#255171 by Scrooge
10 Jul 2008, 23:55
So, as a little side line I am employed by a company who is shall we say very careful when it comes to their internet security as well as building security.

So I do a quick walk around, check out their set up, walk up to the president and say congrats...great job..just one little thing...all your people are using wireless keyboards...meaning anyone can track the key strokes... pretty brilliant of me I think [:D]

Of course his reply is what do I replace them with, wired keyboards just don't work we tried.

Now everything I have seen about encrypted wireless keyboards say that they suck.

Has anyone come across anything that may work ?
#448210 by preiffer
11 Jul 2008, 00:15
...get a cable extender? [:w]
#448211 by Slipperman
11 Jul 2008, 00:20
You walked into that.

Standard management response

'Bring me solutions, not problems'

The wireless info is encrypted, but a quick google will show it's easily cracked....well Micro$ofts anyway.

What is the issue with wired keyboards? Why the benefit with wireless?

RF isn't necessarily the only wireless option. There's still IR, OK, it's line of sight and low range, but an advantage in your scenario.

I assume this is an internal security issue, picking up the RF from a multitude of keyboards in an office would require context to relate some of the information too (Although email intercept would require less context)
#448216 by Scrooge
11 Jul 2008, 07:48
IR was what I came up with as well, but the shorter range may be an issue...
#448218 by Darren Wheeler
11 Jul 2008, 08:36
I'm curious as to why wired don't work. 99% of offices quite easily cope with them. In fact the more wireless you have, the more probes you'll get due to interference.
#448249 by northernhenry
11 Jul 2008, 14:57
I've just clicked into the reply for this with a wired mouse and typing with Wired keyboard??
Whats the prob with wires..?

Did formal training occur to actually plug the 'wired' keyboards in??
#448263 by Darren Wheeler
11 Jul 2008, 15:49
Simple solution to key logging of wireless keyboards. Convert the room into a Faraday Cage then the signals stay in the room.
#448265 by preiffer
11 Jul 2008, 15:54
But what if the culprit is an insider? Ooooh. It's a conspiracy theory just bursting to be announced.... [:w]
#448278 by RichardMannion
11 Jul 2008, 21:25
What about using Bluetooth keyboards? The channel will be secure via the passkey.
#448279 by Howard Long
11 Jul 2008, 21:43
Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Simple solution to key logging of wireless keyboards. Convert the room into a Faraday Cage then the signals stay in the room.

Faraday Cages can be quite convivial. Fourth picture down here is me sitting in one. Your cellphone's not gonna work.

You'll also a nice picture of me at the top about to prepare Turkey Twizzlers for a main and chocolate sponge covered in pink custard with thick skin on the top for dessert.

Cheers, Howard
#448280 by Scrooge
11 Jul 2008, 21:43
Originally posted by RichardMannion
What about using Bluetooth keyboards? The channel will be secure via the passkey.

Oh there you go [y]
#448281 by Darren Wheeler
11 Jul 2008, 22:03
Originally posted by RichardMannion

Well done. I was wondering who would the first to spot that [:w]
Virgin Atlantic