#449150 by McCoy
26 Jul 2008, 03:40
Was in Chicago last week, and saw queues outside the Apple store on Michigan Ave for about three blocks!
This week, in SFO, similar scenes outside the Apple store...
This is definitely a bit of a phenomenon, and a global one at that.

...for a phone!!!!!!

***COI: I got one!
#449153 by Scrooge
26 Jul 2008, 07:45
Originally posted by McCoy
Was in Chicago last week, and saw queues outside the Apple store on Michigan Ave for about three blocks!
This week, in SFO, similar scenes outside the Apple store...
This is definitely a bit of a phenomenon, and a global one at that.

...for a phone!!!!!!

***COI: I got one!

Well you could put it that way or you could say that if Apple would release more phones to AT&T they wouldn't have their customers standing in line all day to get a phone.
#449182 by DragonLady
26 Jul 2008, 22:13
Originally posted by mitchja
Not sure if CPW are allowing upgrades or not [:?]

Certainly are[:D].Popped in to CPW today as visiting M-in law needed a new handset for her ancient pay as you go.No problem to upgrade my contracted 8gb iphone to the 3G and handsets in stock (old 8gb therefore free to be sold, sim card inserted etc..).Question is do I or don't I?
#449183 by mitchja
26 Jul 2008, 22:34
Originally posted by DragonLady
Question is do I or don't I?

2G iPhones are going for about £200-£250 at the moment on eBay. Just be carefull though, as there are lots of iPhone scams on eBay at the moment. If you do sell make sure you say that you wont ship it to anywhere outside the UK.

The other option is to pass it to someone else and they can use it on an O2 monthly or even an O2 PAYG tarrif.

Regards
#449434 by Nevil30
30 Jul 2008, 10:56
Upgraded to the 3g iPhone on the 11 July for £99, unlocked my old iPhone with Ziphone then sold it on ebay for £250 [}:)]

So net profit of £151 for a better handset [y]
#449468 by willd
30 Jul 2008, 17:29
I sympathise with Scrooge having been in the States for the past 3 weeks and seen the queues outside both Apple stores in MCO.

Now back in the UK and gagging to get the phone but am I too late.

O2 are saying only limited stores have stock and they all seem to be in Hull [:w] or around that region. Am not keen on driving up north to pick up an Iphone.

Am worried about signing up for a contract in our local Apple store. Any advice? Do apple still have stock?

Am I better waiting it out and going to o2 to sign up. Clearly am going to avoid CPW (which is now half owned by Best Buy).

For those like me who haven't signed up, this link is pretty useful for cutting the cost down and getting more minutes.
#449485 by mitchja
30 Jul 2008, 22:21
There's an O2 forum on their web site and most user do actually recommend going into an Apple store to sign up and buy an iPhone.

The staff there can perform the O2 credit check (your need a valid form of ID, a debit/credit card and possibly a recent utility bill), they also have full access to O2 portals and can set-up your O2 contract/tariff as well as activating the iPhone for you.

You can check iPhone stock levels in all UK Apple shops after 21:00 every night by selecting your nearest Apple shop here

The only thing Apple stores can't do is perform upgrades if you are an existing O2 customer with or without an iPhone.

Regards
#449502 by bardgal
31 Jul 2008, 00:16
Originally posted by Nevil30
Upgraded to the 3g iPhone on the 11 July for £99, unlocked my old iPhone with Ziphone then sold it on ebay for £250 [}:)]

So net profit of £151 for a better handset [y]

So how do you like your 3G iPhone? I'm hearing that the 3G sucks the life out of the battery much faster than on the original iPhone (which is pretty fast already.)
#449505 by mitchja
31 Jul 2008, 00:23
The thing is with 3G, is that it sucks the life out of most mobile phone batteries.

The iPhone seems no worse than any other 3G handset I've come across. It does seem to last longer than my friends original N95 battery though. Mind you I dont have O2 3G at home or where I work (just everywhere inbetween!!!) The iPhone is always on my WiFi at home and Edge at work.

The one thing I have noticed with my 3G iPhone is that the WiFi doesn't seem as powerful as the iPod Touch WiFi as I can sit in the same place outside McD's with the iPhone and not pick up any WiFi where as I could pick it up using my Touch or old WiFi enabled mobile.

Regards
#449524 by Scrooge
31 Jul 2008, 11:06
When doing some research on the 3G i ran across a site that found that battery life for some strange reason was better with 3G than without, when I get home I will try and find the review, from what I remember they were kind of shocked by this, but they repeated the tests a number of times with the same result, now of course it could be that phone specifically, but kind of interesting.

As a side note...I am still waiting for my phone....As someone said to me yesterday, if it was a company other than Apple people would be going nuts.
#449694 by Scrooge
01 Aug 2008, 22:22
Well it only took them 2 weeks to get me my phone...but yes it was worth the wait, I am very happy with it so far, except for the fact that I have very poor service in my house, but that is nothing new.
#449704 by sixdownkeepsafedepth
01 Aug 2008, 23:49
I managed to track down a 16gb version today and put my hand in my tail. I was like a kid in a sweet factory playing with it all afternoon and am very impressed with the functionality. I was also sold a lovely cover to stop me scratching it. The connection for the headphones is tits up and the phone does not fit in the cover (is the 3g different dimensionally from the original?) Oh well another 40 mile round trip beckons tomorrow [:(!]
#449707 by Scrooge
02 Aug 2008, 05:27
Yes it is a different size cover (of course) but I am happy to say it actually fits in the case I got for my blackjack II
#449712 by karnsculpture
02 Aug 2008, 10:44
I was lucky to get the iPhone on the day of release without a problem (existing o2 iPhone customer - ordered it online).

The battery life seems the same as the first iPhone. I travel a lot for work and the internet functionality is much better when on trains etc. Not had any problems with WiFi either.

I switched off the 'push' email function after it kept waking me up in the night!

It's a great machine I'm just very disappointed that the launch was cocked up. Was in the Apple store in Regent St a few days ago and there was still a queue for them.

As for MobileMe - total joke.
#449714 by sixdownkeepsafedepth
02 Aug 2008, 11:25
After a 40 mile round trip, I have to confess that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my phone. Quite simply I am a nugget. It helps if the plug is inserted very firmly into the phone and not just halfway. I was suitably humble after kicking off in front of a shop full of customers! The hard cover however did not fit and so my journey was not wasted.

Note to self: Always check all possibilities before jumping to a conclusion. [:I]
#449740 by Nevil30
02 Aug 2008, 20:03
I love the new 3g iPhone it seems to lag a little more when typing but otherwise it feels nicer to hold. I would definately recommend it
#449886 by mitchja
05 Aug 2008, 15:28
The bug swatting software update which was launched yesterday (version 2.0.1) does now fix the 'lag' your got when viewing your contacts or when typing.

Regards
#449942 by bardgal
06 Aug 2008, 01:07
I also have no service in my house. Haven't since we switched from Verizon to AT&T so we could get the iPhones when they came out last year.

My first iPhone had a turning off problem. After about 45 ays of operation, it would shut down about 3 to 4 times a day for no reason. The Apple Store replaced it, and the one they gave me had a battery drain problem. about 3x as fast as the first. I could drain the entire battery surfing the web for two hours. First one was no where near that weak, so I traded it out again. No problems since (original - not 3G.)

MobilMe.... not for the price.
#449946 by Nevil30
06 Aug 2008, 08:48
wow it was a big update took ages but the lag is far less than it used to be so 2.01 is definately an improvement, let's hope the safari crashes are reduced as well but I guess only time will tell
Virgin Atlantic