#255222 by easygoingeezer
15 Jul 2008, 12:39
Will try not to rant.

Registered my interest in the 3g iphone upgrade when asked, few weeks later gets my text at 07:59 to log on and order, 6 hours later no joy and 3 other people trying for me as well.

Ahh well.

Gets another text to say go to o2 shop or Carphone Warehouse, goes to carphone and they say out of stock untill Friday 11th but they arn't doing upgrades they don't think, another guy chips in, oh yes we are.

Telephone my Carphone Warehouse shop just by my office and slightly out of town I ask

'Are you doing iphone 3g upgrades for existing iphone customers'
answer ' yes we are its out of stock but I am checking the warehouse and will ring you when they have then and reserve one, then come in and upgrade'

So I go to the shop with my current iphone account number and phone number, he types it in and confirms my address, he asks me what tariff
I am on now, I say I want to move up a tariff and buy the 16g phone for 59.....ok says he.
What card do you use to pay your current iphone, i show it to him and he uses it to do a credit check, I asked him if this was necessary for an existing client, he said 'yes it is'. He then gets me to sign for my new 18 months at 45 and says 'this is your new number' I asked why I had a new number and he said 'you just plug your phone in to your itunes and your old one will move over' ok says I.

Still puzzled and walking out the door I say to the manager ' I am not going to end up with two contracts am I?' No your not says he.

Guess what I have two contracts one for 35 a month with 12 months left and one for 45 a month for a new phone that I havn't got yet.

I go back to the shop after speaking to customer services who confirm I have two contracts and that 'off the record' they get more commission for new contracts this isn't an isolated case. Just as I am walking in to the shop the guy that was serving me points and shouts 'YOU DIDN'T MAKE IT CLEAR YOU WANTED AN UPGRADE' I said if thats the case how do you know thats why I am here. He swore blind I never told him it was an upgrade and his collegue then joined in, eventually after I pointed out that he got my address and details from my current iphone account number and I confirmed it but didn't tell him it he moved to 'well I didn't realise till nearly the end when you asked about the new number', eventually this moved up to 'half way through' and then ' I got confused becausde it was busy'.

The upshot is I have no phone and demanded it cancelled, they refused to do this untill the phone was delivered to the branch, after another row they have refunded my 59 and 'say' its a half cancelled contract untill they can scan the phone that was allocated to me.

So now I wait with everyone else for an iphone, I am waiting to see if the 45 gets taken from my bank and I have no confirmation that the new contract is cancelled.

So my advice is don't trust anyone that sells phones in stores, they are just little thugs that will gang up on a customer for the sake of a commission and acuse customers of lieing if they need to.

I might get in touch with ofcom about it.

It seems hard working people seem to get legally mugged these days by little thugs selling phones, electric, gas, insurance the list goes on and on and on.
#448499 by Pete
15 Jul 2008, 12:56
Hmmm... Carphone Warehouse got into hot water with the first version saying you couldn't buy it without their insurances. Methinks they are a bunch of shysters. I'm glad I got mine from O2.
#448501 by preiffer
15 Jul 2008, 13:36
First off, check your direct debits. If there's a second CPW DD for £45 a month, cancel it with your BANK - Not CPW. Then let them try and chase you for money, not the other way round [y]
#448505 by mitchja
15 Jul 2008, 14:22
Not sure if this applies when buying via CPW, but O2 do offer a 14 day cooling off period when you buy in their shops or via O2 online. As long as you dont damage the handset they will allow you to return it with a full refund, minus any call/SMS allowance you may have used on it.

I guess it depends on how the 'second' iPhone will be billed. Some forums say it's billed via O2, others say CPW when buying from CPW [:?]

Glad I also got mine direct from O2.

Regards
#448512 by sixdownkeepsafedepth
15 Jul 2008, 15:24
Most if not all mobile phone contracts are regulated by the Consumer Credt Act 1974 and the performance under such agreements are registered with the Credit Reference Agencies under 'Credit Agreements' on the consumer's credit file.

Consumer Credit Act 1974
A consumer has a cooling off period of 5 days where:
Credit is involved.
The contract was signed away from trade premises.
There were face to face negotiations with the seller.

The 5-day period begins from the time the second copy of the credit agreement is received by the consumer.'

I would suggest CPW do not have a leg to stand on. Check with Trading Standards!

Regards
Bryan
#448514 by jaguarpig
15 Jul 2008, 15:35
As preiffer says check your DDs and cancel it off before they take the money,the crooks.
#448517 by sixdownkeepsafedepth
15 Jul 2008, 16:18
Originally posted by preiffer
First off, check your direct debits. If there's a second CPW DD for £45 a month, cancel it with your BANK - Not CPW. Then let them try and chase you for money, not the other way round [y]

Do this and you run the risk of having your credit rating decimated! [:?]

Regards
Bryan
#448524 by barnstaple
15 Jul 2008, 18:00
What asses! I can't stand CPW. They always seem to be wideboys!
#448527 by Decker
15 Jul 2008, 19:37
Originally posted by sixdownkeepsafedepth

Regards
Bryan

Think I can live with losing 1 in 10 of my positive credit ratings [:)]
#448528 by preiffer
15 Jul 2008, 20:13
Originally posted by preiffer

Regards
Bryan
Errrr. No. I'd argue it goes against the DD guarantee - it's NOT a charge I agreed to pay.
#448529 by adjonline
15 Jul 2008, 20:21
Yep, but that only relates to the direct debit. CPW could feasibly keep sending you bills, and refer you to debt collectors, and such like. If they did that, it would damage your credit. I believe there's a way of getting around it, but I expect it's not as simple as it should be.
#448531 by Scrooge
15 Jul 2008, 20:28
You guys have it lucky, I was invited to stand in 110 degree 60% humidity for 3 hours yesterday so I could have the privileged of owning a 3G....no prizes for guessing my answer to that statement.
#448547 by Bazz
16 Jul 2008, 09:44
EGG, why does this always happen to you? [?]
#448553 by slinky09
16 Jul 2008, 10:48
Originally posted by Bazz

Because he's a nice guy and not a b*****d ???
#448583 by sixdownkeepsafedepth
16 Jul 2008, 19:57
Originally posted by Decker

Regards
Bryan

Think I can live with losing 1 in 10 of my positive credit ratings [:)]

Decker may be you can afford to lose positive credit ratings, however mere working class erks like myself can not! Have a nice day old bean.

Toodle pip
Bryan[ii]
#448584 by Decker
16 Jul 2008, 20:09
I was just commenting on the abusage of decimate by the vox pop {;)]
#448585 by Tinkerbelle
16 Jul 2008, 20:11
Saw the words 'Carphone Warehouse' and couldn't help but think of this...

[:X]
#448586 by sixdownkeepsafedepth
16 Jul 2008, 20:24
I was just commenting on the abusage of decimate by the vox pop {;)]

My sincere apologies that one went over my head. Note to self- read and inwardly digest posts properly before replying and commenting inappropriately. C'est la vie.

Regards
Bryan

PS yes I do feel a dork [:w]
#448587 by Decker
16 Jul 2008, 20:39
Meh it's one of those pedant peccadilloes - killing one in ten is bad but it isn't a laying waste to the whole population per se. There's a counter argument that as English is a living language the most common usage wins [:)]
#448588 by Scrooge
16 Jul 2008, 21:01
Meh it's one of those pedant peccadilloes - killing one in ten is bad but it isn't a laying waste to the whole population per se. There's a counter argument that as English is a living language the most common usage wins [:)]

Hence the common use of the word peccadilloes [:w]

During a meeting today my boss thought it would be nice to call me to let me know he had just walked into a store and picked one up...For those who know me you can guess my reaction [:w]
#448589 by easygoingeezer
16 Jul 2008, 21:01
Originally posted by slinky09
Originally posted by Bazz

Because he's a nice guy and not a b*****d ???

Thanks for that appreciate it.

Todays post included my first bill for £45 for my non existant phone. Called o2 and after getting passed around a lot they now assure me that the contract is cancelled and I should never have been sold a new contract under false pretense.

Someone should do something about legalised mugging in shops, buyer beware used to be about the product not the institution selling it.
#448594 by Kraken
16 Jul 2008, 22:34
I too have had fun with Carphone Warehouse on a non-iPhone O2 contract.

I upgraded in one of their shops & the contract printed from their till/computer clearly stated 250 inclusive txts a month. CPW now only give me 200 a month. Every 3 months, I have go call them, or go into the store to get the extra txts added. If I call them, they say I am lying & the sales advisor misled me, if I go to the store, they say the same too, until I tell them to reprint the contract, which shows 250 txts. They then have to call Head Office and basically have an argument saying 'look, if he went to Court, the contract clearly says 250 txts a month....' and then I get the extra 50txts a month, for about 3 months.

Suffice it to say when my contract is up (basically now, but I am waiting for the new BlackBerry to appear on O2), I'll be moving to an O2 store contract so I am billed by 'O2 on O2', not 'CPW on O2'.

James
#449143 by Scrooge
25 Jul 2008, 23:23
Just to dredge up this thread...it has now been 7 days since I ordered my I-Phone, it is being shipped all the way from No Cal...I have to give a massive [y] to Apple for their devious plan on how to keep their servers up and running, don't let anyone actually buy the damn phone, just make them order it, don't deliver it, but let them brag to their friends that they are one of the lucky few who are on the list to have it shipped to them...maybe...

Sorry, after this I am done with Apple....till the next I-Phone comes out..then we can all go through this mess again [:w]
#449148 by mitchja
26 Jul 2008, 00:36
In the UK, O2 are no longer doing upgrades online so any existing iPhone users will have to visit an O2 shop to upgrade to the 3G version.

Apple shops can only deal with new customers and even then, there are reports that this is taking about 30mins per customer as Apple now have to run the credit checks and set up the O2 contract as well as activate the iPhone before the customer leaves the shop.

Not sure if CPW are allowing upgrades or not [:?]

Apple shops, O2 shops and CPW shops are finally getting stock now of both the 8 & 16Gb versions. Still no stock online with O2 yet though.

MobileMe finally seems to be more or less working now (Apple also offer a 2 month free trail BTW), although there is a bug if you use Windows and Outlook as the calendar/appointment data doesn't sync back to your PC & Outlook properly.

To get it to show any new apppointments in Outlook you have to change the view and the data does then show properly.

Regards
Virgin Atlantic