#255638 by Howard Long
20 Aug 2008, 11:58
Folks

I did it. I turned coat and went Apple. OK, so I used to write software for the Mac over twenty years ago when 512K RAM was oodles and oodles, and before that the Apple IIe, so I'm not quite a total Apple virgin.

Loving it so far, except for the two calls I've had asking me to take out insurance. Watched a couple of Dragon's Dens via BBC iPlayer last night. That screen is sooo good.

So what are the killer apps?

I'm not much of a games player: Tetris is about my limit. I love gimmicks like iPint. A recommendation for a good scientific/financial calculator would be welcome. Any other suggestions for your favourite apps?

Cheers, Howard
#451075 by mitchja
20 Aug 2008, 12:45
I wish I had bought Netshare before that got pulled [:I]

That enabled your iPhone to link to a lap-top via WiFi to basically turn your phone into a 3G modem. Both O2 and AT&T got that pulled though and doubt it will come back.

Currently playing with GPS Tracker - which is very scary actually, as it tracks your movements using the GPS function which can be monitored by logging into a website.

Good idea for kids with phones so parents know where they are but it will more than likely get used for other purposes.

(it's still very basic so far, in that you have to have the app running for it to track you, as soon as you close the app and use the iPhone for something else it stops the tracking so nothing too covert about it)

Some of the games are quite good.

Regards
#451077 by McCoy
20 Aug 2008, 13:34
You may not be a games player, but at least have a look at Labyrinth (there's a free version to get you started).

A very clever app is Shazam.
#451080 by easygoingeezer
20 Aug 2008, 13:48
I think I have starved to death 5 iGotchi's so far and have decided it can remain deceased.

I like my Spanish language translator, my currency thing, I got the one that works out what to tip abroad as well. Love my iphone coundowns looks like the one below. Play breakout a lot useing the tilt function.

I just got my 16gig 3g and have had my first ever MACBook for about a month and am loving it to be honest.

Not sure what to do with iplayer, how do I get that.
#451087 by mitchja
20 Aug 2008, 14:20
Originally posted by easygoingeezer

Not sure what to do with iplayer, how do I get that.

EGG

Using Safari on your iPhone, just browse to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer The web site does the rest as it will reconise your using an iPhone and load a specific version for you.

It works with an iPod Touch as well.

You need to be connected using WiFi though to use iPlayer, it wont work on GPRS, Edge or even 3G (as with iTunes on your iPhone)

Regards
Virgin Atlantic