#256262 by Pete
24 Sep 2008, 22:33
Anyone know if any of the shops in Terminal 3, Heathrow flog said iPhone power cable? I could have sworn I've already got one, but can't for the life of me find it; and I have a flight in the morning...
#455135 by mitchja
24 Sep 2008, 22:48
Dont VS have iPod ones on-board you can borrow, which I guess should fit [:?]

Regards
#455136 by Pete
24 Sep 2008, 22:49
Worth a shot - although it's one of those things I know I need to have in my laptop bag
#455138 by honey lamb
24 Sep 2008, 22:55
Originally posted by mitchja
Dont VS have iPod ones on-board you can borrow, which I guess should fit [:?]

Regards

And look what happened to my iPod when I used it last year. Fried iPod anyone?

Pete, I was in LGW today and poking around in Dixons (well I did have an hour or three to kill) and they did have a variety of iPod cables. I couldn't tell you if any of them were the iPhone one but it has to be worth a look when you are in LHR
#455142 by Pete
24 Sep 2008, 23:06
Ta HL. That sounds encouraging. I shall confirm whether one can be found in my (obligatory) report from the Clubhouse in the morning.
#455145 by Darren Wheeler
24 Sep 2008, 23:12
I was in the SF Apple store this morning and the only Empower lead I saw was for the MacBooks. Nothing for iPhone or iPods that II could see.
#455148 by Pete
24 Sep 2008, 23:25
Ah, I know they're out there (I bought one already) - just can't find it [;)]
#455149 by preiffer
24 Sep 2008, 23:25
You're not taking your laptop? (USB>iPhone would work...?)

Then again, if the damn things had a battery life of more than 37.2 seconds, maybe it wouldn't be QUITE such an issue... [ii][:w]
#455156 by Pete
24 Sep 2008, 23:48
Well, yes, I am taking the laptop - and I have an Empower -> Magsafe adaptor for that; so the USB option is possible, but it's a bit Heath Robinson. Marcus could also use one for his iPhone, and he's not tooling himself up with a laptop.

BTW, I've also stumped up for the 50MB international data roaming package for the iPhone, so it'll be interesting to see how it lasts for a couple of weeks in the US.
#455159 by preiffer
24 Sep 2008, 23:52
I reckon...

2.4 days. OOOOH - a sweepstake.

How many days will it take for Pete to burn 50MB?

Tiebreaker question for multiple winners: And how much was his final data bill when he returned, to the nearest £1,000?
#455166 by adjonline
25 Sep 2008, 00:17
I'm still annoyed that the iPod adapter for my Kensington air/auto/ac charger won't work on the iPhone 3G. I know Apple changed the charging method, and that is why, but it still increases what I now have to carry.
#455169 by preiffer
25 Sep 2008, 00:19
Changed the charging method? Really?

How come my regular iPod (from any previous dock connector model) cables work fine from my laptop to charge???
#455171 by Pete
25 Sep 2008, 00:26
There's a lot of confusion around what does and doesn't work in the world of iPod/iPhone cables.

My own experience suggests that;
The Bose iPod dock will play the 3G's music, but won't chargeThe Monster iAirPlay Empower Cable for the original iPhone will charge the iPhone 3G, but cuts out the music through the headphonesThe original iPhone AV cable both charges the iPhone 3G and plays out audio/video on the TVAn original iPod dual-lead firewire/usb cable charges the iPhone 3G

There's contradictions in there that I still struggle to figure out!
#455179 by woggledog
25 Sep 2008, 02:46
Originally posted by Pete
BTW, I've also stumped up for the 50MB international data roaming package for the iPhone, so it'll be interesting to see how it lasts for a couple of weeks in the US.

Save yourself a fortune: Go to starbucks, get a prepaid card and put $5 on it. Buy coffee or other assorted beverage with it. Go to URL on back of card and sign up, as well as signing up with AT&T. Two hours free wifi a day at any AT&T wifi hotspot :-)
#455202 by adjonline
25 Sep 2008, 13:06
Originally posted by preiffer
Changed the charging method? Really?

How come my regular iPod (from any previous dock connector model) cables work fine from my laptop to charge???

I think the technical explanation is something to the extent of iPods and the original iPhone supported a firewire-based charging method, whereas the iPhone 3G and newer iPods are only going to support USB-based charging. Accessories that relied on the older based charging method will therefore not work with the newer devices, even though the physical connections appear the same.
#455219 by mitchja
25 Sep 2008, 16:04
There are lots of car chargers etc out there that no longer work with the 3G iPhone.

My old(ish) iPod Touch car charger wouldn't even work with my 3G iPhone.

Apple have also disabled a couple of the power pins on the 3G iPhone for some reason, although some forums state that this could be reversed with a future software upgrade.

Regards
#455231 by thejohn
25 Sep 2008, 17:28
it might be a bit late but buy a powermonkey explorer from dixons or from retail therapy and it will charge nearly all your gadgets and can charge itself by solar panel i never leave home without mine
Virgin Atlantic