#455904 by RichardMannion
01 Oct 2008, 20:37
Originally posted by Nottingham Nick
Link to BBC new story.

Yeah! Course they will, iTunes and iPods aren't making enough money for Mr Jobs, are they? [8D][:w]

Nick

Well not sure what their margin is on iTunes but they won't be taking the majority of it, that's for sure.
#455909 by slinky09
01 Oct 2008, 21:40
Apparently, of the 99c per track sold 70% goes to the record companies and only 10 cents to the recording artist as royatly from the record companies. Seems unfair to me. However the artists are asking for 20c royalty and the record companies are saying they won't include that and will pass it on to Apple, Apple in turn are saying they don't want to increase the 99c price and can't absorb it without retaining some profit. Hence the threat.
#455920 by RichardMannion
01 Oct 2008, 22:42
God help the z-listers then that cover other peoples songs, they'll get nothing at that rate. Whilst Cathy Dennis, Diane Warren, Guy Chambers etc roll it in....
#455921 by n/a
01 Oct 2008, 22:49
I certainly hope this does not impact Lulu.

GJ
#455923 by preiffer
01 Oct 2008, 22:53
Never gonna happen. iTunes dead = iPod sales buggered.
#455928 by RichardMannion
01 Oct 2008, 23:12
Would be interesting to see proportion of people that don't use iTunes (on a buy perspective). I've never bought a song from iTunes - use it to manage my music, and my free podcasts though.
#455929 by Darren Wheeler
01 Oct 2008, 23:20
I haven't used it yet either. But on the basis of recent events I do wish they would tighten security on it.
#455934 by mitchja
02 Oct 2008, 00:00
I've been using iTunes (including iTunes purchases) for a couple of years now and I've not had a problem with security or encountered any card problems what so ever.

There's more info about the Royalty issue here

I read somewhere that Apple are now making almost as much money from their Apps store as their music downloads anyway so that's not going to get pulled.

Regards
#455963 by willd
02 Oct 2008, 11:17
Originally posted by mitchja
I've been using iTunes (including iTunes purchases) for a couple of years now and I've not had a problem with security or encountered any card problems what so ever.

Exactly the same here. Been using it since 2004 and never had any problems. Cant remember the last time I brought a CD.

Wont get pulled, as others have said, its too much of the Apple brand and the app store relies on it.
#456040 by woggledog
02 Oct 2008, 19:48
But surely a hike in the royalty rates would hit ALL music stores, not just Apple's. I'm a fan of the iTunes store. There's a fab collection of music on there, including Indie stuff which the record companies don't see fit to launch. Record companies are nothing but bottom feeders, and the minute everyone becomes aware of that, the better. It's never headlines like 'Record companies refuse to give artists more money' but always 'iTunes refuses to give artists more money.' I wonder if the record companies dare lose the revenue from Apple et al?
#456059 by thejohn
02 Oct 2008, 20:52
I use apple store for both paid music, podcasts, app store and i would miss it IF they pull it. and they do give new artists a outlet for their work even my son's bands music is available via I-Tunes
#456122 by sixdownkeepsafedepth
03 Oct 2008, 17:50
Why use I-tunes store when so much is available for free elsewhere? No artists or music company lawyers as members here are there? It wasn't me guv honest[;)]

Regards
Bryan
Virgin Atlantic