#257151 by fozzyo
06 Dec 2008, 12:14
You can now use your iPod touch as a cheap phone if your in a Wireless Hotspot. Or if you have an iPhone you can save a fortune on international calls or roaming!

http://www.truphone.com

Its a VoIP application that has been getting a lot of positive publicity, you can't use it to receive calls over the Interweb but when your in other countries or abroad its rather good value. When in the states calls cost just 3p a minute to the States or back home!

Will be trying it out from the Big Apple this week.
#461578 by mitchja
06 Dec 2008, 12:25
You can also use FRING too which is in the App Store for free (which I have and use on my iPhone). I've linked my ISP's bundled VoIP account to it which doesn't cost me anything to use.

I get free calls to standard 01, 02 & 03 landline numbers from anywhere in the world!! I also have a local telephone number assigned to my account too so I can receive calls as well.

With Fring, you can also link in other applications such as Skype and IM chat programs (MSN, Yahoo, ICQ etc)

All you do is download the app, set up a free Fring account, then link up all your other chat/VoIP programs.

At the moment though the Fring application is pretty basic when making calls. Once thing I would like to see is the ability to use the keypad during a call like you can with ordinary mobile calls.

Regards
#461987 by sky0000547
11 Dec 2008, 11:53
Used Truphone on my iPhone when I was in Washington and New York. Excellent quality of calls and also used the free credit that came with first registration. With the remaining balance on the phone and the duration of the calls, don't think it was charged at the quoted prices though.