#257386 by VS075
26 Dec 2008, 18:05
Having been able to get enough money over Christmas I've decided I'm going to get an iPod Touch tomorrow after 2 years of excellent service from my iPod Nano.

I am worried though about my library being wiped once I attempt to upload songs onto the new iPod having heard of such issues on here and elsewhere. And to be honest, I don't want to be having to buy new tunes again from iTunes just because I've bought a newer iPod.

I understand that you can download software off the web that allows you to copy tunes between iPods and not have them wiped once you attempt to sync with iTunes for the first time. Can anybody recommend any good programs that will allow me to transfer my music to the new iPod once I buy it, as well as any pointers on what to watch out for (besides Apple wanting to attempt to sue me for copyright infringement!)

I found this thread in the archives with some programs mentioned. Any of these good? http://www.v-flyer.com/forum/topic.asp? ... Terms=iPod

Cheers!
#463009 by honey lamb
26 Dec 2008, 18:26
I'm trying to remember what happened last year when I bought my iPod touch. IIRC, I hooked it up to the computer and it talked me though the stages.
#463010 by locutus
26 Dec 2008, 18:36
I have no problems with a touch and nano on the same PC. I just plugged them in, didn't have to do anything. I think you're getting confused with syncing an ipod that has music on it already. Yours is new, so won't have any. It's not a problem.
#463011 by mitchja
26 Dec 2008, 18:40
You can sync more than one iPod or iPhone with any iTunes account.

iTunes will just see you Touch as a new device and sync it as normal.

Regards
#463012 by VS075
26 Dec 2008, 18:44
That's all good to hear. [:)]

Admittedly I might've been getting confused with moving the iTunes library to a new computer or, as locutus pointed out, moving music from an iPod to one that already has music on it. I just wanted to check whether my music will transfer over without fuss or deletion, so that's reassuring.
#463018 by ukcobra
26 Dec 2008, 21:53
The issue I think you are referring to, is when you have a functioning iPod that you want to get a new install of iTunes to recognise. i.e after a new purchase of a laptop or a hard drive failure.

I am going through this process tomorrow morning for a friend of mine.

In the past i've used a piece of software called iPod Access, but I hear that from iTunes 7.2 onwards it should be feasible to do it without buying any software.

I'll let you know how i get on.
#463237 by oxmatt
31 Dec 2008, 15:35
quote:Originally posted by mitchja
You can sync more than one iPod or iPhone with any iTunes account.

iTunes will just see you Touch as a new device and sync it as normal.

Regards

yes - you can even set them up to sync different playlists etc (i.e. so you can have a running/gym tunes on a shuffle).

I agree that it is probably the syncing an ipod which already has music on to a different itunes account that you have read about.
#463256 by mcmbenjamin
31 Dec 2008, 18:48
Found this in the SkyMall catalog during my flight to nowhere via Detroit. LGA-(headed to MDW)-Diverted to DTW-Flew back to LGA (and arrived at the same gate with the same gate agent.
Virgin Atlantic