#463798 by Scrooge
06 Jan 2009, 22:38
Only beat you by an hour [:w] link

Though it is worth a thread all of it's own.
#463804 by Scrooge
06 Jan 2009, 22:51
I was busy trying to order the new Macbook
#463809 by pjh
06 Jan 2009, 23:27
Slightly OT but an interesting story heresuggesting that the vast majority (80-85%) of tracks available on line didn't get a single download all of 2008?

It's obvious as to the why: no gatefold sleeves, no Roger Dean cover art, nowhere to see who played cowbell on track 2....

It would be interesting to see some of their research, as my experience suggests their analysis may be potentially at fault. I've never bought a track off iTunes (or Amazon, or Play..) but have bought direct from artists' websites..

Paul
#463830 by Jacki
07 Jan 2009, 10:41
Now I'm really showing my age, I have no idea how to download! My son sorts out my IPod and I use CD's in the car - I'm 50 and most of my friends do the same so maybe the cost isn't the only problem. Just got a Blackberry so maybe now is the time to learn.
#463882 by mcmbenjamin
07 Jan 2009, 15:42
Well I bit the bullet and upgraded. Price is shocking to upgrade the full library. There is not an option to only upgrade some songs/albums. BUT will be nice as I will only need to carry my BlackBerry Strom.

This iTunes DRM-free news is playing right into RIM and other PDA/Smartphone makes hands. I would wonder if Apple's iPhone market share slips due to DRM-free music.
#463888 by pjh
07 Jan 2009, 16:59
quote:Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Well I bit the bullet and upgraded. Price is shocking to upgrade the full library. There is not an option to only upgrade some songs/albums. BUT will be nice as I will only need to carry my BlackBerry Strom.

This iTunes DRM-free news is playing right into RIM and other PDA/Smartphone makes hands. I would wonder if Apple's iPhone market share slips due to DRM-free music.

Benjamin

Not being an on-line music user, I'm a bit lost as to what you mean when you talk about the 'upgrade'. Have you had to pay an adjustment to remove the DRM component on the tunes you already have ?

Paul
#463893 by mitchja
07 Jan 2009, 17:35
Paul

On the iTunes store home page, you should see a link to upgrade your tracks to iTunes Plus, ie DRM free and at a higher bit record rate, 256kbps instead of the usual 128kbps. The track file sizes will be bigger as well, so might be a problem if you are short of space on your device.

Top right of the screen under the Quick Links menu, labelled 'Upgrade My Library' with the number of tracks requiring upgrading next to it. Mine says 14. It cost 20p per track to upgrade. This link has actually been there for some time now even before iTunes decided to go DRM free.

The special upgrade price will depend on how many non-iTunes plus tracks you have previously purchased. Mine will cost me £4.60 as there's not actually that many purchased tracks that arn't already iTunes Plus.

Regards
#463909 by mcmbenjamin
07 Jan 2009, 19:23
Paul,

My iTunes library is pretty large. When I went to upgrade to DRM-free versions, I paid ($220ish) and was told I would get an e-mail when I could download all my music. I will let you know how that process goes. The cost to upgrade is dependant on the size of the iTunes library bought from Apple.

Why would you want to pay to upgrade? Well you can use the upgraded music/video on any music player, etc not just a computer with iTunes, iPod, or iPhone.
Virgin Atlantic