#257547 by preiffer
08 Jan 2009, 09:53
OK, so my shiny new setup has a chink in its armo(u)r...

I have a new MBP 15, connected to a lovely 24' LED Cinema Display. It has a wireless keyboard, wireless mighty mouse, wireless printer/scanner, the works. All connected to a Wireless-N router, which is great.

...and then, out of the back of the cinema display hangs my Time Machine backup drive via USB.

So what's the problem? a) it looks kak (sp?). b) every time I want to unplug my MBP to use it as a laptop, I forget to eject the USB drive first from the desktop and then OSX bitches and whines etc.

Therefore... I've decided I need a network backup instead of USB. Now, I *could* just get a 1TB one of these (I reckon 1TB is the minimum against a 320GB HDD), buuuut they hardly get great reviews, even on Apple's site. My wireless router has two USB slots as well as ethernet ones, but I AM tempted by the 'one box' solution if possible.

So, does anyone already have a Time Capsule? Does it actually work? Any other alternatives? Not that fussed about form over function, as it's the one bit that's hidden away [:w]

Cheers [y]
#463967 by ukcobra
08 Jan 2009, 10:02
I am about to buy one too, I have a couple of friends that swear by them. Time Machine has saved me from a corrupted user account since it was introduced with Leopard.

The 1TB option is a bit pricy, however, I think you could cope with 500GB, as TM only does a differential backup once it has it's original one stored, and it's easy to delete old backups to free up data. It all depends on if you have more than 1 Mac you want to use the TC to backup.

Mark
#463968 by preiffer
08 Jan 2009, 10:07
Hmm. Problem is the volume of changes I have. I'll easily shift 2GB per week (content there one day, not the next, replaced with final content the next). So, my current 320GB TM drive only lasts around 6 months against 150GB of HDD right now [:(]
#463981 by northernhenry
08 Jan 2009, 11:32
Currently running Timecapsule on Home hub, seems to perform ok (although not yet had to retreive anything), the process of backup just happens in the back ground with no real effect on current apps.
The first backup takes an age, although as mentioned once this is done, only updating your changes. Backs up two accounts home Imac and a MB.

Wife does a lot on video editing, so can also attach second HD to Timecapsule as we've done to give you more capacity
#463993 by RichardMannion
08 Jan 2009, 13:02
Have you sorted the wireless AC yet Paul? Or is the battery in the MBP quite good?
#463996 by preiffer
08 Jan 2009, 13:13
Ha ha [:)]

Nah, the battery seems ok and the cinema display powers the whole lot with its one cable from the side [y]
#464009 by Tinkerbelle
08 Jan 2009, 14:39
quote:Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Get this and an AirPort Extreme.

2 TB [:0]
#464018 by fozzyo
08 Jan 2009, 15:07
quote:Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
2 TB [:0]

You know what these boys are like. Size queens the lot of em! [}:)]
#464074 by thejohn
08 Jan 2009, 21:55
I have the same set up as NH time capsule connected by ethernet to bt home hub so you can have two wireless networks one B/G and the other N they seem to work well but TC can some times hang on preparing to back up but a restart of the MB or TC normally sorts it out
#464085 by woggledog
09 Jan 2009, 00:10
I have a 500GB Time capsule and let time machine run on it's own.

XP managed to wipe my partition tables over Chrimbo. After 3 days, I managed to recover the one file I hadn't got backed up.

Got home, reinstalled mac os x, and ran time machine. Perfect. Every single thing put back it it's rightful place

I like the time capsule over the airport extreme with external HDD, as the TC powers down the HDD when it's not in use, there is just the one power cable, and everything is just in the one box!
#464123 by preiffer
09 Jan 2009, 13:22
Hmmm.

I didn't actually realise that the TC DOESN'T have an ADSL router built in - so I need to keep my existing one and hang it off of that with an ethernet cable. So much for 'one box solution'... [n]

Anyway, I've gone with it - should be here Monday... [:w]

Now I just have to work out where I'm going to hide the TWO boxes and TWO power supplies... [}:)]
#464163 by woggledog
09 Jan 2009, 18:10
quote:Originally posted by preiffer
Hmmm.
I didn't actually realise that the TC DOESN'T have an ADSL router built in - so I need to keep my existing one and hang it off of that with an ethernet cable. So much for 'one box solution'... [n]

Give us a shout if you have any issues!
Virgin Atlantic