#257576 by RichardMannion
09 Jan 2009, 21:49
In the next hour or so, the public beta of Windows 7 will be available to download from http://microsoft.com/windows7

Worth having a look and play with. I've been doing a lot of work on it, and the performance and reliability is extremely good - and it works well on Netbooks too!

If you have MSDN or TechNet, it is already available to download from the subscriber download portals.
#704191 by locutus
09 Jan 2009, 22:18
It was reported to be available from 8pm, but everything keeps timing out. [xx(]

Still, I'll keep trying!
#704202 by mitchja
09 Jan 2009, 23:46
Doesn't look like the download is available yet. It seems MS are adding extra hardware to cope with demand first.

Looking at the Windows 7 forums, it's looking like it will be about a 2.5GB download (DVD iso file) so I think I'll download it over night, so not to take a big chunk out of my monthly download allowance!!

Regards
#704203 by RichardMannion
10 Jan 2009, 00:10
We're expecting a lot of demand for the public beta, and there will be a cap on the number of beta keys.
#704206 by locutus
10 Jan 2009, 00:17
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
We're expecting a lot of demand for the public beta, and there will be a cap on the number of beta keys.

Which is why I wanted mine before bed, as I can't see many being left in the morning. Ah well. I have work tomorrow, so night night! [|)]
#704213 by Scrooge
10 Jan 2009, 02:54
I was looking for you on MSN as I had seen that it is supposed to be released in the June/July time frame.

And I guess they filled their quota [:#]
#704217 by Howard Long
10 Jan 2009, 04:19
[Luddite]

How does Windows 7 improve business productivity and pay for itself?

[/Luddite]

H
#704263 by mitchja
10 Jan 2009, 15:01
Still no sign of the download [:?]

Also where does MS get the 7 from? 7 doesn't follow on from previous versions of Windows if you start from Windows 3.0 and work up [:?]

Regards
#704269 by HighFlyer
10 Jan 2009, 15:23
LOL I remember thinking the same thing. Its the next release after Windows NT 6 (Vista) (Windows 5 = Windows XP, etc) but yeah, 'interesting' release name.

Thanks,
Sarah
#704277 by RichardMannion
10 Jan 2009, 15:46
quote:Originally posted by mitchja
Still no sign of the download [:?]

Also where does MS get the 7 from? 7 doesn't follow on from previous versions of Windows if you start from Windows 3.0 and work up [:?]

Regards

7th Generation [;)]

1.0 = 1
2.0 = 2
3.xx = 3
9x = 4
NT4/2000/XP = 5
Vista = 6
7 = 7

Not my logic mind you!

The beta download will be back up soon, the demand is immense.
#704302 by mitchja
10 Jan 2009, 19:33
The download is now available.

Regards
#704326 by mitchja
11 Jan 2009, 00:18
OK downloaded and installed here. Got it running on a separate HDD on my home PC and I've finally got in running in Parallels on my MacBook.

Seems OK so far, although the taskbar is a little on the chunky side. It feels very much like Vista in many ways, though I guess it's different under the bonnet.

Regards
#704330 by Scrooge
11 Jan 2009, 05:52
Downloading it now, James do you care to expand on your thoughts ?

Is it worth playing with right now ?
#704332 by Darren Wheeler
11 Jan 2009, 09:08
I've downloaded it and will have a play in the week. Now, shall I laptop or netbook it?
#704347 by mitchja
11 Jan 2009, 14:54
It looks and feels like Vista in many ways.

The taskbar is slightly different (now managed to make it smaller). When you have several windows open at the same time, rather then getting wide boxes along the taskbar, you now have small boxes. If you have multiple tabs open in IE8 and you hover over the task boxes, you see all the open tabs as mini views and hovering over each mini view box displays the full webpage tab (I guess this only shows if Aero is working though)

The start menu is almost the same as Vista except theres now a 'Getting started' section at the top which has shortcuts to a few things like creating new users, transfer files etc.

Instead of a 'printers' menu theres now a 'printers and devices' menu which displays your attached devices as well as printers.

One thing that is different is that after you have opened say Windows Explorer you then get the usual shortcut appearing in the start menu, but now rather than having to click the link to open it again, you can navigate within Windows Explorer from within the start menu as Windows Explorer expands it to create a menu.

Windows Explorer now looks even more like Finder in OS X but is much easier to navigate than it was in Vista (I never liked the Vista version).

It's sightly slower to boot up compared to Vista but displays a similar log-in screen to Vista.

Everything on my Dell XPS420 works OK (just needed an Intel SM bus driver, which I found after Googling it)

The only thing that doesn't work properly is my Microsoft USB finger print reader!! (even with Vista drivers it wont let me register my finger print and the Windows 7 built-in biometric control panel app doesn't see it either.)

As I downloaded the 32bit version, it still wont use more than 3.3Gb of physical RAM (I have 4Gb installed on my PC).

I'll post a bit more as I find more things.

Regards
#704379 by mitchja
11 Jan 2009, 18:18
One thing that isn't there, is an email program.

You will need to use one of your own.

Regards
#704386 by Darren Wheeler
11 Jan 2009, 18:47
Still lots more for you to find James! [:D]

Ooo, treasure hunt.
#704391 by RichardMannion
11 Jan 2009, 19:34
quote:Originally posted by mitchja

Regards

Windows Mail, and a few other bits have been moved in to the Live family. You can download the new wave of Live programs here:
http://download.live.com/?mkt=en-gb
#704393 by mitchja
11 Jan 2009, 19:53
[quote]Originally posted by mitchja

Regards

Windows Mail, and a few other bits have been moved in to the Live family. You can download the new wave of Live programs here:
http://download.live.com/?mkt=en-gb

Who's idea was that? I want a proper email client and none of this web mail/IM rubbish.

Regards
#704394 by preiffer
11 Jan 2009, 19:54
It's one of them there cloudy thingies.... [:w]
#704406 by Nottingham Nick
11 Jan 2009, 20:59
quote:Originally posted by preiffer
It's one of them there cloudy thingies.... [:w]

What, like the ones Apple have got? [:D]
#704435 by RichardMannion
11 Jan 2009, 23:29
By moving the mail program out of the OS, it doesn't tie updates to the OS release/refresh cycle. Also removes components that not everyone will want/need - if they do need them, they are free to download. So reduces footprint of the OS.

It is a full app, not a Internet/Cloud based app. It's just falls under the Windows Live branding.
http://download.live.com/wlmail
#704444 by mitchja
12 Jan 2009, 00:29
By moving the mail program out of the OS, it doesn't tie updates to the OS release/refresh cycle. Also removes components that not everyone will want/need - if they do need them, they are free to download. So reduces footprint of the OS.

I hope that means a reduction in the final retail cost of Windows 7 then. There's no way I'm would be willing to pay the full price for Windows 7 if it's going to cost the same as what Vista costs minus things like email software etc.

Again we have MS telling users what they do and dont need in an O/S. If mail stays under the 'Live' branding many users will have the same webmail thought as I had before you explained it.

Just had my first BSOD too here [:w]

Regards
Virgin Atlantic