#257708 by easygoingeezer
18 Jan 2009, 10:47
My other arf bless him bought me an ACER notebook thing with linux on it. Never heard of it, anyway found out that itunes is a no no, any idea how I can get my music over to the linux so I can use the little thing for traveling. The internet bit is lovely and it has 120g hard drive so its ok, just pretty inept for me without music and video.

Otherwise I will just have to hide it somewhere and hope he forgets he bought me it.

Cheers.
#464997 by Scrooge
18 Jan 2009, 11:20
Do a search for banshee music player, I think that will take care of it
#464999 by HighFlyer
18 Jan 2009, 11:41
It should already have an iTunes like program on it? My Asus EEE did. If i plugged in an SD card with music on, it would recognise the file format and bring up the program. Failing that, as Scrooge suggests. there are a lot of Linux music programs, Amarok is my preference, Banshee is also good, both work with the iPod directly.

If you are feeling ultra techy, you could install WINE, which will allow you to run Windows program on Linux. See this tutorial for an overview.

Let us know if you need any help. I have run Linux for years. If you are a Windows user it can take some getting used to, the bonus being that you can do anything with Linux, once you have figured out how to do it [:)]

Thanks,
Sarah
#465005 by easygoingeezer
18 Jan 2009, 12:49
Cant even figure out how to run what I have downloaded nothing will open up either banshee or the other one. I have an ASPIRE-ONE notebook but what type of linux it is I am unsure.

My ipod has been recognised but it says its not possible to read whats on it.

This machine may be heading for the bin, wonder if ASDA will take it back.
#465006 by easygoingeezer
18 Jan 2009, 13:00
quote:Originally posted by easygoingeezer
Cant even figure out how to run what I have downloaded nothing will open up either banshee or the other one. I have an ASPIRE-ONE notebook but what type of linux it is I am unsure.

My ipod has been recognised but it says its not possible to read whats on it.

This machine may be heading for the bin, wonder if ASDA will take it back.

I have bitten the bullet and given it him back.
#465007 by HighFlyer
18 Jan 2009, 13:16
Awww. [:(]

I believe you have Linpus installed on there. Its a 'lite' version of Linux, but you can switch it to 'Full mode' that makes it look like a proper desktop instead of having child like giant icons, and you need to enable this mode to install programs. From there you can go to 'System' amd 'Add/Remove programs'.

Thanks,
Sarah
#465021 by Darren Wheeler
18 Jan 2009, 15:00
Yes, Linpus the crock on it. Install Ubuntu and enjoy!!
#465022 by HighFlyer
18 Jan 2009, 15:05
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Yes, Linpus the crock on it. Install Ubuntu and enjoy!!

Totally agree!

EGG - the other option of course is for you to install Windows on it. No need to throw it away if its just the O/S that you dont like.

Thanks,
Sarah
#465024 by Scrooge
18 Jan 2009, 15:21
has anyone tried to put an apple os on one of these yet ?
Virgin Atlantic