#257757 by David
20 Jan 2009, 09:41
Can anyone tell me the pros/cons between the 2 hard drives SSD vs HDD

Am looking at the new Vaio P series (now before you all go yuck, I have had 3 Vaio's and they have never let me down [:p]) and it gives you the option to upgrade from a 60GB HDD to a 128GB SSD.

Many thanks for your words of wisdom. [|:)]

David

Viao P Series
#465288 by Darren Wheeler
20 Jan 2009, 09:59
Have a look HERE

For my money I'd go for the HHD as a 120GB will cost £40 against £300+ for a SSD

OMMV.
#465298 by Scrooge
20 Jan 2009, 10:48
exactly, while ssd's will be the way in the future right now they are just not competitive on price.

Also depending on which unit you get there is a limit to the number of times a sector can be written on.

I will post a link when I get home to a complete breakdown of the ssd v hd thing.
#465322 by OxfordNick
20 Jan 2009, 13:09
I've tried a few SSDs at work now & while we did get some problems with the early drives, the latest one we've had (which is one of the new Intel drives) is looking really impressive - you really do notice the difference in the time things take to load & there's a big improvement in performance under load (which in our case is having far too many word documents & outlook messages open at once & swapping between them). The chances are that the next batch of laptops we buy will have the SSD option.

Not sure if I would spend the extra £££ for SSD in this case - kinda depends what you intend to use the machine for, theres not much point if its just for web access, doing the odd bit of WP & watching movies.
#465326 by MarkedMan
20 Jan 2009, 14:25
I'd have to agree - few people need SSD technology right now on a laptop, and the cost is pretty out of whack. I had to laugh at the price difference for an SSD-equipped Mac Air when they came out last year. And the technology is somewhat OS-sensitive.
#465369 by NV43
20 Jan 2009, 22:44
I've just opted not to go for SSD (Dell XPS with RAID array)as the price is just too high at the moment but they do load a lot faster and use less power.
#465388 by Scrooge
21 Jan 2009, 00:22
Here you go, a good article with the pros and the cons

link
Virgin Atlantic