#257928 by Howard Long
31 Jan 2009, 15:56
The links keep taking me to a Google malware warning page. Interestingly I had a cached Google results page still about that worked then didn't after a reload. Now I see Google's added malware warnings on the search results pages.

I assume this is global and not just me?

Howard
#466710 by locutus
31 Jan 2009, 16:15
Yes, lots of people seem to be reporting this issue. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon. Other search engines are available [:D]
#466717 by pjh
31 Jan 2009, 16:50
[:?] I'm getting no malware warnings just Google as normal.

Paul

ps I am, of course, careful not to type 'Google' into Google as that would break the internet
#466718 by Howard Long
31 Jan 2009, 16:59
quote:Originally posted by pjh

Paul

ps I am, of course, careful not to type 'Google' into Google as that would break the internet

It appears to be working now. Someone clearly pushed the wrong button at some point. Amazing how I've inadvertently and subconsciously become so dependent.

Copying and pasting the URLs displayed in the search results worked, as of course did other search engines.

Cheers, Howard
#466725 by Scrooge
31 Jan 2009, 17:50
Interesting, as Google have a number of server farms doted around the world, as Howard said, someone pushed the wrong button somewhere, but for all the servers to react that quickly probably means it was something preplanned that did not go as they thought it should have.

Oh well Gore can breath again, his internet is safe.

quote:Originally posted by pjh

Paul

Well I had to try...only 2,630,000,000 results found.
#466734 by Nottingham Nick
31 Jan 2009, 18:39
BBC News report, into Google's current problems.

Basically, they don't know what the problem was, but they have fixed it. [:D][}:)]

Bet it was a bloke who said that. [:w]

Edit - the Female spokesperson now says it was 'human error!' [?][|:)]

Nick
#466742 by Pete
31 Jan 2009, 20:04
I was getting it on google.com, but switched to google.co.uk and all was fine.
#466789 by Howard Long
01 Feb 2009, 01:15
quote:Originally posted by Pete
I was getting it on google.com, but switched to google.co.uk and all was fine.

I tried exactly the same, but it didn't work for me.

Sounds like it was a case of operator error after all, with someone keying in a slash rather than a full url. Interstingly, the fault changed about half way through the outage. Initially there was nothing suggesting a badware link on the original search results page, although the links failed to the badware page. Later on, the badware warnings appeared on the results page too. Maybe in the panic to fix the first problem, they broke something else. Just a hunch, never done anything like that myself, of course.

H
Virgin Atlantic