#257996 by northernhenry
06 Feb 2009, 20:07
My Folks are off to NZ for March, lucky Bu55ers. And back on the A380 [:(!] (sorry Neil)

They have a simple Nokia phone with pay-as-you go sim.

Staff at local Carphone asylum said ' Oh no this won't work in NZ you'll need X X X' [}:)]

I'm suggesting they take phone & buy a local sim in NZ on pay-as-you go (it will be mainly for calls within NZ)

Would the phone need to be anything specific , Believe they have a triband (as works in US). But I missed the whole phone techy thing and not much use.
(my company supplied one just rings and annoys me)

Any suggestions

[?]

NH
#467414 by mitchja
06 Feb 2009, 20:29
Australia and New Zealand use the standard GSM system so any dual-band handset will work (so that's basically any handset)

Yes getting a PAYG SIM is a good idea, but you will first have to make sure the handset is not locked to it's current UK network (most are these days)

It might be easier to buy a PAYG handset + SIM when they get to NZ.

Regards
#467415 by Scrooge
06 Feb 2009, 20:38
I went through this with my in laws, they ended up getting a prepaid sim card while they were there .

Go HERE to find the store closest to where they will be.

From there the store should be able to walk them through the set up of the account, according to the FIL it was very easy.
#467438 by mcmbenjamin
06 Feb 2009, 23:11
US Readers: NZ also uses CDMA too. Verizon works on ALL phones!
#740389 by Golf747
23 Mar 2010, 10:29
Easiest way to see if your phone is unlocked (as it would need to be if you wish to use it overseas with a local SIM card) is to take the SIM out and borrow one from someone else here on a different network, put it in and if it works then your phone is not locked. The last 3 phones I have had (for myself and wife) have all come unlocked straight from the phone company. I travel overseas regularly, including NZ and sort out a SIM card on arrival.
#740394 by twosheds
23 Mar 2010, 11:03
We bought a cheap handset & pre paid Sim from one of the numerous Vodafone stores and sold both on our return to the UK through E bay, and actually ended up in profit!
#740440 by willd
23 Mar 2010, 19:29
Just pop straight into Vodafone (I even believe there is one at AKL and CHC) and buy a PAYG sim card. Back in 03 they cost about $30NZ which is not that bad. Back in the day Telecom NZ did a pretty good offer for PAYG sim card only customers, something along the lines of free texts. That was a number of years ago and am not sure if they still do the offer. However just head into a Vodafone or Telecom NZ shop and ask for a pre-paid sim.
Virgin Atlantic