#258442 by David
18 Mar 2009, 01:23
Looking for some help and inspiration - spent the last 3 hours trying to install a stupid ipod nano onto a vista machine. After scanning the internet, it seems there is a common problem with vista not finding the correct drivers and thus not installing the ipod. (something to do with the usb mass storage driver)

Have tried numorous fixes, including pointing machine to windows\system32, reinstalling itunes, etc etc

Anyone any ideas.......... please

many thanks

David
#710357 by PeterStansfield
18 Mar 2009, 11:30
Simple

Firstly you have to remember that VISTA isn't a computer operating system, but a corporate 'joke' from Microsoft.

Buy a Mac, and you'll have no problems. You'll also have no problems with viruses, and virus software, spyware, anti spyware, firewalls, anti firewalls.

In fact you'll have so much spare time you'll be able to enjoy your music...
#710360 by Scrooge
18 Mar 2009, 12:15
Well Peter, that helped, and please keep living the dream, there are plenty of viruses out there for macs.

To the op, what version of vista are you running?
#710363 by David
18 Mar 2009, 12:49
quote:Originally posted by Scrooge
Well Peter, that helped, and please keep living the dream, there are plenty of viruses out there for macs.

LOL [:D]

It's vista business (32 bit)

thanks

David
#710364 by Darren Wheeler
18 Mar 2009, 13:01
Not sure about the Nano, but my Touch works well with Mohave 64-bit through iTunes. I have read of issues when trying to use iPods as a USB storage device, but then I use dedicated USB drives for portable data.
#710365 by PeterStansfield
18 Mar 2009, 13:06
Interestingly, the only people that believe that there are viruses for Macs are people who also sell 'software' (or is that snake oil) to 'cure' them

Apple are offering $10,000 to anyone who can demonstrate a virus to them, so if there are that many around how come you haven't won yet?

Or have you :)-
#710366 by David
18 Mar 2009, 13:09
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Not sure about the Nano, but my Touch works well with Mohave 64-bit through iTunes. I have read of issues when trying to use iPods as a USB storage device, but then I use dedicated USB drives for portable data.

Reading through the reams and reams of pages about it, it seems to be a problem specific to the Nano (3rd or 4th Gen I think) in that Vista seems to think it is a usb storage device rather than an ipod and tries to install the wrong drivers. (but I could be wrong[?])

(its amazing how something so small, can mess up a night - where's the smiley for banging your head against the wall [:D])
#710368 by RichardMannion
18 Mar 2009, 13:19
quote:Originally posted by PeterStansfield
Interestingly, the only people that believe that there are viruses for Macs are people who also sell 'software' (or is that snake oil) to 'cure' them

Apple are offering $10,000 to anyone who can demonstrate a virus to them, so if there are that many around how come you haven't won yet?

Or have you :)-

We can discuss vulnerabilities if you want? Don't believe the hype.

Buying a Mac seems an expensive way of fixing a problem with a Nano but then I suppose it would help close the gap of people using an iPod on a Mac to the number using an iPod on a PC.

Anyway we digress with another silly Mac vs. PC discussion that will lead nowhere.

David, what's the exact error that you are getting and I can try and help?
#710369 by Scrooge
18 Mar 2009, 13:41
David, listen to Richard

Peter, would you like me to send you a copy of leapa?
#710371 by Scrooge
18 Mar 2009, 13:43
I should also note that yet again I will be spending my day trying to get osx to run on my pc.
#710393 by PeterStansfield
18 Mar 2009, 15:49
Hi Scrooge / RichardMannion / David

Looking back over this thread, I'd like to apologise for 'stealing' it towards the MAC / PC argument.

I now realise that this is inappropriate, and irrelevant to the majority of V-Flyers, who just want to fly somewhere comfortably

(I felt particularly in need to apologise to Scrooge, as I'm in Las Vegas next month, and I imagined him following me down the Strip 'spraying' an aerosol of Leap.A all over me - horrible thought!)

Is my apology accepted?
#710400 by Scrooge
18 Mar 2009, 16:37
Lmfao, no need to apologize, friendly debate is part of this site.
#710438 by David
19 Mar 2009, 00:06
Ok many thanks for all your help so far this has given me a headache ! ( not all the posts, but this b**** iPod [;)])

Blow by blow step connected iPod to machine, new hardware found came up but then didnt install correctly. Installed latest version of iTunes iTunes didnt recognise any device connected to it.

Uninstalled iTunes - reinstalled

Went in to device manager and device was there (not recognised as an iPod) but with yellow triangle. Into properties to try and reinstall driver didnt install but came up with windows unable to install drivers for this device. This operation requires an interactive windows station. (roughly)

Tried to reinstall driver again by pointing it to c:\windows same error message, tried to reinstall again by pointing it to c:\windows\system32 same error message.

Tried different usb ports and reinstallation of driver again, but still same error message.

IPod screen shows as connected and charging, but vista doesnt recognise it

thanks again

David
#710440 by RichardMannion
19 Mar 2009, 00:16
Have you got Vista SP1 installed? Need to check as there is a fix to the USB storage driver stack via a hotfix, and it was included in SP1.
#710469 by David
19 Mar 2009, 10:27
Thanks for reply Richard - it 'should' have auto updating switched on, but will check when I get home.

If that fixes it, I wont reply, just listening for the banging my head will make when it makes contact with the nearest wall [:D]

I definately need a holiday [:w]

David
#710474 by RichardMannion
19 Mar 2009, 11:14
Hi David,

To add, have you tried it on another computer to identify whether it is a problem with the Nano itself, or the PC.

SP1 would be a good idea as it includes lots of updates; the particualr update that is of interest is this one:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936824/en-us

as it includes an update to USBSTOR. It will tell you when you attempt to install if it is not needed/already installed.

You can then go to device manager and 'uninstall' the device that is alledging to be the iPod. The try plugging it back in again.

Thanks,
Richard
#710962 by David
25 Mar 2009, 22:02
Hi Richard,

Auto updating is on, so I assume SP1 is installed, plugged it into a laptop with XP and it connected straight away.

I will try and reinstall SP1 again, just in case.

Any other ideas ?

thanks again

David
#710964 by David
25 Mar 2009, 22:24
just found out SP1 failed to install around 20 times with an error code of 800B0100

Any ideas ?

thanks

David
#710980 by David
26 Mar 2009, 00:07
error code as follows

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)

Installation date: #8206;31/#8206;12/#8206;2008 19:45

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800B0100

Update type: Important

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) is an update to Windows Vista that addresses key feedback from our customers. Windows Vista SP1 addresses specific reliability and performance issues, supports new types of hardware and adds support for several emerging standards. After you install this item, you will have to restart your computer.

More information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... a/bb738089

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936330

it has failed evry day since initial failure

thanks again

David
#710984 by mitchja
26 Mar 2009, 00:49
Another thing to try (if you havn't already) is sticking a USB self-powered hub inbetween the iPod and your PC. That sometimes helps as USB is prone to power issues.

Apple tell you not to use a USB hub with their iPhones but I do and have never encountered any problems even when updating the software on my iPhone.

USB problems are probably only going to get worse once USB3 and wireless USB arrives, which isn't far away.

Regards
Virgin Atlantic