#258671 by mcmbenjamin
03 Apr 2009, 21:50
So I have asked around and got a whole bunch of different answers.

I need a new notebook and like the MacBook Pro 15 inch, 2.66Ghz, 320GB HHD. Issue is to upgrade the processor and/or hard drive speed.

Processor: From what I hear, the 2.66Ghz is fast and with the 4GB of RAM a sick mofo of a machine. $300 to upgrade but do not see why.

Hard Drive: Seek times would be quicker on the 7,200 RPM versus the 5,400 RPM. But it the 7,200 RPM would use more battery (slight) and would run warmer. I normally am not doing multimedia, games, etc. $50 to upgrade now; $130 for a new hard drive later (320GB @ 7,200GB, easy to swap).

Other issue is if I upgrade I would have to pay sales tax as Apple does not have in store and does not arrange for upgraded products. I would buy the notebook on a trip to Philadelphia, with a stop in tax free Delaware.

Help! [:p]
#711790 by PeterStansfield
03 Apr 2009, 22:05
It really depends WHAT you want it for. If you're developing code,editing video or running photoshop on vast images, go for the best processor / most memory / biggest disc

If not, save some money. The 'basic' configuration machines are well capable of running Office, sending emails, and running iPhoto.

To support my assertions, the CTO of Intel is busy thinking of hard processor hungry apps so that everyone has to upgrade to their latest chips. Sometimes clock speeds are a bit like 'willy waving' - mine's bigger / faster than yours....
#711792 by mcmbenjamin
03 Apr 2009, 22:14
quote:Originally posted by PeterStansfield
It really depends WHAT you want it for. If you're developing code,editing video or running photoshop on vast images, go for the best processor / most memory / biggest disc
Mainly just that. I do download and make slight changes to photos but that is once in a blue moon.

quote:Sometimes clock speeds are a bit like 'willy waving' - mine's bigger / faster than yours....

Haha. My MacBook (Black) has a 2Ghz 2GB RAM and works perfectly except the damage that I have caused to it. That is the massive glass of wine that damaged the battery, and DVD/CD drive plus that crack from my riding of a baggage cart in the Las Vegas airport with a bunch of crazy people.
#711804 by HighFlyer
04 Apr 2009, 12:02
Ben, I wouldnt bother personally. Unless you are going to run multimedia or photo editing software I dont think you'll see a noticeable benefit for the extra cash.

Thanks,
Sarah
#711843 by jafleming
05 Apr 2009, 01:32
I've got the 2.4ghz 15' MBP. It has a fantastic screen and I love the aluminum construction. Apple have made it really easy to upgrade the hard disk and the ram (for a change).. I upgraded to 4gb of RAM, but don't really use it!!

James
#711849 by Scrooge
05 Apr 2009, 04:19
Just one quick question, so on the new Macbooks the battery is built in right ? Does anyone know if Apple can switch it out in store or does it need to go back to them should it go out ?
#711858 by mcmbenjamin
05 Apr 2009, 09:39
The battery is built in on the new 17 in MacBook Pros. Otherwise, no.
Virgin Atlantic