#258677 by DragonLady
04 Apr 2009, 16:47
We've always used our UK mobile phones when away but darling Dragonbaby ran up a MASSIVE bill on her (contracted) phone during our last family trip to the US so I'm looking at other alternatives for our forthcoming jaunt. There is a thread on here about a similar query but it's a couple of years old.
I need phones for 3 of us -DB, DB's mate and myself. Basically I need to be able to ring/text DB and her pal when we're out and about,to be able to get hold of Mr DL on his UK mobile and for the girls to ring/text UK to speak with their friends.We'll be staying in both LA and Vegas so need decent coverage for both areas.
Grateful for any advice.
Thanks
DL
#711815 by PeterStansfield
04 Apr 2009, 16:53
Have you thought about running skype on your phone? - Obviously it gives you the restriction that you need to be in Wifi coverage when you make a call, but it's so incredibly cheap it's unbelieveable. I opened my account with 10 a year ago, and I haven't had to top it up yet....
#711816 by David
04 Apr 2009, 17:00
We use tracfones when in Florida - peanuts to use, very cheap to call UK landlines but can only text UK mobiles. Other than that, works like most other mobiles.

You can buy them in Publix for a few dollars and buy top up cards as well. The only slightly confusing bit is you buy minutes and service time, although after quite a few visits, it seems to be the minutes that run out first [;)]

David
#711817 by DragonLady
04 Apr 2009, 17:00
I need to be able to make calls/texts when not in a wi-fi area so it rules it out.
DL
#711818 by buns
04 Apr 2009, 17:13
DL

I do recall this coming up more recently, but for the life of me I cannot find the thread[:I]

I have had a Virgin Cellphone on a PAYG basis for a number of years now. Yes, I have to keep it topped up with $20 per quarter, but phoning the UK is a fraction of the cost.

In the more recent thread that I cannot find, there are other providers mentioned (Sprint, I think) where you just go into a major supermarket and buy over the counter.

buns
#711819 by mcmbenjamin
04 Apr 2009, 17:41
Yea. Any 7-11, WalMart, etc has phones and the top-up/recharge ability. I would not use Virgin Mobile as it runs on the Sprint network which lacks coverage. Go with Verizon's prepaid deal. That say, Virgin does offer good rates when calling from the US to the UK.
#711820 by buns
04 Apr 2009, 17:50
quote:Originally posted by mcmbenjamin
Yea. Any 7-11, WalMart, etc has phones and the top-up/recharge ability. I would not use Virgin Mobile as it runs on the Sprint network which lacks coverage. Go with Verizon's prepaid deal. That say, Virgin does offer good rates when calling from the US to the UK.

Thanks Ben - I remember you mentioning the coverage issue and it was Verizon not Sprint, that you suggested using in that thread I still cannot find[:I][:I]

Looking up my last bill, a 4 minute call to the UK cost me less than $1[:0] I have used it in SFO, LAX, LAS, BOS, NY & MCO / TPA and have never had problems with coverage where you would expect to get a signal

buns
#711822 by RichardMannion
04 Apr 2009, 18:40
Buns, can you set it up to automatically top up every 90 days, or do you need to remember to do it?

The rates are very chear as you say, $0.20/min to call the UK. I see there is an offer on one of the phones at the moment which is $39, but comes with $39 of call credit!

OT, but didn't realise the SF Virgin Megastore was closing!
#711823 by buns
04 Apr 2009, 18:45
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
Buns, can you set it up to automatically top up every 90 days, or do you need to remember to do it?

The rates are very chear as you say, $0.20/min to call the UK. I see there is an offer on one of the phones at the moment which is $39, but comes with $39 of call credit!

OT, but didn't realise the SF Virgin Megastore was closing!

I have it set up Top Up automatically through PayPal and currently I have $80 credit - so I am more than happy to share when we are all in SFO[y]

buns
#711824 by honey lamb
04 Apr 2009, 18:51
quote:Originally posted by buns
DL

I do recall this coming up more recently, but for the life of me I cannot find the thread[:I]

In the more recent thread that I cannot find, there are other providers mentioned (Sprint, I think) where you just go into a major supermarket and buy over the counter.

buns

Found it!

Actually I'm pleased this has come up again as I too am thinking of getting a phone while I am in the US this year and would be seeking advice. My problem has been that I have had no coverage in northern California although all around me seem to be using their phones without any difficulty so, like DL, I'd be grateful for any advice
#711836 by aft1981
05 Apr 2009, 00:20
I just got back from Vegas last night actually, coincidentally I was there for the big international wireless convention/show. All networks have great coverage there. LA is pretty much the same.

As I mentioned in the other thread (well found btw, I couldn't remember where it was either!) Virgin offer the best deal for calling the UK, and they use the Sprint network which has coverage pretty much on a par with AT&T, Verizon & slightly better than T-Mob.

As a side point though, do you have Blackberry phones by any chance? If you do, and you have the Blackberry data plan that comes with it, see how much it is to add international data onto that, even just for a month. I have the international data plan added onto mine with Verizon, I don't think it costs thattt much extra (certainly cheaper than other alternatives), and then whenever I am abroad in Europe or wherever, I can keep in touch with people using the B'berry messenger (it's like an IM/text service for people who have a Blackberry) and you can send unlimited B'berry to B'berry messages, browse the web, get your emails, do anything that requires data usage, and its all included.
#711838 by Tinkerbelle
05 Apr 2009, 00:46
I have a Virgin PAYG phone which I use constantly (call and text) in the US. You can get the handset that I have for only $9 now in Target and then you just need to buy a $20 top up card which will last you for ages. To keep the phone active, you will need to top it up once every 90 days.

To set it up, you just need to get on a computer (so Apple Store or hotel business centre) and all you need to register it is a name and an email address.

Have never had a coverage issue on it and it works just fine in LA and Vegas!
#711852 by buns
05 Apr 2009, 08:06
HL

Thank you for finding that thread - something you are so good at[oo][oo]

I on the other hand.........[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

buns
#711856 by Slipperman
05 Apr 2009, 09:29
Has anyone done a comparison of the Virgin mobile option versus a pay phone with a walmart/walgreens phone card? I believe the minute rate is cheaper with a card, but there is a one off cost per call?
#711857 by honey lamb
05 Apr 2009, 09:31
quote:Originally posted by buns
HL

Thank you for finding that thread - something you are so good at[oo][oo]

I on the other hand.........[:I][:I][:I][:I][:I][:I]

buns

Nah! Put it down to a Saturday night with nothing to do and nothing worth watching on television.

I need a life!
#711862 by Darren Wheeler
05 Apr 2009, 10:36
They're over-rated. [;)]

I must look for a mobile data dongle for the US, especially for where hotels have the nerve to charge guest an extortionate fee.
#711863 by DragonLady
05 Apr 2009, 10:41
quote:Originally posted by aft1981

As a side point though, do you have Blackberry phones by any chance?

DB has one (having ditched the iphone), as does Mr DL, but her friend and I don't.
I really need PAYG for DB and pal so will look at Vigin and the Tracphone options (these two will have faces like smacked bottoms when they see the handsets [:0].Ha ha!).
Thanks for all the advice.
DL
#711864 by Darren Wheeler
05 Apr 2009, 11:09
I take it you can pick up just the SIM cards too as I have an unlocked Nokia N73 I can use.
#711898 by Juliet
05 Apr 2009, 16:59
I think only ATT has sim cards you can buy, although their PAYG rates are pretty competitive, and certainly here in N Cali (Tahoe) they actually have the BEST coverage....
#711917 by aft1981
05 Apr 2009, 19:25
If you want to just pop a sim card in, you can only go with AT&T or T-Mobile. The other carriers don't use sim cards.

T-Mobile PAYG charges $1.60 a minute for calls to UK. http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaidrates.aspx

AT&T PAYG charges 39c a minute for calls to UK http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-001SJX-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction The wording on this page is weird tho - it says 'check this international rates table for your travel destination' but I'm 80% sure that actually means 'check this table for countries you want to call from the US'. I could be wrong.

Virgin mobile (you'll have to buy one of their phones, from as cheap as $9 charge 20c a minute to call the UK http://www.virginmobileusa.com/rates/internationalCalling.do

Verizon Wireless prepaid service is $1.49 to the UK http://b2b.vzw.com/international/prepay/index.html but you would also have to buy one of their phones.

Boost Mobile (Sprint's PAYG service) is 20c a minute to the UK http://plans.boostmobile.com/paygo.aspx and you would have to buy one of their phones, but the cheapest one is more than the cheapest Virgin phone.

AT&T (Sim card) - 39c a minute to UK for calls; 25c per international text sent; 20c per international text received.

T-Mobile (Sim card) - $1.60 a minute to UK for calls; 35c per international text sent; 5c per international text received.

Virgin Mobile (buy a phone) (uses Sprint Nextel network) - 20c a minute to UK for calls; 20c per international text sent; 10c per international text received.

Verizon Wireless (buy a phone) - $1.49 a minute to UK for calls; 25c per international text sent; 10c per international text received.

Boost Mobile (buy a phone) (uses Sprint Nextel network) - 20c a minute to UK for calls; 10c to send and receive international texts.

Coverage is pretty good in all major cities for all the networks now, you really only see a difference when you drive between major cities. Check each carriers site for coverage maps. For overall countrywide coverage, from best to worst (although again, it depends where you are and check their maps) Verizon...AT&T...Sprint.....T-Mobile. I work in the cell tower business, I travel frequently between a lot of our rural sites out here, and have both a Verizon and AT&T phone, which pretty much guarantees I have a signal on one of them wherever I am.

Hope this summary helps a bit [:)]
#711933 by David
05 Apr 2009, 22:19
quote:Originally posted by DragonLady
I really need PAYG for DB and pal so will look at Vigin and the Tracphone options (these two will have faces like smacked bottoms when they see the handsets [:0].Ha ha!).

DL

[:D] Hi DL, yes your right, some of the handsets are, eh, rather basic.

However, the upside to this, is the battery life lasts ages. Is that how things used to be [:?]

David

edited to add, a call to the UK roughly works out around 3p-5p per minute with tracfone
#711935 by buns
05 Apr 2009, 22:27
Aft

Thanks for the comprehensive summary[oo]

Must find a way of marking this as it is bound to crop up again

The 20c a minute for calling back to the UK with Virgin was certainly worth the original outlay

buns
#712049 by scally
07 Apr 2009, 12:54
I've always bought a net10 phone when I've been in the US. Last time I picked one up in Target for $25, which included $30 of airtime. The calls are 10c a minute to make or receive. You can set up their international calling service too, which is a pain to use - you dial into their long distance service and then once connected to that, dial the international number you need. It's only an additional 5c a minute though.
However - I have always had problems with call quality. I think net10 use GSM networks and roam across a variety of partners depending on where you are in the USA. However they compress the hell out of the calls, and network coverage seems sporadic at best unless you're in a city.
It's fine for a really cheap way of staying in touch but if you want to do any proper chatting on the phone then maybe get a SIM card from TMobile or one of the others.
Virgin Atlantic