#258785 by slinky09
15 Apr 2009, 10:57
There are many places I could ask this, but I think I'll get both the best quality and most straightforward answer from the folk here [y]:

I have finally moved to an iPhone ... the question I have is how to manage it alongside my existing iPod. My music is all on my Mac with which my iPod syncs, but my iPhone needs to sync with my laptop for calendar, contacts etc. So:

- can I also sync my iPhone with my Mac for music without deleting any Outlook information synced from my laptop?
- since my music is >16 MB can I manually sync a selection from my Mac onto my iPhone while maintaining a full set on my iPod?

Oh wise sages, please help!
#712469 by David_C_H_1
15 Apr 2009, 11:38
quote:can I also sync my iPhone with my Mac for music without deleting any Outlook information synced from my laptop?
- since my music is >16 MB can I manually sync a selection from my Mac onto my iPhone while maintaining a full set on my iPod?

Set Itunes installed on the Mac to not sync the Calendar/contacts

Make a playlist on the Mac called something like 'Iphone' and drag <16gig of favourite music into it, then set the Itunes to sync only that playlist with the Iphone, not the entire library.

That works for me.

David
#712470 by slinky09
15 Apr 2009, 11:51
quote:Originally posted by David_C_H_1
quote:can I also sync my iPhone with my Mac for music without deleting any Outlook information synced from my laptop?

Set Itunes installed on the Mac to not sync the Calendar/contacts

Make a playlist on the Mac called something like 'Iphone' and drag <16gig of favourite music into it, then set the Itunes to sync only that playlist with the Iphone, not the entire library.

That works for me.

David

See, I knew I would. Perfect thank you [oo][^]
#712486 by MarkedMan
15 Apr 2009, 15:33
I've done the playlist thing, and I've done the 'different user, shared library' thing. I really liked the playlist for simplicity, but after filling up my iPod I found it a bit hard to manage tracks on it, removing, adding, etc etc without full functionality, so I created a separate user account where iTunes reads music off the same folder (pretty standard). I don't synch on my second account - 'my' iPod is smaller than the BHs - so I can add/remove from iTunes. This is not as simple as the playlist strategy, but in the end I found it easier for managing the ocntent.