#259759 by honey lamb
29 Jun 2009, 15:43
Aer John has asked me to get him an iPhone while I am in the US next month. I realise it will have to be unlocked to use this side of the pond and whatever but any advice will be gratefully received
#719642 by mitchja
29 Jun 2009, 15:52
I don't think you can officially buy them unlocked in the US can you?

Edit to add - no sorry, US iphones are locked to AT&T, see this page

I wouldn't personally risk altering my iPhone to unlock it or even jail break it. It's just not worth it.

Regards
#719644 by stevebrass
29 Jun 2009, 16:00
I think there are issues around unlocking around subsequent updates; you may not be able to download them.

Do a google on Iphone unlocking or look at unlocked iphones on Ebay for more info.
#719646 by honey lamb
29 Jun 2009, 16:04
quote:Originally posted by mitchja
I don't think you can buy them unlocked in the US can you?

Regards

Dunno. Can they be unlocked over here? I am such a klutz when it comes to all these things about phones although I am supposed to be the all-seeing, all-knowing mother from time to time and therefore need to be educated by you lot [:D]
#719647 by mitchja
29 Jun 2009, 16:12
Officially no, US and UK iPhones are locked to their networks and cannot be unlocked (even once you reach the end of your contract).

There are unofficial ways and means around this but I don't think this is the place to discuss that.

Hong Kong and several other countries don't lock their handsets (including iPhones) though, see the list on the page I linked earlier.

I know play.com where (and still are) selling unlocked (therefore, I presume imported) iPhone 3G's earlier this year, although they are silly money.

The other problem is, even if you do get an unlocked iPhone, many of the features wont work properly on other networks. Visual voicemail for example. You most definitely need the unlimited data plan which O2 include with their iPhones as an iPhone consumes a lot of data. I'd hate to think much much it would cost you if you had to pay for data useage [:0]

I use, on average, about 100Mb per month for data usage on my iPhone (and that's just cellular data and doesn't include WiFi when I'm at home).

Edit to add - play.com are selling the new 16Gb 3GS unlocked for...wait for it....799.99 or the 32G unlocked version for only 899.99!!!!

Regards
#719651 by RichardMannion
29 Jun 2009, 16:56
Hi HoneyLamb,

I don't think Apple sell them over the counter like they did with the first version (and therefore activating and the other contract stuff at home). I believe you sign-up for the contract in-store: http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/
#719658 by chumba
29 Jun 2009, 19:16
I tried the same thing when in the US a few months ago, the iphone can only be bought from authorised retailers with an 18 month contract ie no pay as you go, (which is what i was after).

Also they are locled to AT&T, and yes we all know you can get them unlocked but as mentioned not all the features will then work, and also if you sync it with itunes it searches for updated iphone software, which if you install may totally break yuor unlocked phone and then no warranty !
#719661 by MarkedMan
29 Jun 2009, 19:55
Yep, like Richard said they stopped selling them without contract after the first version. AT&T forced this, sensibly enough. I know several people from Europe who bought the first version, unlocked it and placed their SIM on it. Experience was positive enough, though they are now stuck with an inferior piece of hardware.

It's never been the best phone - which you kind of expect, I suppose. I have spotty reception in my place, and iPhones here are an absolute non-starter. Constantly watching people dropping calls with the damn thing in all sorts of places. Almost better to buy an iPod touch [:)]
#719663 by honey lamb
29 Jun 2009, 20:28
Thanks, everybody, for the information. It was what I half expected but Aer John seems to think it is achievable since he 'knows someone who did it' [:w]

quote: Almost better to buy an iPod touch
He already has an iPod touch but drove a golf cart over it [:0] I think that's what prompted the iPhone request
#719670 by MarkedMan
29 Jun 2009, 21:48
You can certainly do it ... it's just no longer economical. You will pay $199+tax and will have to sign up for an 18 month AT&T contract - ie hand over your credit card. At a minimum 60/70 dollars a month for an iPhone plan, you're looking at more or less 1500 dollars. Which is more or less the price mitchja was quoting for buying an unlocked one.

Once you have it, unlocking it is trivial. That's exactly why you now have to sign up for an 18 month contract.

My employee's cousin makes super-resistant hard plastic shells for iPods and iPhones - sounds like that's what he really needs [;)]
#719677 by honey lamb
29 Jun 2009, 22:53
quote:Originally posted by MarkedMan

My employee's cousin makes super-resistant hard plastic shells for iPods and iPhones - sounds like that's what he really needs [;)]

What he really needs is to be less careless with his belongings [:w]
#719680 by Scrooge
29 Jun 2009, 23:04
quote:Originally posted by honey lamb

Not really, with the large glass screens they are an easy target, trust me on this, I am on my third screen.
#719681 by honey lamb
29 Jun 2009, 23:53
quote:Originally posted by Scrooge
quote:Originally posted by honey lamb

Not really, with the large glass screens they are an easy target, trust me on this, I am on my third screen.

I accept that but if you know that the iPod is likely to fall out of the pocket of the pants you are wearing based on the fact that it has already done so dozens of times but then put the said golf cart into reverse instead of forward......well! [:D]
#719689 by mas66
30 Jun 2009, 03:33
Ive only scan read the posts on this one so apologise if I'm repeating anything.

You can buy an iPhone without a contract in the UK from O2 on a Pay and Go basis. They are not cheap (not sure the current cost of the new model) These are still locked to O2 when you buy them.

You can get them unlocked, the unlock is not illegal. I can give you the details if you need them. There are many companies out there offering unlocks but there are also a lot of unlock scams going on, so beware !

I bought my iPhone from O2 in this way and have unlocked it and now use it very happily on Orange with no problems whatsoever. The company I used for the unlock are reputable, provide support and continue the unlocks for any future versions of the OS that you may upgrade to, all for the original price you pay.

I firmly believe that the only reason that O2 sell the non contract iPhone is to gain benefit from and satisfy the demand from users on other networks who cant/dont want to switch to O2.

Cheers

Mark [:)]
Virgin Atlantic