#259894 by northernhenry
12 Jul 2009, 10:47
need to look at running windows on my mac.. nothing to techy. just can't access the require format of a website through current system. 'this site will unfortunately not work through a mac'!! therefore looking at:

bootcamp
Parallels

other?

not doing any OS techy stuff, just to allow running of certain programs and in the most user friendly way possible
will mainly need to run Microsoft explorer for active X reasons
How does this work with virus protection?

any advice gratefully received

NH
#720712 by mitchja
12 Jul 2009, 11:06
I use Parallels (with Windows XP). Very easy to set-up and you can run Windows at the same time as OS X (which you can't do with Bootcamp)

Version 4 of Parallels (latest version) comes with it's own anti-virus software license for 12 months which you can install once your Windows virtual machine is set-up.

Also Parallels allows you to install any version of Windows XP, whereas Bootcamp requires XP with SP2 or later. (My XP was the original pre-SP1 version!!!). Once your Windows VM is installed, you can use Windows Update to get the latest service packs and security updates etc.

Regards
#720720 by PeterStansfield
12 Jul 2009, 14:32
I'm also using parallels. Yes, it seems to work.

The thought of letting Windows actually run your computer seems frightening - it's like going away from home for two weeks, with all of the doors and windows open.

But as a 'program' Windows isn't too bad. I'm running XP and have no desire at all to use Vista
#720722 by Darren Wheeler
12 Jul 2009, 14:39
I use to run Parallels but haven't reinstalled it from when I rebuilt it. As much as I love my Macbook, there are still times when I use windows based programs. Autoroute and Streets & Trips being classic examples. Plus, having paid for Photoshop, I'm paying again for the Apple version.
#721012 by Capt.Pag
16 Jul 2009, 02:02
I used to use Parallels but switched to VMWare when they came out with version 2. Definitely worth a look. Seems a little faster and much more stable than Parallels when running XP and Quickbooks, which is all I need it for. Also very easy to set-up and copy across mac machines..
#721018 by northernhenry
16 Jul 2009, 08:54
quote:Originally posted by Capt.Pag
I used to use Parallels but switched to VMWare when they came out with version 2. Definitely worth a look. Seems a little faster and much more stable than Parallels when running XP and Quickbooks, which is all I need it for. Also very easy to set-up and copy across mac machines..

Due to receive Parallels new version today, also gained some shopping miles[}:)]

now struggling to find a copy of XP..
#721019 by Darren Wheeler
16 Jul 2009, 09:18
IF you can wait, buy Windows 7, assuming that the Mac has enough grunt, as the pre-order price is about 50 for the Home version. More miles... [}:)]
#721040 by northernhenry
16 Jul 2009, 11:43
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
IF you can wait, buy Windows 7, assuming that the Mac has enough grunt, as the pre-order price is about 50 for the Home version. More miles... [}:)]

Although a fast intel based Imac, for my needs doesn't need to be too tech hefty so I'd prefer XP. Best link for purchase??
#721042 by Darren Wheeler
16 Jul 2009, 12:05
Through the shopping partners. Play.com has XP home for 35 along with free p&p and 1 mile/
#721046 by mitchja
16 Jul 2009, 14:50
I've tried the Windows 7 bata version with Parallels and it works very well on my uni-body MacBook. The latest version of Paralles comes with an experimental Windows 7 VM template built in. The only thing that doesn't work is the Aero 3D graphics thing. I don't think Aero will work with Vista either.

Regards
Virgin Atlantic