#726686 by mitchja
30 Sep 2009, 19:45
It's not the network or the service that comes or doesn't come with it that sells the iPhone.

It's the iPhone that sells the iPhone plain and simple!! O2 and all the other networks know this! I'd have bought my 3G on which ever network it might have been exclusive to.

Oh, plus augmented reality on the 3GS is so cool. Everyone I've shown it to so far has had the same 'wow' reaction.

Regards
#726687 by Tinkerbelle
30 Sep 2009, 19:47
Everyone likes the network they are on for their own reasons. I've been with Vodafone for 14 years and have never had a problem hence why I've waited patiently for the iPhone.
#726688 by locutus
30 Sep 2009, 19:53
Buy an Android phone whilst you wait. I love my Samsung Galaxy.

3G performance isn't great on o2 in my flat, but I like how texts abroad are taken out of your bundle (at 4 texts each) and as I get 1200 a month, it's nice when I go away I'm not being charged a fortune like I think all the other networks do. The 5 discount a month off my 20mbit/s broadband is nice too [8D]
#726690 by mitchja
30 Sep 2009, 20:00
Plus your O2 broadband costs counts towards your O2 priority list status as well.

Regards
#726693 by Darren Wheeler
30 Sep 2009, 20:32
quote:Originally posted by Neil
[quote]Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
You are welcome to Vodafone Tink. After 4 years of being with them, before I ditched my work for for my O2 iPhone, I can honestly say I wouldn't go back to them if you paid me. The amount of problems our blackberry users have with their service is unbelievable.

95% of Blackberry issues are down to RIM outages, planned work and the like.
#727296 by oxmatt
08 Oct 2009, 21:12
quote:Originally posted by locutus
But won't everyone sign up to an 18 month deal only for the 4G to come out a few months after? [:?]

I wouldn't be expecting that any time soon...
#727298 by miopyk
08 Oct 2009, 21:35
Another vote for 02. Good service at home and work and I use the data package a lot. I got my 3GS in August and frankly it is almost like carrying around a computer in my pocket. I took it to Antigua last week and used the free wifi at the hotel all week to keep in touch and up to date with finances etc.

I think that the reason for the other networks getting the phone is Apple wanting more market share. I can't see prices dropping any time soon as Apple pretty much control the wholesale price and the included data package will mean that competitors won't be able to discount too much if they need to invest in their networks.

Miopyk[8D]
#727450 by oxmatt
12 Oct 2009, 07:19
quote:Originally posted by oxmatt
But won't everyone sign up to an 18 month deal only for the 4G to come out a few months after? [:?]

I wouldn't be expecting that any time soon...

Just realised you were probably talking about the 4th generation iPhone rather than 4G mobile networks - the latter of which I do not expect any time soon... [:I]
#728206 by mitchja
24 Oct 2009, 13:12
There's a couple of interesting articles here and here about Orange and O2.

According to the Times article, Orange are launching the iPhone on November 10th (although not confirmed by Orange yet and still no sign of Orange iPhone tariff details).

O2 have also confirmed they they will allow unlocking of the iPhone (although there's likely to be a fee to do this and you must, of course, have fulfilled your contract terms with O2)

Apparently, unlocking an iPhone is done differently to other handsets. Normally the network provides you with a code to enter into a hidden menu on the handset to unlock it. An iPhone has to be unlocked though iTunes so the network has to upload the unlock code to Apple who then send it to your iPhone via iTunes.

Will Orange be able to cope with the increased network traffic though? In the second article it mentions that currently, O2's network traffic is doubling every 3 months [:0]

Regards
#728216 by Neil
24 Oct 2009, 13:56
quote:Originally posted by mitchja

Will Orange be able to cope with the increased network traffic though? In the second article it mentions that currently, O2's network traffic is doubling every 3 months [:0]

Regards

That's the thing, I don't think anyone can predict how any of the new networks will be able to cope with the demand for and the extra usage on their networks. 02, whilst the most popular with everyone, are at least used to what is required, and the problems that occur, whilst for the new providers it is going to be an unknown, which will no doubt cause issues, just like it has in the past for 02.
#728221 by Darren Wheeler
24 Oct 2009, 15:10
Disagree there Neil. It's call correct dimensioning. Too often corners are cut with backbone connectivity and gateway access as 2x 10GB internet links ain't cheap...
#728977 by mitchja
02 Nov 2009, 12:12
Orange iPhone tariffs/pricing have been announced this morning. More or less the same as O2's tariffs/prices (Orange's 30 18 month tariff does offer more minutes/texts than O2's equivalent though)

Link

Nothing spectacular if your already an O2 iPhone customer. Will be sticking with O2 here I think.

Available on Orange from November 10th.

Regards
#729478 by mitchja
09 Nov 2009, 18:18
For info, anyone with an O2 iPhone who is looking to switch to Orange (or any other network as far as I can tell).

You can officially get it un-locked from O2.

For contract users it's free and can be done at any time (although you will still have to fulfill your remaining O2 contract, although you can pay it off early if you want too).

For PAYG users, it's 15.00 (which will come off your airtime balance) and you need to have had it for at least 12 months too.

Link

It can take upto 14 days to take effect.

Not 100% sure how Orange are handling ex-O2 iPhone customers. I presume they will just send you a SIM once you set up an account with them and then you transfer your number in the usual way?

Regards
#730129 by daywalker
18 Nov 2009, 03:11
I don't know if it's been mentioned on here but there's one difference between O2 & Orange that means I'll be staying with O2. Orange are enforcing a fair use policy with a 750mb limit per month, O2 remain unlimited [y]
#730133 by locutus
18 Nov 2009, 07:35
quote:Originally posted by daywalker

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here but there's one difference between O2 & Orange that means I'll be staying with O2. Orange are enforcing a fair use policy with a 750mb limit per month, O2 remain unlimited [y]

How much do you use then? I don't do anywhere near that with my Android phone.
#730157 by mitchja
18 Nov 2009, 14:20
I use about 300mb per month here, but that's only with Edge & GPRS, if I had O2 3G I suspect that would be higher.

I'm officially unlocked from O2 now anyway with my 3GS as O2 unlocked me yesterday.

Am I right in saying that Orange don't offer visual voicemail as the Apple website mentions Orange don't offer this (yet?)

Regards
#730162 by daywalker
18 Nov 2009, 14:37
quote:Originally posted by daywalker

How much do you use then? I don't do anywhere near that with my Android phone.

More than 750 most months, as I said, it's one reason why I would stay with O2, obviously doesn't apply to everyone.
#731699 by locutus
10 Dec 2009, 10:17
The Tesco iPhone prices are out now

link
#731701 by HWVlover
10 Dec 2009, 12:00

link

And the prices are higher than I imagined too!
#731702 by Neil
10 Dec 2009, 12:12
quote:Originally posted by HWVlover

link

And the prices more expensive than I imagined too!

The 12 month, 20 per month deal is ok if you intend to keep the handset for more than a year and you can continue on the same price plan, it would give a saving of just over 100 compared to the 35/month for 24months o2 contract.

I am a little surprised at the lack of packages available, surely they are limiting their potential market.
#731703 by locutus
10 Dec 2009, 12:19
A 12 month contract is new for an iPhone I think, and means you won't get stuck with it too long when the 4th Gen version comes out next year and you want to upgrade.

I've decided to hold out for a HTC Bravo.
#731704 by Neil
10 Dec 2009, 12:23
A 12 month contract is new for an iPhone I think, and means you won't get stuck with it too long when the 4th Gen version comes out next year and you want to upgrade.

Yes, but you are paying more for the privilege. With Tesco, it will cost you 560 for one year, where as with the 02 24month contract it will cost you 463.50. Of course it will suit some people but if cost if you primary aim then it isn't the best value deal.

All my calculations are based on the 16gb 3GS.
#731705 by HWVlover
10 Dec 2009, 12:28
I had expected that Tesco would really significantly undercut the opposition. While the 20pm 12 month contract is obviously new there are still one off payments from 222 to 407 according to your choice of handset.

I've decided to hold out for a HTC Bravo.

And I shall stick with my Hero should my operator ever manage to send it to me!!!
#731706 by mitchja
10 Dec 2009, 12:34
O2 are now offering deals for people reaching the end of their 18 month iPhone contracts. Just switched to a 30 day SIM only deal for only 20 a month offering 600mins + 1200 texts and the same iPhone free unlimited data/WiFi/visual voicemail extras I had before.

Regards
#731756 by McCoy
11 Dec 2009, 14:16
Crumbs.. I didn't know that.

Included unlimited data.. letmeatit..

Can you expand?... did you speak to 'upgrades', 'disconnections' or usual 'O2 CS'?

quote:Originally posted by mitchja
O2 are now offering deals for people reaching the end of their 18 month iPhone contracts. Just switched to a 30 day SIM only deal for only 20 a month offering 600mins + 1200 texts and the same iPhone free unlimited data/WiFi/visual voicemail extras I had before.

Regards
Virgin Atlantic