#726506 by preiffer
28 Sep 2009, 13:51
About b****y time.

Looking forward to being able to tell O2 to stick it... [:w]
#726509 by mitchja
28 Sep 2009, 14:10
Bargaining time with O2 me thinks [:D]

It doesn't mention which iPhone handset though. The rumors flying round O2 where that O2 get to keep the 3GS exclusivity and other networks could start to sell just the 3G handset.

Edit - Orange will be selling both the 3G and the 3GS (see the Orange website)

Good timing too as my contract is up in December (even though I've just bought a 3GS which I'm swapping my 3G with). Hmmmmm, I might send the O2 3GS back now (which I can do within 14 days as long as I dont break the seal)[:?]

Never planned on taking another O2 contract anyway as their 3G coverage is very poor.

This might also now open up the possibility of un-locking too, as O2 always used the 'exclusivity' argument for not offering un-locking.

I wonder if this news has anything to do with the fact the O2 website has been down all day so far [:w]

O2 start selling the Palm Pre in October in another exclusive deal which offers exactly the same tariffs as iPhone ones (including unlimited data) so it's likely the O2 network will feel even more strain than it is doing now [:w]

Regards
#726515 by Tinkerbelle
28 Sep 2009, 16:40
Now I just need Vodafone to announce that they'll be selling it!

[:w]
#726526 by daywalker
28 Sep 2009, 19:10
I can't see there being much of a price war between the two companies unfortunatley. I've still got 6 months to go anyway so I'll not worry about it just yet.
#726542 by RichardMannion
28 Sep 2009, 23:54
I'm not sure Orange data infrastructure can really cope with the demand the iPhone will bring - unless they can merge the T-Mobile infrastructure quickly.
#726544 by Darren Wheeler
29 Sep 2009, 00:19
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion
I'm not sure Orange data infrastructure can really cope with the demand the iPhone will bring - unless they can merge the T-Mobile infrastructure quickly.

My info is 12-18-months to have the plan drawn up on how it will all merge, never mind regulatory approval. Not sure what their connectivity is like, but it will have do have very large Internet pipes with resilience up the yingyang otherwise it will have the same effect as it does on O2.
#726549 by Neil
29 Sep 2009, 08:35
I read this morning that over 65,000 have already 'signed up'/put there name down with Orange for one, and surely they aren't going to be able to cope with the initial demand, especially in the pre-Christmas run up. I imagine there will be quite a bit of moaning about Orange when it all starts.
#726554 by locutus
29 Sep 2009, 09:39
quote:Originally posted by Neil
I imagine there will be quite a bit of moaning about Orange when it all starts.

Nothing new there then. The Orange network has been going downhill for years, since Hans Snook left the company,
#726555 by mitchja
29 Sep 2009, 09:58
quote:Originally posted by Tinkerbelle

Looks like your in luck Tinkerbelle see here

Just hope Orange will not do what O2 did when they launched the 3G.

It was complete and utter chaos. All the existing O2 customers got left out and all the new 3G's ended up going to new customers. The O2 website crashed and burned when they first started selling it as they where getting thousands of hits per second. They sold all their initial stock in about 2 hours.

That was one of the reasons why O2 didn't offer pre-ordering for the 3GS.

No idea how Apple are going to keep up with demand though as they are struggling now, let alone when it's available on Orange as well. O2 & CPW still have very little stock of the 3GS both online or in their shops.

The 3GS that I've just bought from direct from Apple was manufactured only 2 weeks ago.

Regards
#726558 by Scrooge
29 Sep 2009, 10:23
quote:Originally posted by RichardMannion

Orange is the UK equivalent of AT&T I guess then, since the MMS became active on Friday it has been a nightmare, while the whole network hasn't crashed (yet) I have been having a hell of a time getting the data network to even go at edge speed most of the time [n]
#726559 by Neil
29 Sep 2009, 10:29

Good news Tink. Vodafone will be announcing they will be selling the iPhone also!
#726561 by Darren Wheeler
29 Sep 2009, 10:44

Good news Tink. Vodafone will be announcing they will be selling the iPhone also!

Confirmed

http://www.vodafone.com/start/media_rel ... k_ire.html

I've known about it for a while but was sworn to secrecy on pain of crucifixion.

The infrastructure has been quietly added over the last few weeks,
#726562 by Neil
29 Sep 2009, 10:51
It really is going to be interesting to see how Apple manage the supply to each of the networks and also its own stores. I think that customers might have a choice of not which network to go with, but more, only xxx network has it, so do I go with them or wait until my preferred one gets it.

I still see that O2 haven't got any 16gb white or blacks available through web or online sales, so how Apple are going to keep 3/4/5 different suppliers happy I have no idea.
#726564 by Darren Wheeler
29 Sep 2009, 11:05
Optomisum over reality I think for the suppy. Orange are saying 'later this year' and Vodafone, 'early 2010'.
#726567 by mitchja
29 Sep 2009, 11:43
Sorry, but I wont even consider Vodafone as their 2G coverage is very poor where I work (their website calls it 'variable coverage' although there is future 3G coverage planned)

At least I get good O2 2G/Edge coverage where I live and work.

Rumors are that O2 will start to allow un-locking once other networks start selling the iPhone, nothing confirmed yet though.

Still don't know what to do......do I keep this O2 3GS iPhone or send it back [:?]

CPW are currently offering 190 for trade-in of iPhone 3G 8Gb (and you don't have to buy a new handset from them either). Not had considering I only paid 39 for it, 99 minus 60 Quidco cashback for it.

Regards
#726580 by Tinkerbelle
29 Sep 2009, 17:04

[^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^][^]
#726585 by mitchja
29 Sep 2009, 17:32
I might be wrong, but I *think* Tinkerbelle is a happy bunny!

Regards
#726587 by locutus
29 Sep 2009, 17:59
But won't everyone sign up to an 18 month deal only for the 4G to come out a few months after? [:?]
#726588 by mitchja
29 Sep 2009, 18:20
That's why I'm not signing another contract when mine runs out in December.

I'm either switching to Simplicity (SIM only) which is way better value for money (although you don't get visual voicemail and you can't have O2 Premier insurance with SIM only deals), or I'm staying on rolling month-by-month until June 2010 (which I believe O2 do once you finish your contract).

Either way I can decide next year which network to go for, although I think I'm actually staying on O2 as I would hope O2 will offer the best deal been an existing customer (at least there should be some room to negotiate with O2 now). I can see the other networks just offering a WYSIWYG deal.

Although, who knows or can currently say what the networks will offer. It's just a case of wait and see.

Regards
#726611 by buns
30 Sep 2009, 01:11
And now Vodaphone are going to offer the IPhone.

Maybe Apple wants to ensure they have even more markey share[;)]

Even more difficult as to when to buy

buns
#726623 by slinky09
30 Sep 2009, 09:05
While I'm delighted to see a market place opening up, I'll hazard a guess that each network will be similar in pricing and have it's flaws.

I live in London, reasonably centrally, can I get a O2 3G signal at home, can I 'eckers like. But then, I couldn't get a Vodafone GPRS connection on my previous Blackberry half the time either. With Orange be better?

Thankfully, I don't have to renew 'till mid-2010 so I can watch the dust settle ...
#726666 by Scrooge
30 Sep 2009, 15:51
quote:Originally posted by slinky09

Thankfully, I don't have to renew 'till mid-2010 so I can watch the dust settle ...

Exactly, my contract is up AUG next year (nothing like thinking ahead) I am thinking of just going month to month after that in the hope of catching the 5th generation Iphone, by then AT&T should have 4G up and running.
#726679 by Tinkerbelle
30 Sep 2009, 18:49
Well I have registered my interest with Vodafone about getting an iPhone. Am loving the fact that it will be available first as an upgrade to its existing customers who remained loyal to Vodafone and have been waiting patiently for the iPhone. [^][^][^][^]

All those who jumped ship to O2 will have to wait. [:w] [;)]
#726685 by Neil
30 Sep 2009, 19:33
All those who jumped ship to O2 will have to wait. [:w] [;)]

You are welcome to Vodafone Tink. After 4 years of being with them, before I ditched my work for for my O2 iPhone, I can honestly say I wouldn't go back to them if you paid me. The amount of problems our blackberry users have with their service is unbelievable.

I might be the exception, but I am more than happy with O2 so far. The tariff is more than competitive compared to other 'normal' handsets, I haven't had an issue with poor 3G coverage when I have needed it, and their CS has been good on the couple of occasion when I have needed their help.

I wish the new networks good luck, but I am sure there will be many a teething problem.
Virgin Atlantic