#260931 by jtlc2345
11 Oct 2009, 11:18
Dear all

Am off to New York at the end of the month and will be taking the laptop with me. Will I just be able to plug it in to the power socket when I get there (using a plug adapter) or will I need to buy a voltage converter-type contraption beforehand?

Many thanks

Jonathan
#727423 by Darren Wheeler
11 Oct 2009, 11:31
Check the power block to make sure it says 100v-240v or similar. Unless it's a very early laptop, they all should be multi-voltage. When out there, you may want to look for a mains cable with the US plug and correct fitting (figure-8, cloverleaf etc) as adaptors can fall out due to the lousy design of some.
#727424 by mitchja
11 Oct 2009, 11:33
No, you will be fine. All lap-tops come with duel voltage input power adapters these days.

If you have a look at the label on your power adapter it will say something like 'Input AC 100-240V'

Just get a UK-US plug adapter.

Regards
#727427 by tontybear
11 Oct 2009, 12:28
I used a uk-us power adaptor with no problems thouigh I did notice that the 'brick' did appear to be a little hotter than when I use it over here.

I didn't need to change any settings to use the hotels wi-fi connections either

Isn't technology marvelous?
#727428 by jtlc2345
11 Oct 2009, 13:11
Thanks everyone - laptop's only 6 months old or so. Have checked the adapter and it does say input 100-240V. Will investigate the mains cable when I get out there as may well be off again a couple more times in the next year.

Thanks again

Jonathan
#727431 by andrew.m.wright
11 Oct 2009, 15:05
quote:Originally posted by jtlc2345
Thanks everyone - laptop's only 6 months old or so. Have checked the adapter and it does say input 100-240V. Will investigate the mains cable when I get out there as may well be off again a couple more times in the next year.

Thanks again

Jonathan

You'll be able to pick up a US mains lead at either J&R (Downtown near Wall St) or BH Video (Next to Penn Station) for a few dollars.

Watch out with the WiFi in NYC - most hotels charge a kings ransom for using it unlike other parts of the US. That said there are plenty of free hotspots around like the Apple Store and some Starbucks etc...
#727433 by slinky09
11 Oct 2009, 15:56
quote:Originally posted by mitchja
No, you will be fine. All lap-tops come with duel voltage input power adapters these days.

I'd love to see duelling power adaptors, they must get really mad [:0].

If you travel a lot, to different countries, a plug adapter like this can work well. Doesn't matter if you put a UK or US laptop lead into it either.
#727439 by Bill S
11 Oct 2009, 17:39
quote:Originally posted by slinky09
If you travel a lot, to different countries, a plug adapter like this can work well. Doesn't matter if you put a UK or US laptop lead into it either.

That adapter can work well but with a UK plug and lead in, they tend to fall out of US wall sockets.
Easy fix - get a short US extension lead so it can lie on the floor (and get out of tight areas behind desks etc.!
#727446 by StuartPreston
11 Oct 2009, 23:14
quote:Originally posted by Bill S

That adapter can work well but with a UK plug and lead in, they tend to fall out of US wall sockets.
Easy fix - get a short US extension lead so it can lie on the floor (and get out of tight areas behind desks etc.!

Alternatively, my top tip is to take a small 4-way UK adapter with you in your luggage, that way you can plug all your chargers into UK sockets and just use one UK-US adapter at the wall that doesn't fall out.

Stuart.
#727447 by slinky09
12 Oct 2009, 01:34

I have one, works well in the US, France and Europe, India and Australia ... tested in all.
#727448 by Tinkerbelle
12 Oct 2009, 01:40

I have one, works well in the US, France and Europe, India and Australia ... tested in all.

Have one too - has travelled around the world with me for five years!
#727493 by jtlc2345
12 Oct 2009, 16:30
Thanks again everybody!

Jonathan
Virgin Atlantic