#260954 by vizbiz
13 Oct 2009, 11:09
I consider my 14 blade swiss army knife as 'techno-gadgetery' so hope I can post this question here!

My hugely useful knife ended up at the bottom of a beach-bag in the summer and is now full of sand, and opening up any blade feels like rubbing 2 sheets of sandpaper together. Can anyone suggest a good method for cleaning a pen-knife that's got all the hinges etc full of sand (I can see how to open it up to try and get at the sand!)????

Thanks!
#727566 by Jeffers555
13 Oct 2009, 11:32
I would try blowing the knife out with compressed air. If you dont have a compressor take it to your local petrol station and use the air line there to do the job.
If that doesn't completely get all the sand out, soak in warm water then blow out again. Repeat until all the sand is out.

Good luck
#727572 by Decker
13 Oct 2009, 12:07
Gotta love V-Fyer.... [:)]
#727576 by Bill S
13 Oct 2009, 13:03
quote:Originally posted by Jeffers555
I would try blowing the knife out with compressed air. If you dont have a compressor take it to your local petrol station and use the air line there to do the job.
If that doesn't completely get all the sand out, soak in warm water then blow out again. Repeat until all the sand is out.

Good luck

Or WD40.
[:)]
#727577 by Darren Wheeler
13 Oct 2009, 13:16
Put in sink of warm water and slowly open and close each blade individually until you feel no grittiness. Shake any excess water off and place somewhere warm to dry. When fully dry, use a very light oil such as sewing machine or hair clipper oil.

Will be nearly good as new.
#727637 by slinky09
14 Oct 2009, 03:25
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
Put in sink of warm water and slowly open and close each blade individually until you feel no grittiness. Shake any excess water off and place somewhere warm to dry. When fully dry, use a very light oil such as sewing machine or hair clipper oil.

Will be nearly good as new.

So says stabber Wheeler [:D] - I never knew V-Flyers had such proficiency with knives [:0][B)].
#727647 by tontybear
14 Oct 2009, 10:11
starting them young now ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8305987.stm

but this really is America GONE MAD !

And would a suspension of between 3 and 5 days be one of 4 days?
#727650 by Darren Wheeler
14 Oct 2009, 11:38
quote:Originally posted by slinky09

So says stabber Wheeler [:D] - I never knew V-Flyers had such proficiency with knives [:0][B)].

Years of practice and a few SAKs caked in various things.

When clean, it's also a good time to check sharpness. A dull blade is far more dangerous than a sharp one.
Virgin Atlantic