#262005 by daywalker
21 Jan 2010, 23:14
It was mentioned in a recent TR.

Scrooge posted a link for a product. Was it confirmed to be the same one as mention in the TR?

http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/HealthF ... topper.htm

Anyway, apparently I snore, I can't confirm or deny this but my wife says I do so I believe her. Along with my knackered sinuses it makes sense. I've asked her to record me snoring but she's never done it. I don't really fit the bill as a typical snorer, I don't drink too much, I'm not overweight at all but I've had terrible sinus problems in the past so I think this could be the cause. I've had rhinoplasty surgery etc.

I've had the 'snore stopper' one night.

First time I put it on as directed and shown by the model in the picture, the watch on the top of the wrist and even on full blast I couldn't feel any pulses.

I swung it around the wrist so it was underneath and it was much better, only trouble now was that the settings I decided on, one was too weak and the next one up was too strong and I just knew it would probably wake me up.

Anyway, as I was initially drifting off, I felt the pulses and it jolted me awake, not really an issue as I was so tired I was off to sleep again quickly. I woke later in the night but don't remember any pulses so can't say whether it kicked in and woke me up. I was a little more alert when I woke this time and a couple of times I was drifting off I was jolted awake by the pulses. I'm certain it's just down to me not being fully asleep when I obviously start snoring but I know if I knock it down a notch I wouldn't be able to feel a thing so I'll stick with this setting for the time being.

I asked Rach about it today and she said I wasn't snoring when she got up to visit the toilet in the night nor in the morning when she got up.

Obviously it's too early to form any firm opinion but I'd say it's looking promising and at the price it's worth anyone with a problem having a go. I'm not sure how long the battery lasts but that and the conductive gel will need replacing but these running costs are low.
#734994 by daywalker
21 Jan 2010, 23:44
quote:Originally posted by Darren Wheeler
I find a pillow is very effective. [}:)]

I'm sure Rach has been tempted too [:I]
#734995 by honey lamb
21 Jan 2010, 23:51
I fond the elbow was a very effective method when Mr honey lamb was alive but at times was tempted by the pillow method.

Maybe the fact that you couldn't feel it on top of the wrist was intentional so that you were only supposed to be stirred rather than fully woken when you reached the higher decibels!
#734997 by daywalker
22 Jan 2010, 00:20
quote:Originally posted by honey lamb
I fond the elbow was a very effective method when Mr honey lamb was alive but at times was tempted by the pillow method.

Maybe the fact that you couldn't feel it on top of the wrist was intentional so that you were only supposed to be stirred rather than fully woken when you reached the higher decibels!

Yes, it's a fair point, the aim is to make you stir and it says all that in the instructions, it's just on the top of the wrist I couldn't feel a thing! It does explain you should be able to feel soemthing when it's pulsing we'll what happens see tonight [y]
#735000 by Howard Long
22 Jan 2010, 00:37
How annoying! I designed and built one of these a few years ago, but never did anything with it (like, among other things, the world unfamous USB breathalyser that I never did anything with either).

Only my design involved nipple clamps and crocodile clips attached to ones' man eggs. Stopped the snoring but not the groaning.

H
#735001 by daywalker
22 Jan 2010, 01:07
quote:Originally posted by Howard Long
How annoying! I designed and built one of these a few years ago, but never did anything with it (like, among other things, the world unfamous USB breathalyser that I never did anything with either).

Only my design involved nipple clamps and crocodile clips attached to ones' man eggs. Stopped the snoring but not the groaning.

H

That would stop me snoring - I'd be too scared to go to sleep.
#735003 by daywalker
22 Jan 2010, 04:02
Oh well, tonight's test is a no go, I'm suffering from insomnia again [:(][ii]
#735005 by HighFlyer
22 Jan 2010, 09:03
Intriguing. Airlines should carry a few of these onboard. Anyone who has been on an airplane in close proximity to a snorer will know the sheer hell it can be.

Thanks,
Sarah
#735006 by Scrooge
22 Jan 2010, 09:57
I just ordered mine.
#735007 by pjh
22 Jan 2010, 10:14
May go for one of these...MrsPJH's usual tactic is to hiss 'will you just shut up!' in my ear.
#735010 by jaguarpig
22 Jan 2010, 10:54
My nose is shot, a combination of numerous rugby breaks and fixes plus a couple of nasal polypectomy ops.
I've had good results with the nasal strips, well so Mrs JP tells me and I don't seem to wake up with such sore ribs[:D]Never fancied the gum shield thing you always see advertised on the box in the states,but this may be worth a try.
#735668 by Guest
28 Jan 2010, 13:34
My CPAP should arrive in less than two weeks - I can't wait (and neither can my bf apprantly !)
#735690 by Scrooge
28 Jan 2010, 20:38
quote:Originally posted by hackneyguy
My CPAP should arrive in less than two weeks - I can't wait (and neither can my bf apprantly !)

Silly question, can you fly with your CPAP in the cabin on VS ?
#735743 by MarkedMan
29 Jan 2010, 14:20
IIRC from when the BH had one, the answer is yes with a medical note - she didn't want to check the equipment. Needless to say Stanford and UCSF could not agree on whether she needs to use one .... good luck with this HG.
#735745 by Guest
29 Jan 2010, 14:22
quote:Originally posted by Scrooge
quote:Originally posted by hackneyguy

Silly question, can you fly with your CPAP in the cabin on VS ?

Apparantly yes (according to my PA at Virgin) but I have requested this in writing. You certainly can on BA but only in Club or First (I have seen them in use there).
#735746 by Guest
29 Jan 2010, 14:25
quote:Originally posted by MarkedMan
good luck with this HG.

Thanks MM - aparantly I am now in high risk category of having a stroke due to my apalling sleep so it needs to work [y]
#735775 by MarkedMan
29 Jan 2010, 22:10
In our case there were clear diagnostic issues, and the situation is at most one of mild sleep apnea. But in a couple of cases of friends for whom this was a significant issue, CPAP has been nothing short of phenomenal for them. Their lives have been totally transformed, to hear them. So there's definitely hope.
#735776 by avalon
29 Jan 2010, 22:49
This is indeed the snore stopper that Mr A uses. It does work well most of the time - if he forgets to wear it, it does not work and if he has had a lot to drink then it also is not so good. Probably because he is anaethetised from the alcohol and does not feel it when he starts getting loud. Then I either sssh him or very effective, is flicking him with water from my water glass!!

Seriously since he has used it he has found he has woken more fresh and feels he has had a better nights sleep.
#735804 by woggles
30 Jan 2010, 12:27
Well mine arrived to-day and it's proved a bit difficult to set up but got there in the end. Found I had to use quite a bit of the gel and it wouldn't detect my artificial snore although it did react to the microwave bleeping[?]

I am concerned about it detecting snoring through 1 sheet, 2 blankets, and a bedspread though as I tend to sleep with not much more than my nose on the outside!

Anyway consumer trials start to-night.[y]
#735806 by Guest
30 Jan 2010, 12:35
quote:Originally posted by woggles
Well mine arrived to-day and it's proved a bit difficult to set up but got there in the end. Found I had to use quite a bit of the gel and it wouldn't detect my artificial snore although it did react to the microwave bleeping[?]

I am concerned about it detecting snoring through 1 sheet, 2 blankets, and a bedspread though as I tend to sleep with not much more than my nose on the outside!

Anyway consumer trials start to-night.[y]

Interesting to hera your results.

Unfortunately they are not suitable for my condition - indeed according to my sleep therapist they are indeed dangerous for it as they are known to exacerbate sleep apnoea ![:0]
#735808 by spiceke
30 Jan 2010, 13:09
Hackneyguy

Good luck with the CPAP mask.

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about 18 months ago - didn't fit the normal bill such as overweight / drink etc. I stop breathing on average 47 times an hour (sleep study) so never go into a deep sleep. I only went to the doctors because my snoring was driving Mrs S mad. Then you find out all the things this can lead to.

Had surgery on a deviated septum - no good.

I have been trying to get used to the CPAP mask for about 8 months - tried various ones. Took it away to the US once. Checked in at U/C at Gatwick with medical note etc - check in agent went into tilt ! TSA coming home identified it straight away - obviously more common over there.

In all honesty, I think I get better sleep without it, but that may be because I am having trouble adjusting - and I have done a faire bit of travelling in the last few months so it is stop / start as I don't take it away aftyer that first time.

I do have sympathy for other passengers on planes. I have got to the stage where I don't like to lay down in U/C because I know my snoring will sound like a steam train later on. Trust me -it isn't fun !

Spiceke

PS CPAP mask wearers are called 'hoseheads' and if you look them up on the internet you will understand why !
#735809 by Guest
30 Jan 2010, 13:19
quote:Originally posted by spiceke
Hackneyguy

Good luck with the CPAP mask.

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about 18 months ago - didn't fit the normal bill such as overweight / drink etc. I stop breathing on average 47 times an hour (sleep study) so never go into a deep sleep. I only went to the doctors because my snoring was driving Mrs S mad. Then you find out all the things this can lead to.

Had surgery on a deviated septum - no good.

I have been trying to get used to the CPAP mask for about 8 months - tried various ones. Took it away to the US once. Checked in at U/C at Gatwick with medical note etc - check in agent went into tilt ! TSA coming home identified it straight away - obviously more common over there.

In all honesty, I think I get better sleep without it, but that may be because I am having trouble adjusting - and I have done a faire bit of travelling in the last few months so it is stop / start as I don't take it away aftyer that first time.

I do have sympathy for other passengers on planes. I have got to the stage where I don't like to lay down in U/C because I know my snoring will sound like a steam train later on. Trust me -it isn't fun !

Spiceke

PS CPAP mask wearers are called 'hoseheads' and if you look them up on the internet you will understand why !

Thanks,

Apart from my weight gain (which they think is down to sleep apnea as well as other health issues I have) my sleep studies have shown simialr results to yours - infact I have moved up into the red zone from amber.

I too have had surgery - cost a small fortune too (soft palate removed etc) - hurt like h$ll for a coupe of months but no noticable difference. And yes when I drink it is certainly noticeable worse so cut that down to just drinking once a week recently, weight is still piling on, on energy, mood swings and trouble breathing/chest infections. Have been measured up by The London Chest hospital so a mask etc can be made for me and I am really hopefull it will work as it is effecting all aspects of my personal life at the moment and driving me mad.

THanks for your advise and I hope you too ifns a solution.

Regards,

HG
#735898 by woggles
01 Feb 2010, 12:12
So far not proving to be a resounding or even an un-resounding success.
Virgin Atlantic