#743470 by Jacki
18 Apr 2010, 09:02
There's an ipad for sale in a shop window in Camden for £600!
#744341 by stevebrass
24 Apr 2010, 13:41
Spent an hour drooling over an iPad in the Apple store Fort Myers. Very tempting. Mrs H likes the I books idea - and what Mrs H likes I try to give her!
#744343 by ukcobra
24 Apr 2010, 14:07
I was stuck in Toronto last weekend, and went over the border into the US and picked up a 64GB one.
Very impressed and pleased with it, it now has a permanent use as my portable movie and email device.
#744348 by buns
24 Apr 2010, 15:35
ukcobra wrote:I was stuck in Toronto last weekend, and went over the border into the US and picked up a 64GB one.
Very impressed and pleased with it, it now has a permanent use as my portable movie and email device.

V. Nice y) y)

What is the battery life like??

buns
#744350 by ukcobra
24 Apr 2010, 15:42
Very good, I use it a lot, and have n't actually got to a point where it runs out.

I keep it at 100%, which I have learned is best for Apple batteries and switch wifi off when watching a movie.

The next thing will be to get it to stream TV & Movies from home, and then I'll be done for all future travels.

Mark
#744358 by buns
24 Apr 2010, 17:41
Thanks for that - this means one step closer to getting one for the living room :)
#744363 by mitchja
24 Apr 2010, 20:23
Nick, Dave and I where looking at them today in the Boylston Street Apple store in Boston.

I was sold after about 2 minutes of playing with one. I even got as far as getting my wallet out but sadly, they have none in stock.
#744364 by buns
24 Apr 2010, 20:53
mitchja wrote:Nick, Dave and I where looking at them today in the Boylston Street Apple store in Boston.

I was sold after about 2 minutes of playing with one. I even got as far as getting my wallet out but sadly, they have none in stock.

That is a shame James :#

Hope you still enjoy your trip though :D

buns
#744473 by mitchja
26 Apr 2010, 18:13
Managed to pick a 16Gb iPad this morning :) Just syncing it now with my MacBook.
#744481 by buns
26 Apr 2010, 19:13
mitchja wrote:Managed to pick a 16Gb iPad this morning :) Just syncing it now with my MacBook.

Congratulations ^) ^)

Do let us know what you think about it after use "in the field"

buns
#744496 by ukcobra
26 Apr 2010, 22:45
One of the useful aspects of having a Mac, is that you can connect it to an ethernet port in a hotel room, and create a wireless network, so you can use the iPad wirelessly.

The battery does appear to last a considerable amount of time.
#744497 by Darren Wheeler
26 Apr 2010, 23:03
ukcobra wrote:One of the useful aspects of having a Mac, is that you can connect it to an ethernet port in a hotel room, and create a wireless network, so you can use the iPad wirelessly.

Can you?
#744499 by Willowx
26 Apr 2010, 23:25
Darren Wheeler wrote:
ukcobra wrote:One of the useful aspects of having a Mac, is that you can connect it to an ethernet port in a hotel room, and create a wireless network, so you can use the iPad wirelessly.

Can you?

You can indeed, go to system preferences and then sharing, select internet sharing from the list on the left and them from ethernet to airport, then click on the options button to set a name and password, ok that and select the equivalent of yes from the warnings that follow and then go to your iPad/iPhone/iPod touch other mobile device (including non apple ones) and go through the standard select wi-fi procedure.
#744504 by ukcobra
27 Apr 2010, 05:28
This is a very useful way if a hotel have a policy of free wired internet and no free wireless, or free internet on only 1 device.

I now travel with 2 laptops, a work one and my own, so I always connect the mac (my own) and create a wireless network, so i can connect the other devices, like phones, work laptop , ipad etc.
#744509 by Pete
27 Apr 2010, 08:04
I still have an old Linksys WTR54GS travel router (I don't think they make them any more, sadly), which is one of the wises investments I made.

Slightly bigger than a packet of ciggies, it allows you to take either a wired or wireless signal and turn it into a wired and/or wireless signal, so in hotels with particularly weak WiFi (the Luxor comes to mind), I've been known to plug it in in the bathroom - the only place I could get a signal - and use it as a booster for the rest of the room, or just to turn the WiFi into both wired and WiFi for my laptop and iPhone. As the router has its own MAC address, hotel internet only sees it as one device, whilst I can put as many laptops, phones, etc on 'my side' of the router.

Worth grabbing one if you see anyone who still has stock, or on eBay, etc.
#744556 by mitchja
27 Apr 2010, 15:20
One thing I forgot to mention....if you use a PC, your iPad wont currently charge when connected to a PC USB socket. It currently only charges when connected to the mains via the supplied power adapter or when connected to a Mac.

Apple are aware of this problem and are currently working on it.
#744593 by buns
27 Apr 2010, 21:19
mitchja wrote:One thing I forgot to mention....if you use a PC, your iPad wont currently charge when connected to a PC USB socket. It currently only charges when connected to the mains via the supplied power adapter or when connected to a Mac.

I am sure they are working as fast as they can or is it as fast as they can sell you a MacBook :w

buns
#744597 by Scrooge
27 Apr 2010, 21:36
mitchja wrote:One thing I forgot to mention....if you use a PC, your iPad wont currently charge when connected to a PC USB socket. It currently only charges when connected to the mains via the supplied power adapter or when connected to a Mac.

I did mention this a couple of weeks ago on here,a very strange thing for Apple to slip up on, but we must remember, do not be negative about the IPad :(! it is the greatest device known to man :D :P

I actually played with one for a bit at the Apple store here in Vegas on Sunday (bonus point if you can guess who I was meeting there) and it pretty reinforced my thoughts, it's a slick looking bit of kit, it works well, but it really is a large ITouch. As such i'm going to pass (though you knew that already) but here is the big question, how much is it to replace one of those screens, I know how much the IPhone was to replace.....3 times.... I just have to wonder how much this baby would be :0
#744606 by miopyk
28 Apr 2010, 03:50
Well Im sat in the lobby of the Portofino Hotel in Orlando on my brand spanking new 64GB iPad. Truth be told it's basically a big iPod touch or iPhone but so much easier to use.

See you all soon

Miopyk
#744608 by ukcobra
28 Apr 2010, 07:31
Nice, I can recommend a few applications for the MacBook that will help convert video to the right format that the iPad will like.

I use ffmpegx mainly, it's pretty quick and has many output choices.
#744614 by Scrooge
28 Apr 2010, 08:53
miopyk wrote:Well Im sat in the lobby of the Portofino Hotel in Orlando on my brand spanking new 64GB iPad. Truth be told it's basically a big iPod touch or iPhone but so much easier to use.

See you all soon

Miopyk

OMG someone that agrees with me :0
#744622 by Neil
28 Apr 2010, 09:02
Scrooge wrote:
OMG someone that agrees with me :0

Had to happen eventually.

I actually want a big iPod touch/iPhone. It will be perfect for browsing the web at home/on holiday, so it serves a purpose for those who want what it does.

Neil
#744627 by Pete
28 Apr 2010, 10:51
Scrooge wrote:OMG someone that agrees with me :0

Dave, I don't understand what your point is.

So, the iPad is just a big iPod Touch. A wall clock is just a big wristwatch, but it's perfectly acceptable to own both.
Virgin Atlantic