#742022 by stevebrass
07 Apr 2010, 10:46
it seems that cellular networks option is not available on my phone. A brief web search suggests this is a feature of os 3.*.

I have the phone now - a delight to use.
#742030 by Willowx
07 Apr 2010, 12:40
You should be able to update to OS 3 free of charge through iTunes, click on your phone under devices, and then check for updates under version on the summary (1st) tab.
#742033 by stevebrass
07 Apr 2010, 13:15
Willowx wrote:You should be able to update to OS 3 free of charge through iTunes, click on your phone under devices, and then check for updates under version on the summary (1st) tab.

Sorry, I meant that NOT accessing cellular data networks is a feature of OS3.**
#742035 by mitchja
07 Apr 2010, 13:22
stevebrass wrote:
Willowx wrote:You should be able to update to OS 3 free of charge through iTunes, click on your phone under devices, and then check for updates under version on the summary (1st) tab.

Sorry, I meant that NOT accessing cellular data networks is a feature of OS3.**

That's not the O/S, it's your network blocking access to it. Orange I presume? Sorry I forgot about this. When I got my iPhone officially unlocked by O2, I tried an Orange PAYG SIM and access to any APN data was also blocked. Not sure if Vodafone do the same as well?
#742195 by slinky09
08 Apr 2010, 18:22
iPhone OS4 is being announced today (right now, look here for updates.

All about multi-tasking at the moment.
#742196 by Apple
08 Apr 2010, 18:32
Thanks slinky09, have abandoned my packing for Miami and am watching.
#742198 by slinky09
08 Apr 2010, 18:59
Have to say all the announcements are A1 fantastic. From listening to internet radio while receiving GPS directions, plus new location identifying, plus email enhancements, plus folders, the social networking and gaming features, don't like iAds though but nice to see iBooks coming to the iPhone and iPod!
#742199 by buns
08 Apr 2010, 19:02
slinky09 wrote:Have to say all the announcements are A1 fantastic. From listening to internet radio while receiving GPS directions, plus new location identifying, plus email enhancements, plus folders, the social networking and gaming features, don't like iAds though but nice to see iBooks coming to the iPhone and iPod!

Slinky

thanks for this "as it is" report - just one more step closer for me to get one for mrs B :w

buns
#742209 by Pete
08 Apr 2010, 20:14
The joy of being an iPhone developer... I am downloading OS 4.0 now. Let's see if I have the balls to put it on my actual phone ;)
#742220 by slinky09
08 Apr 2010, 21:09
Pete wrote:The joy of being an iPhone developer... I am downloading OS 4.0 now. Let's see if I have the balls to put it on my actual phone ;)

You mean you don't have a production iPhone and a development iPhone???

And can't you play with the Web version?

:D
#742227 by Pete
08 Apr 2010, 21:51
slinky09 wrote:
You mean you don't have a production iPhone and a development iPhone???

And can't you play with the Web version?

:D

I had a development phone... but then disassembled it. Long story, but needless to say it's difficult to install the beta on the bits that now rattle in a tupperware box.
#746214 by clarkeysntfc
18 May 2010, 23:03
Changing the topic slightly - what's everyones favourite iPhone app? The one you love to mess about with or just cant live without?!
#746216 by DocRo
18 May 2010, 23:44
Tweetie and TripIt
#746998 by totallylost
31 May 2010, 18:42
I currently have an Iphone 3g and as my contract is about to expire, I'm gonna wait until the 4th Gen Iphone comes out and upgrade to that :-)
#747037 by Aaron
31 May 2010, 22:05
totallylost wrote:I currently have an Iphone 3g and as my contract is about to expire, I'm gonna wait until the 4th Gen Iphone comes out and upgrade to that :-)

Snap! I'm trying to find dates but all I can find is anything from June to September!
#747040 by mitchja
31 May 2010, 22:10
We will all find out this time next week (June 7th) :)

O2, Orange and Apple UK have already stopped selling the 3G and I've heard that AT&T have just dropped their 3GS handset price so things are been refreshed so I would think it's only a matter of weeks now before the new iPhone becomes available to buy.

Just hoping the 16Gb 3GS trade-in price (currently ~£260) doesn't start dropping too much before then as that's where my current 3GS is going!!

What to do though? Stay on my existing O2 iPhone SIM only £20 tariff and buy the PAYG version of the new one or go back on contract with those crappy new O2 unlimited texts and fewer minutes tariffs.

The first thing I am going to do though is get O2 to unlock the new one!!
#754488 by Pete
03 Sep 2010, 11:36
I've been coasting along since the launch of the iPhone 4 on the £20 O2 month-to-month simplicity plan, but after a month of frustration trying to get a 3G signal in Edinburgh (resorting to using a 3 MiFi in the end), I'm tempted to move to 3's sim-only plan here: http://www.three.co.uk/Phones/iPhone/SIM_Only

£15 for month-to-month, double the data allowance and seemingly better 3G coverage. Only thing I think I'll lose out on is Visual Voicemail - which would be a pity, but not the end of the world.

What thoughts of the other iPhone users on here?
#754497 by LV Jay
03 Sep 2010, 12:30
The 3 plan looks on paper to be a good bet and even the £25 a month plan offering 2000 cross network minutes is excellent value.

BUT... theres always a but....

I have yet to meet anyone happy with the 3 network, I have heard that reception is weak and calls drop fairly often and poor customer service is the norm.

Would be good to hear from anyone using the 3 network.
#754498 by Sealink
03 Sep 2010, 12:39
LV Jay wrote:The 3 plan looks on paper to be a good bet and even the £25 a month plan offering 2000 cross network minutes is excellent value.

BUT... theres always a but....

I have yet to meet anyone happy with the 3 network, I have heard that reception is weak and calls drop fairly often and poor customer service is the norm.

Would be good to hear from anyone using the 3 network.

I am!

I was with 3 for over 2 years and was generally very happy - esp now I am with o2 who I find hopeless.

When my contract with o2 ends (I joined in order to get an iPhone) I will be moving back to 3...
#757184 by HWVlover
08 Oct 2010, 14:28
Time to start saving
#757190 by mitchja
08 Oct 2010, 15:36
The rumors are that this '5th generation' iPhone will just be a CDMA capable iPhone specifically for the US Verizon network.

I can't see another UK network merger being allowed to happen, offering even less competition in the UK than there already is now.

It's bad enough Orange and T-Mob where allowed to merge.

It's about time all UK networks actually started investing some of the shed loads of money they take off customers and putting it towards improving their dilapidated out-of-date networks and useless call centers.
Virgin Atlantic