#743030 by northernhenry
15 Apr 2010, 11:35
I am seeing that hanging onto my existing 2G iphone is going to be a problem in Japan (doesn't support 2G...Grrrrr n( ).

My iphone is a personal backup, access to home email, use on holidays etc - as normal day-to-day, my work phone is main contact, so I'm looking at continuing on a pay-as-you-go.

have 2G's got any trade-in worth?
Buying a handset straight out is expensive :0
Would rather avoid per mth contract, given very limited call use on a normal day-to-day basis.
Cast-off's/ second hand ?|

Any suggestions?

nh
#743032 by Scrooge
15 Apr 2010, 11:41
All I-Phones have a second hand value, even my poor beat up one is worth money, a 2G is off course worth less than a 3G, but it still has some value.

As long as it's still working you should be able to get around 200 pounds for it on Ebay.

Now picking up a 3G, I will leave that to someone else, I know someone just got a pay as you go one, I just can't remember who :#
#743037 by ukcobra
15 Apr 2010, 11:56
You can get 3G refurbs from the O2 web site, but you might need to get a contract with them. I think they were around £89 or so.

Most trade in sites, are still offering £100 or so for a 2G iPhone.
#743040 by Tinkerbelle
15 Apr 2010, 12:07
northernhenry wrote:I am seeing that hanging onto my existing 2G iphone is going to be a problem in Japan (doesn't support 2G...Grrrrr n( ).

nh

Get a 3GS - I tested mine in Japan - it worked great and had full reception everywhere.
#743044 by mitchja
15 Apr 2010, 12:20
You'll probably only get about £100 for your 2G iPhone now.

There's several trade-in websites available (O2, CPW, Enviofone, Mazuma to name a few all offer cash for old handsets). Try them all and see who offers you the most. O2 recycle seems to offer one of the best trade-in deals at the moment.

O2 are now offering a free refurb'd 3G on several contract tariffs (not PAYG though)

Be very careful buying a second hand iPhone as there are a lot of con merchants out there selling stolen (and so, therefore, network blocked) iPhones which obviously wont work when you get it. There's even people selling fake iPhones too.
#743050 by Tinkerbelle
15 Apr 2010, 12:39
Just don't buy one from Ebay as they all seem to come from China - the home of the funniest and silliest fakes around.

I couldn't stop laughing at one man in the market in Shanghai trying to convince us all that this was the genuine item!! LOL!!
#743176 by Bazz
16 Apr 2010, 11:11
This is a handy site for comparing what price you may get for your old phone:

LINK
#743356 by northernhenry
17 Apr 2010, 10:12
Bazz wrote:This is a handy site for comparing what price you may get for your old phone:

LINK

Cheers Bazz, most useful.

However, My decrepit old 2g 8G :| Doesn't seem to be listed.

Maybe worth hanging onto as an antique.. :|
Virgin Atlantic