#744720 by sehgalanuj
29 Apr 2010, 14:51
Hello to everyone here. I am new here, not exactly my first post, but definitely my first question.

I am traveling soon (20 May) for a holiday + conference trip to Sydney and Hong Kong both. Been to Sydney before, loved it, but my girlfriend's never seen it and Hong Kong is new to both of us. We're excited to say the least.

On the trip I will be taking our ever-helpful iPhones with us but T-Mobile in Germany has high data roaming rates (we live here now). I could use my SIM from Airtel (an Indian provider; I am from here originally) but that too would not exactly be cheap for data.

Do any of you have experience with international roaming SIM cards that not only offer free incoming calls but good/decent data roaming plans? I could easily procure the card from Germany, UK, India or Romania.

If you guys have other suggestions those would be welcome too. Thanks!
#744734 by mitchja
29 Apr 2010, 20:27
First of all you will need to make sure your iPhones are network unlocked from your home network (T-Mobile in your case). You will need to check if you can officially unlock your iPhones.

What I suggest you do then is buy something like this once in Hong Kong (Three are the official iPhone network in HK anyway). This is PAYG with no contract etc. I would think there are Three shops you can call into to buy these.

See if you can get something similar once you get to Sydney too.

I use a Three UK mobile broadband SIM in my iPhone without any issues, although obviously, you wont be able to make or receive calls/texts.
#744745 by sehgalanuj
30 Apr 2010, 10:43
Thanks! The Three HK card you recommended looks like exactly what I need in HK. Our iPhones are already unlocked by T-Mobile so that should not be an issue.