#754383 by pjh
02 Sep 2010, 18:36
It looks as if Hilton in the UK are starting to roll out free wi-fi as part of their status offering. It's active at the Deansgate Hilton in Manchester (I'm posting this from the Exec lounge there - same views as Cloud23, free booze, what's not to like :w ) and chats with management at the Caley in Edinburgh suggest it's in their plans too.

Paul
#754407 by pjh
02 Sep 2010, 19:07
buns wrote:
locutus wrote:Hotels should offer it free to all.

Agree, but still a good ploy to retain loyalty :D

buns

I too agree - given that every b&b / motel / coffee shop / hotel we visited in our recent West Coast trip offered it except for the Hilton Union Square. I'm sure the day will come...
#754411 by Neil
02 Sep 2010, 19:23
Yes, certainly HH diamond status now gets you free wifi at all Hilton group hotels worldwide, believe it also applies to gold card holders, although ISTBC on that one.
#754416 by hiljil
02 Sep 2010, 19:35
Yes gold card members can chose it as an option reward.
#754420 by Neil
02 Sep 2010, 19:50
hiljil wrote:Yes gold card members can chose it as an option reward.

Yes, that has been the case for quite a while now, but I'm pretty certain it is now just a free benefit, allowing you to choose either bonus miles or upgrade as the reward option, that certainly is what has happened to me as a Diamond,
#754425 by RedVee
02 Sep 2010, 20:40
Anna is half right. Up until recently free internet would have been an option under the "My Way" choices for gold and diamond members - the other alternatives being a space available upgrade including breakfast or extra points (1,000 for Hilton, less for Embassy suites, etc).

Now, its free for golds and diamonds. Personally, it won't make much difference. I always have my preferences set to space available upgrade, and have an Orange dongle. But for others, it could represent a saving of £15 a day - overpriced to start with but a good saving on previous rates.

Regards
R3dV
#754429 by pjh
02 Sep 2010, 21:52
Mmmm...worked fine earlier in the exec lounge, but my room seems to have no wireless signal available to it (apart from the omnipresent "free public wi-fi"). So back to 3G for me for the moment...
#754434 by rich1664
02 Sep 2010, 22:18
Slightly off topic, but I've been through an airport recently where access to a wifi network was free. I was quite surprised.

Just can't remember which one... It might have been Charlotte in NC or ORD....
#754436 by pjh
02 Sep 2010, 22:26
rich1664 wrote:Slightly off topic, but I've been through an airport recently where access to a wifi network was free. I was quite surprised.

Someone else who has been to Charlotte! I spent way too many hours there a few years ago - it is very dull at 2 am, take my word for it.

SEA has free wi-fi..

Paul
#754439 by Sealink
02 Sep 2010, 23:00
buns wrote:
locutus wrote:Hotels should offer it free to all.

Agree, but still a good ploy to retain loyalty :D

buns

Service should retain loyalty. |:)

(That's why I am returning to Virgin for the 3rd time in 3 years, even though the alternatives are cheaper)
#754447 by Darren Wheeler
03 Sep 2010, 00:56
pjh wrote:
rich1664 wrote:Slightly off topic, but I've been through an airport recently where access to a wifi network was free. I was quite surprised.

Someone else who has been to Charlotte! I spent way too many hours there a few years ago - it is very dull at 2 am, take my word for it.

SEA has free wi-fi..

Paul

Boise and Palm Springs have free Wi_Fi too.

I've always said hotels should offer it free. It probably works out at about £1 a night, per person. When they charge £10-£15 per night, per person it really sticks.
#754601 by pjh
04 Sep 2010, 19:36
Sealink wrote:
buns wrote:Agree, but still a good ploy to retain loyalty :D

buns

Service should retain loyalty. |:)

I see it as a bit of both. I retain a loyalty to the Hilton brand due to the use I've been able to make of its HHonors programme for myself and family. I retain a loyalty to specific Hilton properties because of the service I have received from the staff when I really needed it.

jaguarpig wrote:
Neil wrote:Yes, certainly HH diamond status now gets you free wifi at all Hilton group hotels worldwide

Not if you book through Expedia, you get zilch no points no recognition **** all. v(

Even if you have status - it isn't recognised because you've booked through the third party ? If so, I must warn a colleague about that...

Paul
#754906 by pjh
08 Sep 2010, 22:32
pjh wrote:Mmmm...worked fine earlier in the exec lounge, but my room seems to have no wireless signal available to it (apart from the omnipresent "free public wi-fi"). So back to 3G for me for the moment...

D'oh. It's actually free internet, both wired and wi-fi, not just the latter...
#754909 by honey lamb
09 Sep 2010, 00:09
I had free Wi-Fi access in the EWR Hilton last week in the public area. You couldn't move - it was wall to wall laptops! LOL!

If they can do it within the public areas why in heaven's name can't they in the rooms? Last year I had no choice but to stay in a Holiday Inn Express in the US. It was the only hotel in the town I was visiting but it had free Wi-Fi in the room. It was a godsend! Especially in that unique town (unique being a derivative of unus = one and equus = horse)!!

Cork Airport also has free Wi-Fi. I love it, especially when the incoming flight is late! :D

Oh, and I nearly missed a flight in Seattle thanks to the free Wi-Fi there!

I hate boingo! :(!
Virgin Atlantic