#755951 by buns
24 Sep 2010, 21:16
Well, taken the plunge and for once Mrs Buns & I are not having a holiday in the US :0 :D :D

Having invested in a US PAYG Phone, it would be nice to use - does anyone know if they work over there??

Many thanks

Buns
#755960 by mitchja
25 Sep 2010, 02:06
According to this page Barbados does have both 900/1800 + 1900 GSM networks (US mobiles generally use the 1900 GSM network) so US mobiles should work.

One thing to remember though is quite often roaming is often not automatically provisioned on mobile phone accounts so you may need to contact your network and get them to enable roaming first.

I've just had to ask Virgin Mobile UK to enable roaming on my account for when I travel to IAD next week.
#755961 by Tinkerbelle
25 Sep 2010, 02:28
mitchja wrote:According to this page Barbados does have both 900/1800 + 1900 GSM networks (US mobiles generally use the 1900 GSM network) so US mobiles should work.

One thing to remember though is quite often roaming is often not automatically provisioned on mobile phone accounts so you may need to contact your network and get them to enable roaming first.

I've just had to ask Virgin Mobile UK to enable roaming on my account for when I travel to IAD next week.

Virgin Mobile USA do not work outside of the US - they do not offer a roaming service.

Virgin Mobile FAQ's
#755964 by Jacki
25 Sep 2010, 05:05
buns wrote:Thanks Guys y) y)

Need to make sure I have international roaming validated on my UK phone - or is this an excuse to get a I phone ):

buns

My son got a massive Iphone bill a few years back due to Int roaming charging for checking for emails every 2 minutes whilst he was in Australia!

They refunded him but if you do get one make sure the settings are correct!
#755990 by SNOMO
25 Sep 2010, 14:58
buns wrote:Well, taken the plunge and for once Mrs Buns & I are not having a holiday in the US :0 :D :D
Having invested in a US PAYG Phone, it would be nice to use - does anyone know if they work over there??
Many thanks
Buns

You don't actually need a US phone just a US SIM to put in your own phone - we have one and a permanent Boston phone number, works great for us, check out this website www.simplecallingservice.com
Virgin Atlantic