#758782 by phantomtwin
31 Oct 2010, 12:29
Morning,

Am hoping someone out there can give me a steer on this.

Am in a lovely new villa in Davenport this coming January however it has no internet/wifi at all.

Anyone know the best pay as you go model?

This looked interesting, http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-b ... nd2go.html

particularly like the look of the MIFI 2200 though it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Any help/suggestions welcomed.

thanks

andrew
Last edited by phantomtwin on 31 Oct 2010, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
#758799 by chumba
31 Oct 2010, 16:00
Walmart on Sand Lake Road had about a dozen on the shelves yesterday i was thinking of getting one. They were priced at $149. (Virgin Network)

Can't remember the data costs but i think $10 for 3GB usage was the lowest
#759306 by p17blo
07 Nov 2010, 16:26
Well, I have been away from the site for a while but I came back with a specific question very similar to this. So I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread... )

I have both a Jailbroken iPad (with wifi hot spot capability thanks to an app called PDA NET) and an unlocked 3 MiFi unit. I have already tried multiple sims in both and am happy they are both fully unlocked - Obviously the iPad takes a micro-sim and the MiFi takes a full size sim.

So I am off to MCO in 2 weeks, whilst I do have wifi in the Villa I want to know if any of the phone retailers will sell me a PAYG sim.

I have had a look at AT&T who seem to offer SIM only on contract, although can't work out how their rolling contract iPad data plan works - Ironically my ipad is form the US but I binned the original AT&T micro sim. So the only offering I could see form AT&T was a $75 offering for a GO Phone with 250mb data. As they supply a nokia phone I intended to remove the sim and put this in the MiFi unit.

I can also see form the T-Mobile site that I can buy a 1 month rolling contract sim only and have a data only bundle (unlmited data) for $35 - But the problem is I have been to T-Mobile stands (not stores) before and the guys that work these are unhelpful to say the least. So will they sell me a sim as a non US resident (although I do have a US address and a US regisitered credit card, but I don't have any other US ID).

Are there any other options for me to walk in and just buy a sim with a months worth of data?

If I can get either the ipad or MiFi working I can use the one connection for both my ipad and my iphone.

All help greatly appreciated.

Paul
#759314 by AlecK
07 Nov 2010, 17:40
Try mr sim card, they are now stocking pre paid ipad sims.

http://www.mrsimcard.com/ipad.html

iPad USA Sim with 30 Day Unlimited Data included.
USA Micro Sim iPad / iPhone 4
This sim card is designed for use in a 3G Apple iPad or iPhone 4, or any device requiring a Micro Sim. Enjoy 30 days of Unlimited EDGE data on your iPad while in the USA. Just tell us when to turn it on, and away you go for 30 days. There is not contract or long term commitment. Sim will also work in iPhone 4. You can use up to 200 Voice minutes and Unlimited Domestic Text messaging. $89.99

I used the 15 day t mobile iphone sim from them two weeks ago in my unlocked 3gs in orlando and it worked fine.
#759315 by p17blo
07 Nov 2010, 18:43
Thanks for the info AlexK - Not sure I would be too happy with EDGE. Would far prefer 3G or 4G (HSPA). Whilst it's been a while since I have been out to the US I usually travel 4-8 times a year, so ideally I could do with something that works out a bit more econimical for that level of travel without the ongoing comittment of a contract (particularly at US rates).

I would also have the problem of where to receive the shipment - I haven't looked through the site thoroughly enough, but as I am in a villa I wouldn't want to hang around to sign for a parcel.

Paul
#759321 by AlecK
07 Nov 2010, 19:00
I had mine shipped to our home address two weeks in advance of the trip and them mr sim activated it on the day of travel.

Edge wasn't the fastest data connection I've ever had but it was OK for iphone usage.
#765713 by phantomtwin
30 Jan 2011, 23:09
All - just a quick update, I purchased one of the Virgin MiFi 2200 from Best Buy in Davenport the day after arriving in Florida.

After I finally managed to break into the packaging set up was fairly straightforward and was soon up and running via my Macbook Air.

All told I was pretty impressed by the speed of the connection and battery life, fast enough to stream R5 ok and general browsing absolutely fine.

As Mitchja has already noted in another post the $40/month is not quite as unlimited as it was but the deal is still pretty good.

I'm in two minds whether to sell it as I'm not sure when I'm back in the USA, so if anyone is interested PM me, its had less than two weeks use and is in mint condition.

thanks and thanks for the advice and info before we went.

thanks

Andrew
#765715 by Luke085
30 Jan 2011, 23:32
phantomtwin wrote:All - just a quick update, I purchased one of the Virgin MiFi 2200 from Best Buy in Davenport the day after arriving in Florida.

After I finally managed to break into the packaging set up was fairly straightforward and was soon up and running via my Macbook Air.

All told I was pretty impressed by the speed of the connection and battery life, fast enough to stream R5 ok and general browsing absolutely fine.

As Mitchja has already noted in another post the $40/month is not quite as unlimited as it was but the deal is still pretty good.

I'm in two minds whether to sell it as I'm not sure when I'm back in the USA, so if anyone is interested PM me, its had less than two weeks use and is in mint condition.

thanks and thanks for the advice and info before we went.

thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Great to hear, I've suggested this to a friend of mine who owns a villa out near Davenport (the same villa I am staying in!), if he does want to buy one, I will PM you!

Luke
Virgin Atlantic