#762841 by willd
28 Dec 2010, 22:32
Ok so not really a travel tech question more of tech but I am getting rather frustrated by the lack of google answers that I understand!

Today decided to purchase an Airport Extreme in the Apple Store. The lovely chap told me it was simple to set up (basically plug ethernet cable into back, follow on screen instructions and hey presto!).

So I get home, instal the Airport Utility software, set up the airport and then plug ethernet cable into airport. But I just get what is essentially an error message.

What I am trying to do is to get rid of my freebie crappy Sky Broadband/Netgear router. I realise that I cannot do replace the router with the airport as the airport doesnt have a modem. However surely if I connect the ethernet cable from Sky/Netgear router into the back of the Airport Extreme then it should all work? I.e. the Airport Extreme will distribute the wireless signal (instead of Sky/Netgear(wireless disabled already) and I should have the added advantages.

Any hints or suggestions gratefully received!
#762846 by rtlynes
29 Dec 2010, 00:00
You need to put the airport into access point mode rather than router mode.

You need connection sharing set to off(Bridge mode)

Have one here setup if you want to run want me to check any settings for you.

Rob
#762867 by mitchja
29 Dec 2010, 10:25
It's a very common issue. I believe you also have to do something on the Netgear router as well to switch it to just 'modem' mode.

This is one of the reasons why I wont buy an Airport Extreme as I simply cannot understand why any companies like Apple are still making/designing routers without ADSL/Cable modems built into them v(
#762903 by willd
29 Dec 2010, 22:52
rtlynes wrote:Did you manage to sort out the problem?

Not had the patience to try again this evening. Will try tomorrow and report back! Thanks for the help tough.
Virgin Atlantic