#762958 by DragonLady
30 Dec 2010, 23:49
This is my first trip into JFK with more than one companion traveller ( historically Mr DL or DL the Elder) so we normally take a cab/car.
This time there will be 4 of us to transport - DL the Elder , Dragonbaby (it's her 18th :D ), Nessy and myself (Mr DL and stepfather have declined the trip offer. I wonder why ? ).
Given that there will be the proverbial s**t load of luggage (and that I take the kitchen sink with me as does DL the Elderand Dragonbaby..), what's our best option transfer wise?
DL the Elder and Nessy are travelling up front ( ): ) so will be off first (DB and I are back in Y for the time being :) ). Do we despatch them off in a taxi and follow suit later, hire a town car or try an alternative?
Help :0 :0
Thanks.
DL
#762961 by honey lamb
31 Dec 2010, 00:01
Hire a town car. The cost of two taxis will equate to that. Besides we all know there is no way you will end up in Y. W maybe but Y never!
#762963 by tontybear
31 Dec 2010, 00:09
Ditto on Carmel

They have vehicles of all shapes and sizes and are 'kitchen sink transport compatable'

If you are in one of the US airlines reward schmes they list you can get miles too!
#762968 by DragonLady
31 Dec 2010, 00:36
honey lamb wrote: Besides we all know there is no way you will end up in Y. W maybe but Y never!

Honestly HL !!!! :0 DB and I are rammed in 57 H/K on the outward journey :0 .And there we will stay .. :)(whilst DL the Elder and Nessy are esconcsed in comfort in UC ) I've moved us on the homeward journey up to W (but DB doesn't know that yet :) ) and DL the Elder and Nessy still return home in comfort in UC :)
DL
#762969 by honey lamb
31 Dec 2010, 01:03
DragonLady wrote:
honey lamb wrote: Besides we all know there is no way you will end up in Y. W maybe but Y never!

Honestly HL !!!! :0 DB and I are rammed in 57 H/K on the outward journey :0 .And there we will stay .. :)
DL

Yeah, right! :w
#762978 by slinky09
31 Dec 2010, 08:59
Dear Lady Dragon, JFK in Economy, I'm with HL.

On the transport deffo book a big car and specify for four with luggage when booking. Carmel are OK, I also use Tristar around New York but they tend toward the pricier end. A couple of tips:

- on arrival at JFK when you exit the terminal you cross a road to the taxi rank and the limo pick-up (if not met in the terminal) is on the other side of the taxi rank) - there are masses of dodgy car hawkers at JFK so brush them off!
- on your return, ask your hotel doorman what price for a car back to JFK for cash - it will always be cheaper than prebooking or going through the hotel concierge (e.g. when I travel hotel concierge = $120, hotel doorman = $60)

Have a great trip!
#763063 by DragonLady
02 Jan 2011, 10:51
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Carmel's website don't seem to mention tolls (Dial 7's does and says they are in addition to the fare). I presume this will be the same for Carmel?
The town car isn't an option (too much luggage) so I'm going to opt for the 6 seater minivan.
Given that we arrive in JFK circa 20.00hrs (and that my companions should be a fair bit in front of us at immigration :) ) what time should I book the car for ? I've flown into EWR late in the day (to a deserted immigration hall) but not into JFK so have no idea how busy it's likely to be.
Thanks
DL
#763066 by tontybear
02 Jan 2011, 13:02
Yes the tolls will be added to the fare and don't forget the tip too !

The on-line form for Carmel (and I guess Diall 7 too) askes for the flight number/arrival arrival time so give them that and they will wait for you - they are more than used to delayed flights and the time to get through immigration etc
Virgin Atlantic