#763785 by Hamster
11 Jan 2011, 21:14
I know this question has been asked before about different states but I am finding the American system for mobile phones very confusing :?

So I am off to CA in March, and was thinking about getting a sim card that I could use for 1 week (or a month is needs be) of mobile Internet.
Wifi is not free one place I am staying and not sure other place has it v(

(I have an unlocked phone that can become a wifi hotspot)

The US carrier sites are very confusing for me as the language is different to UK

So any help would be appreciated, I have also read of problems about buying in the UK and using UK cards to top-up etc... I would love to be able to buy before I leave but other options are welcome

Thanks
#763790 by Darren Wheeler
11 Jan 2011, 21:26
You would have to opt for a pre-paid connection and they tend not to deal in data-only connections.

As Buns mentions, you would need to look at either the Virgin Mi-Fi or dongle, depending on your needs. You need to balance how much you will use it for the initial outlay of about $200, compared to paying the hotel rate.

Either that, or camp out in a Starbuck and use their wi-fi in exchange for a regular supply of coffee.
#763791 by tontybear
11 Jan 2011, 21:37
Hamster wrote:Wifi is not free one place I am staying and not sure other place has it v(

why not email and find out? Have done this in the past and always get a rapid response.

You can then balance that out against the cost of a mifi or dongle.

Where are you staying? Some hotels offer free wifi to members of their loyalty scheme.
#763794 by Hamster
11 Jan 2011, 22:05
tontybear wrote:Where are you staying? Some hotels offer free wifi to members of their loyalty scheme.

Staying at the Mandarin Oriental, who, as far as I know, don't have a loyalty scheme. (would be great if they did though!)

I will be able to survive using the business centre on the ground floor but would be nice to get Internet elsewhere.
#763795 by mitchja
11 Jan 2011, 22:44
I'd be very surprised if an MO did not have internet access in some form in the rooms.

If a hotel only has wired Internet access get yourself a mini travel WiFi router which will allow you to convert wired access into shared WiFi access. I got mine of eBay for about £40.
#763801 by Hamster
12 Jan 2011, 00:01
mitchja wrote:I'd be very surprised if an MO did not have internet access in some form in the rooms.

If a hotel only has wired Internet access get yourself a mini travel WiFi router which will allow you to convert wired access into shared WiFi access. I got mine of eBay for about £40.

The price is quite high for internet inroom at MO.

Good idea about the router, the first hotel we are going to only has wired for some reason...

Thanks
#763812 by catsilversword
12 Jan 2011, 06:42
What happens with roaming and a Blackberry phone? I've changed my settings to disable data services when roaming, as I think this should stop me getting emails via my phone when abroad. Is this right though, will it stop emails? I think it should, but have just heard a horror story of someone who was uploading photos to facebook while in the US, he came home to a bill of around £1100!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't need to surf or use my phone at all abroad - if necessary and safer, would take an old phone that just texts and stuff. Anyone know????
#763819 by slinky09
12 Jan 2011, 08:42
There are two Starbucks with free Wifi within one block of the MO, one on Sansome and one on California ... if you have an iPad or iPhone download the 'Free WiFi Finder' App!
#763823 by Neil
12 Jan 2011, 08:58
slinky09 wrote:There are two Starbucks with free Wifi within one block of the MO, one on Sansome and one on California ... if you have an iPad or iPhone download the 'Free WiFi Finder' App!

That is what we always do, find a Starbucks or McDonald's, buy a coffee and spend a bit of time surfing and just catching up. Unless you really need a lot of internet access it free and easy.
#763825 by DragonLady
12 Jan 2011, 09:10
Hamster wrote:The price is quite high for internet inroom at MO.

Slightly OT I know but this is a major peeve of mine :(! . Outrageous in this day and age (and something many of the cheaper chains offer for free).
DL
#763840 by Hamster
12 Jan 2011, 13:08
DragonLady wrote:
Slightly OT I know but this is a major peeve of mine :(! . Outrageous in this day and age (and something many of the cheaper chains offer for free).
DL

I 100% agree! There is something wrong when you can spend $150-200 a night on a room and get free WiFi, but when spending $1000+ a night at a hotel WiFi is extra!

Hopefully it is something that will change in the next few years.
#763841 by slinky09
12 Jan 2011, 13:14
Neil wrote:[That is what we always do, find a Starbucks or McDonald's, buy a coffee and spend a bit of time surfing and just catching up. Unless you really need a lot of internet access it free and easy.

You're not alone, although I'm lucky, I have a US iPhone and a US 3G data doobery for my laptop.

For DL, I read something a while back about why cheaper hotels do not charge for extras like buffet breakfast or WiFi, but expensive ones do. I'll try to find it.
#763850 by rich1664
12 Jan 2011, 14:09
It is crazy that hotels charge like that.

there is a group of ten us currently all in the Park Plaza Boston for three weeks where the internet charge is $21 a day - which they have waived for us as a group. But it still seems really high.

It's also only a wired connection, so I know always travel with an airport express so I can create my own wireless network.
#763889 by tontybear
12 Jan 2011, 18:44
When I stayed in San Fran in Sept 2009 the hotel gave free wifi for members of its loyalty scheme which I joined. There were no pre conditions just be a member!

I always factor in any internet charges now when sourcing hotels and looking at costs. If necessary I email the hotel to check as they don't always make it clear on their websites.

One hotel had a deal with it included but when I compared it to the normal rate + seperate wifi charge the 'deal' was more expensive !
Virgin Atlantic