#772555 by slinky09
25 Mar 2011, 06:44
And showing dispatch times of 2-3 weeks - some availability eh?
#772560 by catsilversword
25 Mar 2011, 09:54
Looking in Selfridges yesterday and the guy said he hadn't even seen one yet. Helpful - not.

Someone run me through them please? Am thinking of getting one, but will be a total change for us as to date we've used pcs and netbooks. What happens for programs such as Word and Excel equivalents? I don't do anything complex with either, but would need some kind of software. Do you have to buy separately and is it extortionate? What about compatibility with docs I already have on pc and and ipad - would I be able to open/read them? Apart from snobbery that often seems to be with Apple products, is there any real difference?

Standing well back...... :)
#772563 by slinky09
25 Mar 2011, 10:30
catsilversword wrote:Someone run me through them please? Am thinking of getting one, but will be a total change for us as to date we've used pcs and netbooks. What happens for programs such as Word and Excel equivalents? I don't do anything complex with either, but would need some kind of software. Do you have to buy separately and is it extortionate? What about compatibility with docs I already have on pc and and ipad - would I be able to open/read them? Apart from snobbery that often seems to be with Apple products, is there any real difference?

Standing well back...... :)

Loads to answer - but a great thing to do would be to book an appointment at an Apple store to get your hands on one and ask all the questions have ... here are some answers:

- there are word processing and spreadsheet applications that are editable on the iPad (Apple's own iWork for one, I believe they can accept some Excel files?)
- there are plenty of handwriting and drawing apps too, I use these a lot for meeting notes
- I also use an App called Goodreader to transfer files from my PC and Mac to the iPad for reading on the move, it's a pretty good one for sorting folders and stuff (think it cost like $3!)
- I have so many other things, including loads of favourite movies in case VPort breaks down or I'm on an old Odyssey equipped VS plane :D

In short, yes you can do all the things you say - and a heck of a lot more, and it's just so portable and high quality!
#772565 by mitchja
25 Mar 2011, 10:56
Well I've ordered my iPad2 16Gb 3G online (eventually) :D I gave up last night but tried again first thing this morning and it went though.

My order status is so far showing a ship date of April 15 (3 weeks), hopefully that might change though.
#772566 by duggy83
25 Mar 2011, 11:43
mitchja wrote:Well iPad2's are loaded into the online Apple store with prices, you just cannot buy them yet :w

And amazingly they're cheaper than when last years were launched.. that I didn't expect haha
#772571 by catsilversword
25 Mar 2011, 12:10
slinky09 wrote:Loads to answer - but a great thing to do would be to book an appointment at an Apple store to get your hands on one and ask all the questions have ... here are some answers:

- there are word processing and spreadsheet applications that are editable on the iPad (Apple's own iWork for one, I believe they can accept some Excel files?)
- there are plenty of handwriting and drawing apps too, I use these a lot for meeting notes
- I also use an App called Goodreader to transfer files from my PC and Mac to the iPad for reading on the move, it's a pretty good one for sorting folders and stuff (think it cost like $3!)
- I have so many other things, including loads of favourite movies in case VPort breaks down or I'm on an old Odyssey equipped VS plane :D

In short, yes you can do all the things you say - and a heck of a lot more, and it's just so portable and high quality!

Many thanks for all that! I did spend some time yesterday in an Apple store with a guy, but I felt you people on her were actually far more expert!

I find it puzzling that the biggest seems storage seems to be only 64gb - as netbooks can be bought with much more storage. I was trying to ask yesterday if ipads store things differently and if that's reason storage size is lower - but the guy didn't give me any answer to that one.
#772574 by mitchja
25 Mar 2011, 12:46
Just to give you an idea of iPad app prices:

Pages / Numbers / Keynote apps (these are all iPad specific versions of the popular Apple OS X iWorks software available for Macs are all £5.99 each (you can buy them all individually).

Pages = word processor
Numbers = spreadsheet
Keynote = presentation

(there are others available too, although no Microsoft Office apps for iPads).

Most apps tend to be in the region of between 99p upto £10 each. Although you can pay upwards of £50 for some apps such as SatNav apps.

Many are also free though (there's often a free 'taster' version of a full paid app which will be limited in some way, much like shareware software on a PC).

Just looking at the iPad chart for paid apps. Angry Birds HD is *still* the no 1 app (it's a very annoying but addictive game) for £1.79 for the iPad version.

There's plenty of good free apps too. Obviously some are rubbish and don't do much but most of pretty good actually. A good free app I've just installed is the BBC iPlayer and the Sky News app.

One thing to watch out for are free apps that have in-app purchasing options. Lots of games are free but they offer what's known as in-app purchases to buy extras like new game levels or items to help you in the game etc etc so whilst the initial game might be free before you know it you are paying to play the game anyway. There's been quite a bit of press about these as Children have been racking up their parents credit card bills by buying extras via in-app purchase. Apple are supposed to be sorting this by asking for a password every time you make an in-app purchase.

All apps are purchased and downloaded either via iTunes on your PC or Mac or via the App store on the iPad/iPhone. If you have never used iTunes you have to set up an account with a credit card (even to purchase free apps) so Apple will always have access to your payment details to process these in-app purchases, although it's all secure and perfectly legit.
#772581 by chumba
25 Mar 2011, 14:54
I've been lucky enough to have just had a peek at the new white model, :D have to say it looks very nice and feels very light. y) Unfortunantly i wasn't allowed to play with it though v(

Will be getting one but will wait a few weeks till am in the US to save the pennies.
#772590 by clarkeysntfc
25 Mar 2011, 16:55
Wait for iPad 3, which is due in the autumn (I think).

That's (if rumours are true) going to be a much bigger advance.
#772604 by catsilversword
25 Mar 2011, 18:30
mitchja wrote:Just to give you an idea of iPad app prices:

Pages / Numbers / Keynote apps (these are all iPad specific versions of the popular Apple OS X iWorks software available for Macs are all £5.99 each (you can buy them all individually).

Pages = word processor
Numbers = spreadsheet
Keynote = presentation

(there are others available too, although no Microsoft Office apps for iPads).

Most apps tend to be in the region of between 99p upto £10 each. Although you can pay upwards of £50 for some apps such as SatNav apps.

Many are also free though (there's often a free 'taster' version of a full paid app which will be limited in some way, much like shareware software on a PC).

Just looking at the iPad chart for paid apps. Angry Birds HD is *still* the no 1 app (it's a very annoying but addictive game) for £1.79 for the iPad version.

There's plenty of good free apps too. Obviously some are rubbish and don't do much but most of pretty good actually. A good free app I've just installed is the BBC iPlayer and the Sky News app.

One thing to watch out for are free apps that have in-app purchasing options. Lots of games are free but they offer what's known as in-app purchases to buy extras like new game levels or items to help you in the game etc etc so whilst the initial game might be free before you know it you are paying to play the game anyway. There's been quite a bit of press about these as Children have been racking up their parents credit card bills by buying extras via in-app purchase. Apple are supposed to be sorting this by asking for a password every time you make an in-app purchase.

All apps are purchased and downloaded either via iTunes on your PC or Mac or via the App store on the iPad/iPhone. If you have never used iTunes you have to set up an account with a credit card (even to purchase free apps) so Apple will always have access to your payment details to process these in-app purchases, although it's all secure and perfectly legit.

Thanks James - and thanks for the heads-up with games, though it isn't something that interests either himself or me, so not likely to be a problem. I do have itunes already, so it looks like that's one hurdle I don't need to negotiate. y)
#772607 by locutus
25 Mar 2011, 18:35
Just had a fondle of one in Best buy, I'm still pondering buying one.
#772665 by catsilversword
26 Mar 2011, 09:26
I really don't need one. Worries me though that I like to look of them. And the feel. I like the fact that it boots up instantly (is this really so or just something they tweak in the stores?) I was using my netbook yesterday and it isn't that great at loading pages online - what's the ipad like for that?

As I say, I really can't justify it and yet... and yet....
#772764 by Tinkerbelle
27 Mar 2011, 13:59
catsilversword wrote:I was using my netbook yesterday and it isn't that great at loading pages online - what's the ipad like for that?

I find the iPad extremely quick at loading webpages - sometimes even quicker than my MacBook.
:)
#772775 by mitchja
27 Mar 2011, 14:43
an IPad will wake up instantly from it's sleep mode. If you switch it off completely though (in the same way as an iPhone) it obviously does have to boot up which takes a minute or so.

I very rarely switch either my iPhone or iPad completely off.

One draw-back to viewing multiple web page tags with the iPad1 is that because the first gen one has only got 256mb of RAM, every time you flip over to another web page tab, the whole webpage re-loads. Apparently the iPad2 does not do this. Also there are charging issues with the iPad1 and Windows PC USB sockets (works with a Mac OK). No idea if this has been resolved with the iPad2 though.
#773122 by DragonLady
29 Mar 2011, 18:49
I am gutted :( :( . Having dragged Mr DL out of bed at stupid o'clock this morning and driven down to the Apple store in Vegas, and then stood in line full of anticipation I was unsuccessful. The last one wet to the woman in front of me . Cruel or what B) ??!! At least we were heading back to the hotel by 8.15. It doesn't help that those in front of me mostly bought two each and it wasn't a big delivery (and they had none yesterday because I had asked when I was in there)
Do I go and do it all again tomorrow???
DL
#773138 by tontybear
29 Mar 2011, 19:27
DragonLady wrote:Do I go and do it all again tomorrow???
DL

If you do, Mr DL might appreciate not being dragged out of bed !
#773471 by mitchja
31 Mar 2011, 21:43
If you are using a Windows PC, the iPad2 will still not charge properly when plugged into a PC USB socket. It comes up as 'Not charging' although it does charge up but only very slowly.

Blown away by the iPad2 here, even after being an iPad1 user. It so much more refined than the first version and feels much better to hold. The Smart covers are good if a bit pricey (I dont like the colours in the PU version so bought a black leather one).

As many reviews have already mentioned, both cameras on the iPad2 are not good, the photos it takes are poor and are no where near the quality of any iPhone cameras (apparently the iPad cams are the same ones that are on the latest iPod Touch)

If you are struggling to get one, use the online Apple retail store reservation system. Next day stock reservations are available every evening at 21:00 - you need to be quick though as they don't last long!! The 3G models are the most popular it seems as these are selling out first.
#773872 by clarkeysntfc
04 Apr 2011, 13:47
OK, confession to make.

I was very much in the 'wait for the iPad 3' and 'why do I need one when we've got a windows laptop and iPhone 3GS' camp until I nipped into the Apple shop on Sunday. That 'nip' lasted about an hour, and now I've got a fairly hefty gadget-crush on the iPad2.

I've got a worrying feeling I might come back from Florida in 2 weeks clutching one now!

Can someone help cure this gadget-crush? They're not that good are they?!
#773873 by Neil
04 Apr 2011, 13:54
clarkeysntfc wrote:OK, confession to make.

I was very much in the 'wait for the iPad 3' and 'why do I need one when we've got a windows laptop and iPhone 3GS' camp until I nipped into the Apple shop on Sunday. That 'nip' lasted about an hour, and now I've got a fairly hefty gadget-crush on the iPad2.

I've got a worrying feeling I might come back from Florida in 2 weeks clutching one now!

Can someone help cure this gadget-crush? They're not that good are they?!

I have to say - I had my first play with the iPad 2 on Sunday, and I really wasn't that impressed (as an improvement on the original iPad). I certainly will be waiting until the next version before upgrading.
#773874 by David
04 Apr 2011, 13:59
Sitting in Orlando playing with one at the moment.

Only 2 problems so far (this is the first trip with one, although I still brought my laptop )

I wish they would bang heads together and sort out the flash issue and secondly, if staying in a disney hotel, (or a disney vacation club villa) , they don't have wireless and without Internet connection, it's a bit limited.

HGV 's however do have wireless and what a difference it makes.

David
#773875 by Tinkerbelle
04 Apr 2011, 14:02
David wrote:
I wish they would bang heads together and sort out the flash issue and secondly, if staying in a disney hotel, (or a disney vacation club villa) , they don't have wireless and without Internet connection, it's a bit limited.

Buy a mini wireless router for travelling - it saves a lot of hassle when dealing with places who only have a wired connection.
#773876 by David
04 Apr 2011, 14:15
Tinkerbelle wrote:
David wrote:

Buy a mini wireless router for travelling - it saves a lot of hassle when dealing with places who only have a wired connection.

y) thanks, that seems to be the way to go - I think, is it something like airport express by apple that seems to be one of the better ones. ?|

David
Virgin Atlantic