#769783 by totallylost
04 Mar 2011, 20:41
Like the look of the Ipad 2, but kinda agree with Neil, nothing really makes me want to go buy one, think I'll stick with my Ipad 1st gen for now and wait until a l8r incarnation arrives.
#769865 by David
05 Mar 2011, 17:14
Ok, so was tempted by the reductions this weekend and bought the cheapest version to try out :D before committing to the new one with 3G (this one could go to my niece)

So what's all the great apps ?

Thanks

David
#769884 by mitchja
05 Mar 2011, 20:28
Might get one here, not sure yet. If I do, it will definitely be a 3G version this time.

The location services (Google maps etc) are rubbish on the WiFi only model as it can never find your current location (either when using MiFi when out and about or my home Sky broadband WiFi). You do need the proper GPS chip which only the 3G versions (current & iPad 2) do have.
#769913 by lobbers
06 Mar 2011, 08:08
I'll have to investigate further, but someone told me tonight that if you have an iPhone with the new operating system that is coming out, it makes your iPhone a 3G hot spot which you can connect your iPad to.

If that's the case, then the iPad versions with 3G would be an unnecessary waste of money for anyone with a 3G iPhone, or am I missing something here?
#769917 by Adastral
06 Mar 2011, 09:47
lobbers wrote:I'll have to investigate further, but someone told me tonight that if you have an iPhone with the new operating system that is coming out, it makes your iPhone a 3G hot spot which you can connect your iPad to.

In theory yes you can. I have an ipod, which when out and about I can connect to the internet using the hotspot feature on my android phone.

So provided apple don't decide to block this specific use to save revenue, you will be ok ( i say this as they the ipod has a bluetooth device, but cannot talk to non apple bluetooth devices)
#769921 by slinky09
06 Mar 2011, 10:03
lobbers wrote:I'll have to investigate further, but someone told me tonight that if you have an iPhone with the new operating system that is coming out, it makes your iPhone a 3G hot spot which you can connect your iPad to.

If that's the case, then the iPad versions with 3G would be an unnecessary waste of money for anyone with a 3G iPhone, or am I missing something here?

That's very much by anticipation based on the news I heard. Which will work a treat for me, since I have a UK and a US registered iPhone4. I like enough of the new iPad to get one, in any case, the no.1 at home wants one, so why not trade on!
#769923 by chumba
06 Mar 2011, 10:33
Having read the new IOS spec it says that the wifi hotspot feature it is for the iPhone 4 so not for those that have the earlier 3gs and also - "Personal Hotspot requires a supporting hotspot tethering plan from your carrier and works with up to three devices over Wi-Fi, three devices over Bluetooth, and one device over USB."

So you can't just use it, you need a tethering plan as well, which i have no idea as to cost, guess it's carrier dependant. So the 3g version may prove to better economically as you will get your own data usage with the plan instead of using the iPhones data allowance.
#769928 by Adastral
06 Mar 2011, 10:45
It is carrier dependent, but i would think they are all nearly the same...

here is vodafones costs - basically you may have one gig in your plan, but anything tethered is additional - I am certain one day in the history of telecoms, they will say that the iphone marked a point where the money started to pour in again for the mobile carriers, and if its a truthful history, it will say this is because they had a new opportunity to fleece the customers!

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/iphone/tethering.html
#772400 by totallylost
23 Mar 2011, 19:51
well dispite my earlier post, having looked at the Ipad 2 and considering that I'm gonna be in NYC in May, I might just try and pick ipad 2 up stateside, if there's any left when i get there of course :-)
#772402 by Tinkerbelle
23 Mar 2011, 19:57
totallylost wrote:well dispite my earlier post, having looked at the Ipad 2 and considering that I'm gonna be in NYC in May, I might just try and pick ipad 2 up stateside, if there's any left when i get there of course :-)

There will probably be loads of stock in May. It's just the first few weeks that are a problem, especially with people buying as many as they can from various stores just to sell on Ebay! :(!
#772404 by buns
23 Mar 2011, 20:00
Hopefully by May supplies will be plentiful. Speaking to a friend who works at a Best Buy in Tampa, he tells me they are currently receiving only 3 a day :0

buns
#772409 by MrT
23 Mar 2011, 20:19
Tinkerbelle wrote:
totallylost wrote:well dispite my earlier post, having looked at the Ipad 2 and considering that I'm gonna be in NYC in May, I might just try and pick ipad 2 up stateside, if there's any left when i get there of course :-)

There will probably be loads of stock in May. It's just the first few weeks that are a problem, especially with people buying as many as they can from various stores just to sell on Ebay! :(!

Exactly, like these guys - queuing up with suitcases on launch day to snaffle as many as they could to facilitate their own unofficial launch in Hong Kong.

http://micgadget.com/11681/ipad-2-selli ... ay-market/
#772411 by slinky09
23 Mar 2011, 20:22
I am so toying with queuing on Friday vs May ... what should I do?
#772413 by Tinkerbelle
23 Mar 2011, 20:27
I really wish they would only accept credit cards for the iPad2 for the first few weeks they are on sale (they did this in the US last year) - it would certainly help a little in people who genuinely want one and help to stop them being resold in the quantities they are.

But hey, I have a book and my iPhone to pass the time whilst I wait in a queue nice and early to try and get one!
#772416 by MrT
23 Mar 2011, 20:35
TBH I'd wait, will be cheaper than buying it here anyway?
#772417 by Tinkerbelle
23 Mar 2011, 20:36
MrT wrote:TBH I'd wait, will be cheaper than buying it here anyway?

Yes. I've done the maths already. :D
#772419 by totallylost
23 Mar 2011, 20:54
I'll defo wait till I get to the US in May, as when i brought my Ipad 1, i paid well over the odds for it, as Apple don't ship to channel islands, so have very little choice and I really wanted one, so got one through on of our telecom companies and it was about £250 over the Apple price. ( I really, really wanted one) Hence I won't be doin that again, not since I have an opportunity to get one in the US.
#772421 by Tinkerbelle
23 Mar 2011, 20:59

Try the Apple Store on W14 St - much quieter than the other two stores.
#772519 by slinky09
24 Mar 2011, 17:55
Tinkerbelle wrote:

I still have some John Lewis gift tokens from the 2009 VS offer ... so off to JL in Oxford Street tomorrow (and I know what time they'll have them too ii) ) so thank you Virgin!
#772520 by mitchja
24 Mar 2011, 18:02
I'm going to try my luck ordering one online when Apple start selling them at 1am in the morning.

Don't forget UK Apple retail stores don't start selling them until 5pm tomorrow. Not sure about other UK stores though (PC world etc)?
#772524 by rdm
24 Mar 2011, 18:47
mitchja wrote:I'm going to try my luck ordering one online when Apple start selling them at 1am in the morning.

Don't forget UK Apple retail stores don't start selling them until 5pm tomorrow. Not sure about other UK stores though (PC world etc)?

PC World are selling them from 5pm & I presume that the other retailers and phone companies will be doing the same. This will undoubtedly be a sanction imposed by Apple to make sure they get the biggest queues possible outside of their own stores.
#772546 by phantomtwin
24 Mar 2011, 23:51
slinky09 wrote:
Tinkerbelle wrote:

I still have some John Lewis gift tokens from the 2009 VS offer ... so off to JL in Oxford Street tomorrow (and I know what time they'll have them too ii) ) so thank you Virgin!

Don't forget you can use you're JL gift vouchers online at johnlewis.com, they will also be live with iPad2 tomorrow and will probably have more stock than the shops.

PLUS :) buy via the VA website shopping link to johnlewis.com and there will be more free miles coming you're way!

that's my plan

A
Virgin Atlantic