#769252 by Roxy-Popsy
28 Feb 2011, 22:58
To anyone going to use the Florida Turnpike I suggest you log onto www.SunPass.com & update yourselves with the latest info.

With effect from Saturday 19th Feb 2011:

All electronic tolling is now operational on Florida's turnpike from U.S 1, Milepost 0 to Milepost 47, the Miami-Dade/Broward County line.

You should seriously consider getting yourselves a prepaid SunPass.

If you don't, then the credit card that you used to hire your car, will automatically be debited each time you drive thru one of the new fully automated tolls. Toll rates are higher than the SunPass rates.

You can purchase a prepaid SunPass via your car hire company, they should offer you this option, the comapny we used didn't.
if they don't offer, then ASK.

You can also purchase transponders via major outlets such as CVS, Publix etc. However, these take 4 hours from the time of purchase to register with the SunPass computer.

I hope this makes sense, we arrived home this morning on VS016 so I'm a tad weary but just wanted to adivse any V-Flyers to whom it may be relevant.

If you want to post any questions I'll try to answer them in the morning but do log onto the website in the meantime.

Nighty night. ][|)

TTFN

R-P
#769253 by Luke085
28 Feb 2011, 23:20
Thanks for the info RP, think I'll use an alternative route this Sept when i'm there.

Luke :)
#769263 by Hamster
01 Mar 2011, 00:00
So all electronic tolls you can't pay cash?

The sunpass website is typically American, hard to navigate and find what information you need... (well could just be me :P)
#769276 by Roxy-Popsy
01 Mar 2011, 08:48
I've had a good nights sleep & am ready to face the world & start to think about my TRs, the outbound of which which be a novel.

Hamster, you are correct, at Milepost 0 to 47 there is no facility to hand over any cash.

Catsilversword, as far as I'm aware it is only the Florida Turnpike, but don't quote me on that, other areas/roads may be affected but we were caught out by this as we travelled down to The Keys on Saturday 19th Feb...& then turn on the local news to see it on TV n(

R-P
#769289 by Alex V
01 Mar 2011, 10:48
IIRC my sunpass cost me about £50 and i drove miami to orlando and back to miami, I didnt use the tolls in any where else and i felt that the sunpass wasnt worth it as the turnpike didnt add up to £50there and back, am i right that this option only works if your travelling all over?

cheers

alex
#769309 by maz
01 Mar 2011, 13:48
We bought one that can be transferred between cars, so we take it every trip and just top up the money, which you do online.

To be honest we had this before the use of electronic only tolls and it has always been well worth it even if only for not having to slow down etc for the tolls.
#769338 by catsilversword
01 Mar 2011, 17:48
And I assume it doesn't have an expiry date either? Sounds like a good idea if it doesn't have one - we have a tag here for a crossing we use sometimes - obviously more often - and it's a real boon.

As an aside - a few years back, we were in Canada and got into the wrong lane at some toll booths. There was nowhere to pay, nowhere to pull over and there hadn't even been any signs before the tolls! We had no choice but to just drive on. Soon after w got home, there was a letter from the car rental people demanding payment of the toll, along with loads of extras.... not good!
#769411 by sunsational
02 Mar 2011, 10:57
Alex V wrote:IIRC my sunpass cost me about £50 and i drove miami to orlando and back to miami, I didnt use the tolls in any where else and i felt that the sunpass wasnt worth it as the turnpike didnt add up to £50there and back, am i right that this option only works if your travelling all over?

cheers

alex

:0 £50 for the Sunpass, they are only $25 for the transferrable one.

More tolls are becoming unmanned around Orlando as we have had to pay online, especially when it is coin only and we have had notes. We bought the $25 Sunpass this past trip as we are flying into MIA in August to save any hassle. y)
#769459 by Roxy-Popsy
02 Mar 2011, 14:41
Hi Alex V

Don't feel too bad, at least you were given the choice, I don't know what our bill is going to be yet so you might still be quids in.

I just want V-Flyers to have a choice after being informed, that's all & not all the car hire companies are informing their customers v( & that's the bit that really pips me off.
#769524 by Kraken
02 Mar 2011, 20:51
The Avis car that I rented at MCO back in January was fitted with a tag for SunPass + whatever the other toll tag system is in Central Florida. The rental agent said you could use the tag for $2/day [only charged for the days you used it to pay a toll] + the cost of the tolls you incurred.

Quite a cost effective & hassle-free option if you are not going to drive around much on toll roads.
#769536 by Roxy-Popsy
02 Mar 2011, 21:48
Bum

Our hire car was from Avis out of MCO & on Avis prefered! :(!

Another point: we booked the car hire ages & ages ago as, even then, there were either no cars showing available or, very pricey.

However, as we went up the categories & reached 'V' class, a 7 seater with 4 bags, it was showing a LOT cheaper than large 4 door :? . So after double checking by logging out & then in again & re-checking, we booked the much larger vehicle.

Now, I don't know what made me check the prices a week before we left but I did. The same category vehicle was showing £60 cheaper. No brainer, so made the new booking & cancelled the first one ;) .

I did have some concerns that I must have made a mistake but when we picked the vehicle up, there it was, a large 'Dodge Grand Caravan' - perfect :D . Apart from not being given ANY info about the darn fully automated tolls or offer of a SunPass.

We spoke to some folks staying at the same hotel about car hire. One chap said that as he'd flown in a half day earlier than origanlly planned, he thought he'd pick his car up then & just pay a bit extra. When he got to the desk, he was informed that his car, nor any other car was available because it was Daytona race weekend, as well as being President's weekend.

Another chap said that he'd been chasing around to hire a car from Fort Lauderale, Sandford & finally secured one at Orlando for the very same reasons as above.

Also, many folks were extending their Presidents weekend because of the scheduled launch of the final shuttle.

My advice is keep checking the car hire prices, even if you've reserved one, although I realise that some of the companies penalise you if you cancel a booking. Avis prefered don't, & they give extra BA miles when you join this scheme(thanks for the tip sunshine oo)

Hope this helps a few folks.

Will let you know how extra I've been charged when the credit card bill arrives in a few weeks time. I may well write a letter or email saying that we were not given any info therefore no choices v( .

TTFN

R-P
#769540 by Tim
02 Mar 2011, 22:09
We are in Florida at the moment.... Florida turnpike is cashless from Miami southwards.
If you use this route then Dollar told me that buying a prepaid pass from them is the ONLY option. The downside is you have to purchase a pass for the full length of the rental regardless of the actual days you are in southern Florida. So they will charge you just over $100 a 2 week rental. Also if you do not buy this pass and use a cashless toll road then Dollar will charge you $25 EVERY time you pass a toll point plus the actual toll not paid.
So be warned....A not very tourist friendly system.
#769569 by catsilversword
03 Mar 2011, 06:38
Tim wrote:We are in Florida at the moment.... Florida turnpike is cashless from Miami southwards.
If you use this route then Dollar told me that buying a prepaid pass from them is the ONLY option. The downside is you have to purchase a pass for the full length of the rental regardless of the actual days you are in southern Florida. So they will charge you just over $100 a 2 week rental. Also if you do not buy this pass and use a cashless toll road then Dollar will charge you $25 EVERY time you pass a toll point plus the actual toll not paid.
So be warned....A not very tourist friendly system.

Crazy. (and busily working out how to get from MCO to Rotonda while avoiding the Turnpike....)
#769570 by catsilversword
03 Mar 2011, 06:50
maz wrote:We bought one that can be transferred between cars, so we take it every trip and just top up the money, which you do online.

To be honest we had this before the use of electronic only tolls and it has always been well worth it even if only for not having to slow down etc for the tolls.

Was just looking at buying one, but it asks you for a car reg number, which of course we won't have until we arrive - it also isn't clear if you can even buy and get it posted to the UK - anyone have the answer to these questions???
#769584 by Neil
03 Mar 2011, 12:28
classybird wrote:Are these electronic only tolls drivethru' or can you stop and pay with credit card at the booth? Husband needs clarification!

Anna

No, they are all drive through.
#769587 by Roxy-Popsy
03 Mar 2011, 12:37
Doh!

I forgot to say that this scheme is being extended in April v( .

I can't remember any more details off the top of my head as it went in one ear & out the other, after the initial alarm bells started ringing.

I'll ask my friends who live in Tavernier for more details & post as soon as I know more.

R-P
Virgin Atlantic