#772806 by HWVlover
27 Mar 2011, 18:02
Mods, please feel free to move this if another bit of the forum is more appropriate. y)

I am aware that a number of computer experts frequent the site so any tips you can give to get rid of this wretched about:home thing would be much appreciated. y)

It has taken over my browser. I stress (and I know I would say that ): ) I have collected this from a reputable site today as my browsing has been limited to such as FB, the BBC, the times, hotmail and here etc.

Any help would be appreciated. At the moment I am using a laptop which is so slow communication would be quicker by snail. :(

Thanks in advance. y)
#772807 by Penny_L
27 Mar 2011, 18:30
Have you tried doing a system restore, which will give you the option of restoring to a point before the virus was picked up.

I usually do this in "safe mode" press and hold F8 key as the machine is starting up and choose safe mode

Then click Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore.

In the System Restore wizard, check the option to "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click next.

In the calendar that appears, choose a restore point and click next. When the operation is complete, your computer will restart and it will tell you that the system was restored.

Obviously, if you had installed programs after the restore date that you chose, you will need to re-install them
#772810 by HWVlover
27 Mar 2011, 18:45
Thanks Penny. y)

I will try that later - unfortunately my Raid array on the desktop is currently having to rebuild itself.

For the moment I am using an antique (well, all of six years old) laptop so communication is a bit slow. In fact, it would probably be quicker with two syrup tins and a bit of string.

Regarding the desktop I would like to avoid a reformat if possible although all the important stuff is all backed up.
#772811 by Penny_L
27 Mar 2011, 18:50
the system restore just takes it back to a point in time, ie yesterday, 2 days ago etc, you choose, you wont need to reformat.
#772820 by HWVlover
27 Mar 2011, 19:30
System Restore didn't work unfortunately. :( The trojan is obviously embedded in that too. :(
#772823 by HWVlover
27 Mar 2011, 19:35
I did indeed :( GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR> :(
#772828 by HWVlover
27 Mar 2011, 20:20
Thank you y)

I have turned off systems restore and downloaded as suggested.

I will do a restart in safe mode when my array has finished rebuilding.

I am running Microsoft Security Essentials on the computer but interestingly MSE did not spot this nuisance.

I have also just downloaded the Chrome browser which currently seems infection free.

I will post how I get on later, perhaps tomorrow morning UK time.

Thanks again y)
#772848 by HWVlover
27 Mar 2011, 23:06
:( That one didn't work unfortunately.

It is still there, on Firefox, when I click on the browser. Interestingly it is rerouting my hotmail (msn) sign off from the UK to the US site.

Chrome seems ok still. I have also just downloaded IE9 so I shall see how that is.

Any further suggestions gratefully received. :(
#772862 by vizbiz
28 Mar 2011, 08:59
Install and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Also, install and run Spybot Search and Destroy and also Super-antiSpyware if the first two don't work.

Between these three, they should fix pretty well anything. The latter two are my favourites.
#772868 by HWVlover
28 Mar 2011, 10:29
Thank you.

Malware Bytes found nothing. I shall try the others later.

I have reset my Mozilla home page to avoid about:home, so far so good.

When I go to hotmail I go to the msn uk page, click on hotmail, get an about:blank page briefly and am then redirected to the us page for sign in.

I still do not know whether this is a problem or just one of those "computer" things. Having found this has confused me further - is this good or bad?

PS This has started since I upgraded to Firefox 4.0
#772907 by vizbiz
28 Mar 2011, 15:20
Looking at the first post in this thread, is there a previous post(s) that better describes the issue you're having?
#773032 by catsilversword
29 Mar 2011, 05:55
[quote="HWVlover"]:( That one didn't work unfortunately.

It is still there, on Firefox, when I click on the browser. Interestingly it is rerouting my hotmail (msn) sign off from the UK to the US site.

Chrome seems ok still. I have also just downloaded IE9 so I shall see how that is.

I've been using chrome for a whilen ow - it seems much faster than IE - but the last few weeks, it keeps teling me flash has crashed.... I've uninstalled and re-installed chrome and that seemed to fix it - but now it's happening again. Have had to resort to IE again, but it's much slower. Any idea why this glitch has happened anyone?
#773056 by HWVlover
29 Mar 2011, 12:10
Cat, you are not alone
#773060 by HWVlover
29 Mar 2011, 12:52
y) After running every known anti-malaware/spyware product known to man and beast and finding nothing untoward I have concluded that this is one of those system glitch things rather than something nasty. ii)

Others have posted in the Chrome forum on the same problem, none yet in the Firefox forum (well, one actually - me!).

So I await "patches".

Thank you Penny, Scrooge and vizbiz (excellent to actually speak to a V-Flyer) for tips and advice. y)

PS And I cannot believe I am saying this - IE9 works perfectly. oo)
Virgin Atlantic