#773773 by craigmonster
03 Apr 2011, 22:13
Quick one;

Anybody have recent experience shopping in Dixons at T3?

Probably going to by a MacBook Air in either at the Airport or in Orlando in about 5 weeks time. Just wondered if the prices were really Apple shop/site minus VAT.

Dixonstravel don't publish their prices :? so I expect they just mark up and don't have to pay a VAT bill - not that I'm cynical or anything....

Gotta consider the BAA Worldpoints as well...

Anyone with recent experience?

Thanks.

Craig.
#773781 by Hamster
03 Apr 2011, 22:30
In my experience, prices have been the same, if not more expensive than "normal" shops, my new camera was £200 more expensive at Dixons Travel compared to Jessops.
They used to offer to price match, not sure if they do anymore.

I expect with Apple products that they might be cheaper as prices seem to be the same at most places.
Let us know how you get on.
#773783 by chumba
03 Apr 2011, 22:45
Can't comment on the specific item you are on about but in Sept i checked the apple online store for prices then checked Dixons travel at T3 when we travelled for a McaBook air,

I bought it in the Apple store in MCO (same as the online store price) and still saved £200 on the Dixons alleged tax free price.
#773789 by mitchja
03 Apr 2011, 22:53
Tinkerbelle wrote:Why not telephone them as their website suggests to ask the prices. The number for their T3 store is 0208 990 9974.

You can also ring & reserve too (or at least you used to be able to). That's what I did when I purchased my MacBook at Dixons T3. The price I paid was indeed the standard UK retail price minus the VAT (17.5% back in them old days :w )
#773792 by chumba
03 Apr 2011, 22:55
Tinkerbelle wrote:Yes the Dollar rate is getting better again making Apple products a lot cheaper again Stateside.

:)

Just hoping it stays as it is so the new iPad works out cheaper !
#773795 by Tinkerbelle
03 Apr 2011, 22:58
chumba wrote:
Tinkerbelle wrote:Yes the Dollar rate is getting better again making Apple products a lot cheaper again Stateside.

:)

Just hoping it stays as it is so the new iPad works out cheaper !

It already does work out cheaper. 8D
#773799 by craigmonster
03 Apr 2011, 23:19
Thanks all.

No CH for us on the way to MCO, (via JKF), so plenty of time to kill;

I'll check out the prices and let you know how it goes.

Good point about phoning! No idea why I didn't think of that - the website even talks about calling to reserve - although all seems a bit suspicious when they don't publish their prices. You wouldn't reserve without checking the price?

Probably go for the Apple shop if prices are close - always nice places to wander around - drooling and justifying...

Thanks again.
#773808 by David
04 Apr 2011, 00:30
4 or 5 years ago, I bought a new laptop at Dixons duty free. Shop price £1600. Spotted it in duty free for around £1300 and thought I would get it in edi the night before so I could set it up / charge it at the Hilton and use on the flight the next day.

Because I was travelling "internally" I was asked if I wanted a VAT receipt ?|

When I pointed to he "duty free" sign and asked why I could get a VAT receipt, I was told because it was an internal flight, Dixons "discount" price to shelf price and thus can provide a VAT receipt :D

As it "technically" was to keep me in touch with work while in the US, it was grabbed with open hands ):

My £1600 laptop ended up costing me around £1050 y)

David
#773832 by Bill S
04 Apr 2011, 08:11
The last time I bought anything at Dixons in an airport was certainly the last time! A very friendly sales guy who asked where I was travelling to and for how long.....
My credit card was taken behind the desk but I could see him turn over the card for the security number.

I had over £8k goods charged to the card within a week - had to have a new card couriered out to me.

Oh! - It was T3!
#773857 by scally
04 Apr 2011, 11:25
I bought my mum a new Macbook from Dixons T1 last year, and it was indeed cheaper than the high street. I think the only way they get to discount the price is because of the "tax free" loophole - Apple control prices too much otherwise, as no other retails seem to discount that much.
As people have suggested, phone them before you travel and check the price. It's also worth phoning a few days in advance, as they may not have stock in... but I think they'll get one for you if you pre-order.
(I never did get around to then reclaiming the VAT through work after that flight! D'oh!)
#774008 by barey
05 Apr 2011, 11:48
I called Dixons at LHR last week to ask about Ipad2 prices - they were only £15-20 cheaper than the UK list price which I found hard to understand
#777905 by craigmonster
10 May 2011, 09:05
Just checked the price of the 13in MacBook Pro in Dixons T3; just under £900; so that's about 10% cheaper than UK high street. So it's gonna be Apple store in Orlando methinks. Nice markup for Dixons though given that their VAT bill be tiny. Although I don't know what BAA charge for the shop location...
Virgin Atlantic