#777468 by totallylost
07 May 2011, 10:35
Hi all,

I'm hoping to buy an Ipad 2 whilst I am in NYC at the end of this month and will be bringing it back in my hand luggage. I won't be using it whilst in the US, so it will still be sealed when I leave the US.

One question I have is, will I have to unseal and open the box when I go through security? I'm suspecting that yes I will, but thought I would ask those in the know.

many thanks

Kyle
Last edited by totallylost on 07 May 2011, 10:55, edited 2 times in total.
#777469 by Rouncivell
07 May 2011, 10:40
I'm doing exactly the same at the end of this month too, but I'll be using it on the flight so will be unpackaged for me.

According to a friend there are still people queueing outside the fifth avenue store every morning so I'll have fun getting one!

As for the security, surely they won't make you open a sealed box?
#777471 by Hev60
07 May 2011, 11:09
Purely from the point of view regarding your "Duty Free Allowance" on returning back into the uk, which is only £300 worth of goods, items like this need to be removed from all packaging I would think ii).

Last Monday at Heathrow, the 'nothing to declare' lane was very busy with several people having their suitcases searched.
We'd bought a couple of top range I-pod touch but they'd already been opened and used in florida, so doubt whether they would have been queried.
#777472 by totallylost
07 May 2011, 11:20
Thanks for the posts, so perhaps if I manage to get one, then I shouldn't leave it sealed and take it out of the box when returning to the UK
#777473 by Rouncivell
07 May 2011, 11:22
Hev60 wrote:Purely from the point of view regarding your "Duty Free Allowance" on returning back into the uk, which is only £300 worth of goods, items like this need to be removed from all packaging I would think ii).

Last Monday at Heathrow, the 'nothing to declare' lane was very busy with several people having their suitcases searched.
We'd bought a couple of top range I-pod touch but they'd already been opened and used in florida, so doubt whether they would have been queried.

Is the OP asking about US security or the UK Customs? I'm unsure

Has the non taxable limit gone up to £390 now or am I mistaken?
#777474 by totallylost
07 May 2011, 11:48
having done a search on Google, it appears that I can bring back goods to the value of £390 without having to pay duty etc. I believe that my purchase will be below this, so I shouldn't have any issues bringin back and Ipad 2 ( if i can get one). I'm not really bothered about the packaging as it'll only get shoved in a cupboard once bag, so I can bin the packaging.

I could be wrong of course and am happy to be corrected. I've never brought electronics whilst on Holiday, so this is all new to me.
#777475 by mitchja
07 May 2011, 11:52
I've never had an issue buying electrical items in he US and bringing them back home through customs. I've bought cameras, iPads, Apple TV boxes and several iPods to name just a few.

I just make sure I don't have paper receipts or leave items in boxes.

Apple stores always give you the option to email or print your receipt. Just get them to email it to you.

Take it out of the box, put the iPad in your hand luggage and leave the box in your checked luggage.

I wouldn't risk leaving the iPad in it's box in your checked luggage. Better still, if you can live without the box, just leave that in the US.
#777476 by Rouncivell
07 May 2011, 11:53
totallylost wrote:having done a search on Google, it appears that I can bring back goods to the value of £390 without having to pay duty etc. I believe that my purchase will be below this, so I shouldn't have any issues bringin back and Ipad 2 ( if i can get one). I'm not really bothered about the packaging as it'll only get shoved in a cupboard once bag, so I can bin the packaging.

I could be wrong of course and am happy to be corrected. I've never brought electronics whilst on Holiday, so this is all new to me.

Binning the packaging is probably the best option. If there are issues with the iPad Apple still fix them in the UK and without the box :)

Out of interest which flight are you on?
#777479 by mitchja
07 May 2011, 11:58
Also for the iPad2 3G models, make sure you get the GSM AT&T version as the Verizon CDMA models wont work in the UK.
#777480 by tontybear
07 May 2011, 11:59
Rouncivell wrote:Is the OP asking about US security or the UK Customs? I'm unsure

Has the non taxable limit gone up to £390 now or am I mistaken?

I think Kyle means US Security as his hand luggage would be scanned there as per usual security rules. Normally they want laptops etc in a tray on their own. So as long as he puts it in a tray on its own it should be OK but if the TSA agent askes for the package to be opened then he will have to open it.

And yes the allowance is now £ 390 for all goods you bring in. See this from the HMRC

In my experience Customs are only interested if you look as though you are bringing in loads of things into the country so unless you have loads of bags etc you are very unlikely to get stopped (though having your new iPad in a carrier bag in plaim view will attract their attention you so keep it secure in your hand luggage)
#777481 by mitchja
07 May 2011, 12:01
TSA also often ask you to turn lap-tops/iPads on in front of them to make sure they are legit.

I got a proper jobs-worth at LGW earlier this year. Normally I just leave my iPad in the same neoprene carry case as my MacBook, but noooo, this one wanted them completely separate going through the x-ray.
#777482 by totallylost
07 May 2011, 12:02
Thanks Mitchja, I'm only travelling with Hand Luggage, so no issues with checked luggage. I'll just bin the packaging.

Rouncivell, I'm Out on the 28th May on VS45 and Back on the 4th June on the VS46.

The challenge of course will be trying to find an Ipad 2. If I find one, can I get it activated in the apple store in the US so that when get to the airport I can turn it one and show that it's working?
Last edited by totallylost on 07 May 2011, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
#777483 by mitchja
07 May 2011, 12:12
For US iPads you may also need to get yourself a UK plug for them once you get back home in order the charge it up.

There's still the non-charging issue with all iPads when plugged into many types of PC USB sockets. As iPads require a higher input voltage, many PC USB sockets don't supply enough voltage to charge the iPad up whilst syncing. They do charge up (even though the iPad screen says it's not), but it's very very slow.

Macs dont have this USB charging issue.
#777484 by Rouncivell
07 May 2011, 12:26
totallylost wrote:
The challenge of course will be trying to find an Ipad 2. If I find one, can I get it activated in the apple store in the US so that when get to the airport I can turn it one and show that it's working?

If the shop is quiet I'm sure they will activate it. If it is busy they will probably ask you whether you want to or not. If you choose yes it'll probably be a 10-15min wait. If they don't offer, just ask :) They'll be happy to do it :)

In terms of charging it in the UK, you can use an iPhone/iPod charger if you have one but it will charge at half the speed as the iPad power cable is 10W whereas the iPhone ones are 5W but the iPhone one will still charge the iPad perfectly safely but it will just take a bit longer :)
#777486 by tontybear
07 May 2011, 12:38
totallylost wrote:Hi all,

I'm hoping to buy an Ipad 2 whilst I am in NYC ...
Kyle

Just rememberd some advice from Tinkerbelle there is an Apple Store on W14th St/9th Ave that is a lot quieter than the main one on 5th Avenue near Central Park.
#777502 by downhillski1
07 May 2011, 14:27
I've never had an issue bringing anything back. Brought back a MacbookPro and a satellite phone on my last trip, and while they were searching people's bags, they didn't ask to search mine.

Does anyone know if the SIM card slot on the GSM iPad meant for AT&T is unlocked and can be used here?
#777526 by Tinkerbelle
07 May 2011, 15:31
I have never had to take my iPad out of my bag going through US security and the TSA even stated last year that the iPad could stay in hand luggage during screening unless your bag then required secondary screening.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/04/traveling-w ... s-and.html

I had also never taken my iPad out of my bag in the UK until recently when I got a jobsworth of a BAA employee - they accused me of lying when I said I had always left it in my bag going through UK security. :(!
#777528 by Rouncivell
07 May 2011, 15:34
downhillski1 wrote:
Does anyone know if the SIM card slot on the GSM iPad meant for AT&T is unlocked and can be used here?

Yup it's unlocked but you'll need a Micro Sim card for it like the iPhone 4. 02, Orange, 3 and Vodafone do them
#777529 by mitchja
07 May 2011, 15:35
All 3G iPads bought direct from Apple are SIM free and completely un-locked.

The only ones locked are the subsidised ones bought from the mobile networks which come with contracts.
#777731 by neildale4
09 May 2011, 08:34
Hi, I would open the box and fully test your iPad 2, I have had 4 in total, all had screen defects (bad light bleeding and dead pixels)
I have gone back to the first model, i have just read that Apple are now working on the iPad 3! With a retina screen......could be worth holding out for.
I don't play high end graphic games on my iPad, mostly movie watching on the move and Internet surfing, all of which the first model does very well, ok it's slightly thicker but it's hardly a tonne weight to carry around, I like the shape too as it matches my iPhone 4.
Hope this of help.
#780876 by tontybear
03 Jun 2011, 01:19
totallylost wrote:Ok, so 3 outta da 4 apple shops visited in Manhattan and no wifi iPads available. One left to try 2morro, but it's looking very doubtful that I'll find one .

best get there early and join the queue
#780879 by Luke085
03 Jun 2011, 07:28
totallylost wrote:Ok, so 3 outta da 4 apple shops visited in Manhattan and no wifi iPads available. One left to try 2morro, but it's looking very doubtful that I'll find one .

Bestbuy sell the ipad too, possibly may have luck there. There is one somewhere on 5th (sorry i can't be more precise, I popped in there but didn't pay much attention to exact location, it's near Grand Central)
Virgin Atlantic