#778375 by Luke085
13 May 2011, 22:09
Hello,

Just a bit of feedback really, how do you all stay connected whilst abroad?

Laptop, netbook, ipad, smartphone etc....

We often see so many commenting on here or completing TR whilst "on the road" and thought it would be interesting to see the most commonly used methods.

Thanks,

Luke
#778377 by buns
13 May 2011, 22:17
I tend not to write TRs whilst "on the road" but Mrs Buns and I now take our trusty I Pad to keep in touch - via WiFi ):

We have invested in one of these to keep costs low in the States where there is no Free WiFi

buns
#778378 by Martin
13 May 2011, 22:17
Yes - all the time, particularly in the USA where you can get wifi in bars, hotels and the office. I generally get both my laptop and BlackBerry connected all the time (except here in the JFK lounge where the wifi is still slow and tedious to connect to).

If posible I avoid using the roaming on my laptop and BB as I believe it costs a fortune (although I am fortunate that I never see the bills).
#778380 by MrT
13 May 2011, 22:28
I always take my laptop away with me, usually book hotels strategically to have access to cheap/free wifi. And then sync my iPhone now and then during the day when I come across free (and safe to use!) wifi.
#778383 by slinky09
13 May 2011, 22:59
I have two iPhones, one for the US (which is most of my travel) and one for the UK, I also have two 3G data cards, again one in the US and one UK. Additionally I have my iPad and laptop. So am pretty well connected.

There's a great caleld Free Wi-Fi - download the app and connect at home to download the database, then wherever you are in the US you tap in your ZIP and it will share local places with free Wi-Fi, don't forget, in the US at least, almost if not all Starbuck's have free Wi-Fi.
#778404 by pjh
14 May 2011, 11:31
iPod Touch and most recently HTC smartphone. On our US trip at Easter the only time we were out of free wifi contact was in the room at the Washington Hilton, where we had to go to the exec lounge instead.
#778410 by downhillski1
14 May 2011, 13:29
I'm definitely not a normal case because of where I travel, but I use free wifi when it's available and I also have a US and UK mobile broadband dongle.

When I am on assignment where T-Mobile doesn't have a booster pack, I use this: www.abroadband.com

And when in far away places, I use this for making calls (60p/min from anywhere to anywhere): http://www.inmarsat.com/Services/Land/I ... only=False

and this for data (about £4.50 per MB!!!): http://www.groundcontrol.com/BGAN_Explorer_500.htm

I also use Skype on my iPhone and always carry my laptop.
#778411 by tontybear
14 May 2011, 13:38
I take my lappy with me and use the hotel wifi (try to stay in places where its included in the rate).

Am not that fussesd about always being connected - if I'm out for the day then I'm out for the day - and FB etc (and yes even V-flyer!) can wait until I get back.

I even turn my mobile off when I board at LHR and don't turn it on until I land back there (apart from once where the banging of my bag somehow managed to turn it on mid flight and I only realised on landing!)

I do of course undertand that people who travel for work have different needs and that there are a number of FB addicts too ...
#778416 by thelaceys
14 May 2011, 14:20
Laptop every time and take advantage of free wi-fi wherever possible. Also have access where we stay in the US to use of the office PC for free too. ;)

The other half always comments on how I need to stay in touch with my 'virtual' friends in my little bubble world :D
#778419 by Hamster
14 May 2011, 15:14
I take my smartphone (whatever one I have at the time :-P) to text and use WiFi
We also take our iPads to make use of free WiFi.
Also use computers at the hotels we stay at (if they have them)

We don't go looking for free WiFi when out and about whilst away, but normally make use of it when we come across it.
#778420 by Tinkerbelle
14 May 2011, 15:22
I take my iPad and iPhone with me and use wifi to connect when overseas. If a hotel charges for wifi then I go to Starbucks or another cafe (eg Panera Bread) and sit with a coffee browsing. Apple Stores also have free wifi worldwide.

When calling home I use my US cellphone which is on the Virgin USA Pay as you Go plan - I top it up with $20 every 90 days and the credit lasts for a long time.

:)
#778424 by Lucydog
14 May 2011, 15:45
:| Sorry I am very old fashioned, I suppose just take my mobile, and use hotel computers with wifi if offerd,When the others think ive gone shopping. ): My family like us to be computer and mobile free if possible, and enjoy our 3 weeks away. n( We are all over the place in the week so its just us on holidays.
#778441 by HWVlover
14 May 2011, 21:48
Lucydog wrote::| Sorry I am very old fashioned, I suppose just take my mobile, and use hotel computers with wifi if offerd

Even more old-fashioned. Kit of choice on the flight is a good old notebook and pencil - for all those passenger numbers, menu choice and "aroma" details. (there were actually tear stains on THAT particular page!! ii) )

Otherwise it is the android smartphone for girlie gundog related texts etc and of course the lappy on which I am communicating right now - not only does our hotel have a super range of cocktails but also free wi-fi y)
#778455 by Luke085
15 May 2011, 00:28
Thanks to everyone for replying.

In response to my own question, I tend to use my iphone at the moment, never really wanted to travel with my laptop as generally have enough hand luggage as it is.

Hoping to buy my ipad in Sept in Florida, may get a netbook but hear lots of negatives about them!

Luke
#778468 by Jacki
15 May 2011, 05:51
I use the Iphone and have a small lightweight laptop for travel - like you waiting to get the Ipad 2. It's amazing how easy (and cheaper) it is to stay in touch now compared with only a few years ago.
#778489 by catsilversword
15 May 2011, 18:14
Netbook - one of the priority criteria for rentals we pick is wifi connectivity! I KNOW how sad that makes me and - er, can't even apologise for it! Not au fait with dongles and stuff and have my blackberry settings to turn off data when roaming...

I'm thinking of getting a blackberry playbook though - if they ever get released here....

As an aside - I think I had some incompatibility issues this time with my (Acer) netbook and the (Netgear) router. I couldn't get it to browse, though it was connected and strongly so.... I did go to a local library and used their wifi with no probs - and also inadvertently picked up next-door's unsecured wifi (!) - but other than that, had to make to with being hard-wired. Anyone heard of this before???
#778518 by tonywestsider
16 May 2011, 02:33
For travel in the US, I take my cell phone and I have an ipod touch, where I can sometimes can get free wifi in many places in the country. For international travel, I have two cell phones, one for Europe (which I am still puzzled in how to use the thing) and one for Asia. I also take the ipod touch with me on international travel, where ideally I would be on a paid internet service provider for wifi or get wifi free somewhere. I haven't figured that out either. I prefer staying at hotels that have internet available on their computers. Ultimately, I will get an iphone with some sort of global calling card if necessary.
#778550 by Mrs Rae
16 May 2011, 10:44
slinky09 wrote:I have two iPhones, one for the US (which is most of my travel) and one for the UK, I also have two 3G data cards, again one in the US and one UK. Additionally I have my iPad and laptop. So am pretty well connected.

There's a great caleld Free Wi-Fi - download the app and connect at home to download the database, then wherever you are in the US you tap in your ZIP and it will share local places with free Wi-Fi, don't forget, in the US at least, almost if not all Starbuck's have free Wi-Fi.

Thanks for this I will have a look at this app for our next trip.

x
Virgin Atlantic