#780228 by honey lamb
29 May 2011, 16:15
I'm am relying on you, my good friends, to tell me exactly why I need an iPad as opposed to wanting one (which I do but I'm trying to justify the spend :D ) Currently in my possession I have a Nokia dumbphone (but am very tempted by a current offer on iPhones), a MacBook which I bring with me everywhere even on holidays where I use it for checking emails, uploading photos and surfing the net - just like at home, and an iPod touch which quite frankly I don't use all that much these days. I don't have a Kindle or any other gadgetry.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated :D
#780230 by Nottingham Nick
29 May 2011, 16:28
Sorry, but I say no. :D

I have debated this endlessly. I live on my iPhone and think it is without a doubt the best bit of kit I have ever had. I also have my MacBook and think this is the second best.

I just can't justify to myself getting the 'in between screen' 8D . If I was spending far more on trains and planes, then I may reconsider.

Don't get me wrong, iPads are brilliant, but I can't see what I would get that I don't have already. :|

Nick
#780231 by HighFlyer
29 May 2011, 16:39
Ah, want versus need.

What I'd suggest is that rather than get an iPad you look to switch that Nokia into an iPhone. I finally got an iPhone after years of wanting one and simply love it, I can do everything on it from keeping up to date with email, Facebook, Twitter, making calls, sending texts, listening to music, taking photos and videos, read books, check the status of the tube, etc, etc. I actually find that its a reasonable replacement to my laptop in certain situations.

If you still use the Mac and are happy with it I see the iPad becoming a secondary device for you, whereas replacing the phone likely wont cost you much more intitially but will give you much of the same functionality.

Don't forget that there are many apps for the Mac now, not just the iPad and when Mac OS Lion is released in the summer I think this market will get better and better.

I love the iPad but I think its best use is as a coffee table device, if you want something to keep you connected while you are mobile then I think the iPhone is where its at.
#780233 by HWVlover
29 May 2011, 16:53
No. :X

An Ipad is a nice piece of kit (our newest "friends" had one - yes, those "friends!!!!" ): ), however a smartphone (android, iphone or windows based) and a laptop should cover all your needs whether at home or away.
:X
#780235 by mitchja
29 May 2011, 17:28
I have to say that since using iPads, my Macbook has gathered a bit a dust and doesn't come out to play much now.

iPads are just so much easier to surf the net with. They are instant on and everything is there and working straight away, no waiting to boot up etc etc.

Having a 3G version of the iPad means you can surf the net anywhere. My iPad comes to work with me and I can surf to net or watch BBC iPlayer etc during my lunch and other break times....and yes I'll admit it.....I use my iPad to watch iPlayer whilst in the bath too :|

It's great for taking on a trip with as it's lighter and easier to carry than my Macbook.

Not applicable to home users but from a corporate user point of view, the iPad also great for using with a VPN, Exchange server and Citrix too in a work environment, although it does look odd using a 'Windows' type O/S on an iPad when your using Citrix!!
#780236 by Neil
29 May 2011, 17:36
I'm also firmly in the yes camp. When I got my iPhone it was the best thing I ever bought, until I got my iPad. It is so easy to use, especially for every day thighs like surfing the net, watching YouTube etc, way easier and quicker than having to use a laptop.

Like James, my laptop just became less and less used and in the end just got rid of it (yes, we still Luke's, but I personally never use).

I think those of us that have them, absolutely love them, I don't know any of my friends who think differently either - owning is believing!!!
#780237 by mitchja
29 May 2011, 17:41
There's a camera connector available for the iPad which means you can connect your digital camera directly to your iPad to store/send/upload your digital camera photos. It cost me about £30 and works very well.

One thing I will say though, the cameras on the iPad2 are quite frankly rubbish and not much use for anything other than video conferencing. They are not a patch on the iPhone camera(s). Think of them as web cams rather than a digital camera.

3D apps for the iPhone4 and iPad2 (they need a forward facing camera to work) are also now not very far away (there's already a very basic 3D demo app available now) and will offer the same 3D functionality as the Nintendo 3DS without the need of glasses.
#780240 by slinky09
29 May 2011, 18:33
Yes.

For me it's become indispensable:

- I listen to music
- I've loaded it with favourite films when on a A343
- I play a load of games from PvsZ to scrabble
- I read email on it all the time
- I've loaded apps to store work reading on it and sync with my laptop, it's so much easier reading a document on an iPad when in a lounging position
- I play games
- It takes seconds to start
- It's so easy to use
- Great for social stuff like IM and Facebook
- There's the most amazing world of information available through free apps
- I can watch Doctor Who
- So many brilliant travel apps, like ITA on the fly ...
- If you travel and want to research restaurants I think Urban Spoon on the iPad beats anything, it's just so damned good, then in a click you're in Open Table and booking
- For work, the WebEx app is ace

And more - of course it's also sexy, funky, and makes the owner look young, beautiful, and incredibly attractive. Just as we all are eh Dear Lady HL?
#780244 by Slipperman
29 May 2011, 18:46
slinky09 wrote:
And more - of course it's also sexy, funky, and makes the owner look young, beautiful, and incredibly attractive. Just as we all are eh Dear Lady HL?

I'll take ten!! :w
#780246 by Jacki
29 May 2011, 19:02
Can someone please tell me where I can buy one (tried again today but still sold out) and then I will be very happy to offer an opinion! :(
#780249 by neildale4
29 May 2011, 19:52
I had 4 ipad 2's all had display problems, went back to the original ipad and have been happy ever since.
The cameras are really naff on the ipad 2 and do you really need cameras on the ipad?
Surfing the internet was no faster and no difference in video watching quality, I don't play graphic hungry games so couldn't comment on that speed.
Save your money for the ipad 3 rumoured to be released before the end of the year.
Try the reconditioned section on the Apple store for an original iPad at a knock down price........P.S. i'm a massive apple fan and have MacBook Pro, iPhone 4, AppleTV and the iPad.....
#780251 by mitchja
29 May 2011, 19:58
Jacki

Apple Stores are your best bet (if there's one near you). The best way to guarantee you get one is to reserve one online before visiting the actual Apple store. This can be done here

The reserve online service only comes online at 21:00 every night and will display which iPads are available to reserve in your selected Apple Store for the following day only. You do have to be pretty quick though as these reservations don't last long!!

Once you reserve the iPad model you want, you then just enter a time you are likely to be in the store to collect it. You pay in the actually Apple store when you pick it up.

I don't know what stock levels are like now in Apple stores, but when I got mine the other month, there where none in stock in the Trafford Center store at all.
#780252 by DragonLady
29 May 2011, 20:09
Mmmm. I'm afraid I'm in the no camp at the moment too. Having queued for hours in Vegas and missing out by one person I'm now slightly relieved. Mr DL brought one home from work for me to try over an extended period of time and I really struggled with it (that was his big worry when he was in the queue with me at stupid o'clock ii) ). I''ve got an iphone which does more than I need. Maybe I'm just old fashioned (and a bit of a technophobe) but I've just bought a replacement laptop (for my battered HP) as I simply find it more comfortable to use.
Having said all that I'm heading back stateside in a few weeks and might be tempted when the thing is in my hands again as I'm bound to end up in an Apple store at some point, for as slinky points out they are tres sexy :) .
DL
#780256 by honey lamb
29 May 2011, 20:38
Oh dear, I'm no wiser or better off. I should have mentioned that I struggled about getting an iPhone and decided against as to be honest, I don't get or make many phone calls or texts (Betty Nomates, that's me :o) ). I tend to use email or Skype more as many of my regular contacts are overseas - just as you all are, dear friends. The one time I really wished I had a smart phone/mi-fi/dongle was when I was in the west of Ireland recently and, in the absence of wi-fi at my sister's and nieces' homes, suffered severe withdrawal symptons :(

Thank you, everybody. I appreciate your comments. y) Please keep them coming
#780261 by CHill710
29 May 2011, 20:51
honey lamb wrote:Oh dear, I'm no wiser or better off. I should have mentioned that I struggled about getting an iPhone and decided against as to be honest, I don't get or make many phone calls or texts (Betty Nomates, that's me :o) ). I tend to use email or Skype more as many of my regular contacts are overseas - just as you all are, dear friends. The one time I really wished I had a smart phone/mi-fi/dongle was when I was in the west of Ireland recently and, in the absence of wi-fi at my sister's and nieces' homes, suffered severe withdrawal symptons :(

Thank you, everybody. I appreciate your comments. y) Please keep them coming

I don't send many texts or make many phone calls as i too prefer to keep in touch with people by e-mail that said i do have an iPhone (3G) and do use the internet on that when i am in my Flat at work (Salisbury) and do not want to have to wait for my lap top to turn on or when i am out and about.
I do however want an i Pad and will hopefully get my hands on one in the states in January for use when i am at 'home' (Weymouth) and to use instead of my iPhone when i am using it in my 'work home' as it has a larger easier to read screen. This will then save me from taking my heavy lap top and all its plugs and cables (as my battery is almost dead) between my two homes.
#780262 by chumba
29 May 2011, 20:58
Personally i didn't buy one when they first came out as i used my macbook air, that said i did buy an ipad2 in the US a few weeks back and love it. Has more battery life than the macbook for planes etc, as not all planes as we know have power/empower etc, so for me the longer power is a plus.

Only issue though is to put content on it you need a computer to sync it with, unless you pay to download films etc. So i spend a few hours before going anywhere putting content on it, which doesn't really cause an issue.

Excellent for web browsing/email as it starts up very quickly, have used it for facetime/skype and found no issues with the camera/image quality.
#780263 by David
29 May 2011, 21:11
I bought a 1 when they were reduced after the 2's came out (sounds wrong :| :D ).

I have laptops and we have just replaced our old blackberrys with new blackberry torches. This was after a huge debate about iphone vs blackberry.

I had originally thought that if the ipad was good, I would get an iphone instead of a blackberry.

The ipad is good .... but its got a couple of flaws (for me anyways) - the first one was discovered on a trip to Disney, which has great internet access, but wired, not wifi - so the ipad was no good unless you take a router with you - another piece of kit to pack.

The second is the whole flash issue - the ipad is a great size to be able to surf the net, but when half of it doesn't work ("you need to upgrade your flash player to view this content") it kinda defeats the purpose.

The apps are good, but most of the ones I have are to try and solve the no flash issue.

I am seriously thinking of getting the new 10.1" Samsung Tab or the new blackberry playbook - both support flash ! and I am sure my nephew or niece will be happy with a castdown ipad :)

David
#780266 by Luke085
29 May 2011, 21:38
I'm still in the process of trying to decide the same thing!

My iPhone is great and to be honest, I can do everything I need to using this.

The lure of the iPad is the speed of it, design and additional benefits ie easier to type!

I've left it until my Florida trip in sept to decide!

I'd say go for it!
#780293 by tontybear
30 May 2011, 00:44
Bring back Button B to get your sixpence back is what I say !
#780303 by honey lamb
30 May 2011, 07:13
tontybear wrote:Bring back Button B to get your sixpence back is what I say !

Don't you mean "Bring back Button B to get your tanner back" :w
#780305 by catsilversword
30 May 2011, 08:45
Hoe do you cope though without a usb connection? My main use for an ipad would be when travelling. OK when using wifi, but I had problems with wifi in the last house we stayed in - was showing a good connection, but would simply not browse unless I hard-wired it. It (netbook) connected fine with wifi elsewhere - means I'd have been a bit stuck if I'd had an ipad with me...

Thoughts? I'm sorry if I'm being a total numbskull here... :(
#780419 by catsilversword
31 May 2011, 06:14
mitchja wrote:There's a camera connector available for the iPad which means you can connect your digital camera directly to your iPad to store/send/upload your digital camera photos. It cost me about £30 and works very well.

How do you connect this though. as there's no socket I can see on the ipad???
Last edited by honey lamb on 31 May 2011, 07:30, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited to fix quotes
#780420 by catsilversword
31 May 2011, 06:22
The ipad is good .... but its got a couple of flaws (for me anyways) - the first one was discovered on a trip to Disney, which has great internet access, but wired, not wifi - so the ipad was no good unless you take a router with you - another piece of kit to pack.

My worry too - and I really don't want to be taking yet another piece of kit away!

I am seriously thinking of getting the new 10.1" Samsung Tab or the new blackberry playbook - both support flash ! and I am sure my nephew or niece will be happy with a castdown ipad :)

Oooh - let me know what you think! I'm very drawn to those, even though they're not yet released in the UK. Though if they also have no usb option, the same problem as above could apply.....
Virgin Atlantic