#786552 by Concorde RIP
21 Jul 2011, 11:03
I have a nano, purchased in the UK (latest generation).

Now, it's a great little gadget, but there's a volume limit that you cannot change, and it limits the volume to a a level that is just a little quieter than I would like!

Does anyone know of a way to change it (hac it?).

I've tried changing it on the nano, but it reqires a pin that I don't know. I've tried editing the .xml settings file, but don't know what value to use, and it seems to get reset by the nano once turned off and on again.

Finally, if I bought one in the US, would this feature be different (I.E., is the limit an EU nanny-state thing?).

Any help, very much appreciated.
#786568 by locutus
21 Jul 2011, 12:32
The PIN is set by the user, so if it's already set, have you tried a factory reset?

Also, does this work?

plug your ipod in, go to my computer and access the drive direct from there, and go to the ipod control-> device folder access the file called _locked in this is a cleartext of the 4 number password.
#786569 by Concorde RIP
21 Jul 2011, 12:38
Actually, there is no pin as I've never locked the volume limit which is currently 100%.

What I want to do, is increase that volume limit - when examining the settings.xml file, this is set to 216, and if I change it, it gets reset by the nano next time it's switched on, and I don't know what value to use anyway!

So, the thing seems to have a maxium volume that you can get out of it, what I want to do is raise the ceiling - permanently.

Thanks in advance...
#786602 by Concorde RIP
21 Jul 2011, 19:22
Well, yes! That's the idea - forgotten about that bit from ST...

Seriously though, does anyone know how I can better deaden myself?

Also, if I bought one in, say, the USA, would it also have this limit (that is set just a smidge too low, in my opinion).

PS - it's not the headphones, I've tried lots, and I'm using the most sensitive I have right now, and it's still not loud enough:D
#788699 by Leanne
17 Aug 2011, 16:46
I have no idea but was having a similar conversation with my friend the other day, she says hers is awful and she has a new nano. I have a first generation one :0 and the difference is shocking.
#788804 by Moley
19 Aug 2011, 10:19
Concorde RIP wrote:Well, yes! That's the idea - forgotten about that bit from ST...

Seriously though, does anyone know how I can better deaden myself?

Also, if I bought one in, say, the USA, would it also have this limit (that is set just a smidge too low, in my opinion).

PS - it's not the headphones, I've tried lots, and I'm using the most sensitive I have right now, and it's still not loud enough:D

The limit is an EU thing: Clicky. I'm 90% sure that the one my mate bought in the US didnt have a restriction.
Virgin Atlantic