#788620 by Sarahjx
16 Aug 2011, 21:25
This is probably a really dumb question lol but...im taking my own sat nav over to the USA (with updated USA maps ofcourse =P) and im just wondering if the in car cigarette charger thing will work with american cars too? I assume that it will and those charger things in cars are a worldwide standard size or whatever?
#788623 by Slipperman
16 Aug 2011, 21:29
Sarahjx wrote:This is probably a really dumb question lol but...im taking my own sat nav over to the USA (with updated USA maps ofcourse =P) and im just wondering if the in car cigarette charger thing will work with american cars too? I assume that it will and those charger things in cars are a worldwide standard size or whatever?

Yes, it will. Our TOMTOM worked perfectly from the cigarette/12v socket.
#788625 by flabound
16 Aug 2011, 22:04
yes. and dont call them sat navs . they are GPS's over here......

and the funny story is -we were driving home a while ago and my wife was on her cell(mobile)to our American friend who asked if we found our destination ok. Wife replied 'yes the sat nav got us there'..followed by a silence and our friend replying 'thats a bit rude to call Pete that'.......she thought my wife had said 'fat man' and was being rude about me !!!! she had no idea what a Sat Nav was :-)

and no I dont need to lose weight !
#788659 by Jeffers555
17 Aug 2011, 11:27
We in the UK are very conversant with American terms. It's strange how it never seems to work the other way round.

"Two nations seperated by a common language" is so true.
#788662 by David
17 Aug 2011, 11:45
Jeffers555 wrote:We in the UK are very conversant with American terms. It's strange how it never seems to work the other way round.

y)

This is the same with spoken languauge - "we" can almost always understand them, but they have difficulty understanding some of the UK accents - I think it's lazyness !

David ;)
#788664 by DarkAuror
17 Aug 2011, 11:53
David wrote:
Jeffers555 wrote:We in the UK are very conversant with American terms. It's strange how it never seems to work the other way round.

y)

This is the same with spoken languauge - "we" can almost always understand them, but they have difficulty understanding some of the UK accents - I think it's lazyness !

David ;)

God, the times I've been asked if I'm Australian by our friends from across the pond when I'm from the West Country. :w

Mind you, I was in a sports store in Vegas and someone recognised my accent. He spent 3 years at Norwich University but his housemate was from Wiltshire.
#788666 by honey lamb
17 Aug 2011, 12:13

"Two nations seperated by a common language" is so true.

Same with spelling. Someone posted details of a promo on the VS Facebook page and three US contributors queried it's validity because of two perceived spelling "mistakes" until it was pointed out rather forcefully that it was the UK spelling
#788667 by flabound
17 Aug 2011, 12:46
jeffers you are right they are not conversant with 'our' terms mainly because many belive the world ends at either the east or west coast of the USA.
yet another classic, I was coaching sacca (cos they ave their own fooball!!!) to some kids 13-16 and a girl at High School asked seriousy " So you are from England huh, but you speak English right,how come?"
yes i respond" the clue is in the name of the country and language. Why what did you thnk we spoke?"

" French"

I kid you not
#788672 by tontybear
17 Aug 2011, 13:42
I'm sure Sarah Palin once said 'Axle of Evil' ...

But yes two countries seperated by a common language.
#791344 by nowt ont clock
17 Sep 2011, 08:53
we may be wandering off topic a little but...... Previous posts very interesting, however it's not really a surprise when you consider a broad Geordie conversing with a broad Cornishman/woman? I would dare bet there would be more than a modicum of misunderstanding 'twixt the two fellow countrymen/women and thats with only around 400 miles of countryside between them, not the Atlantic Ocean ;)

Interesting all the same.

NOC
Last edited by nowt ont clock on 17 Sep 2011, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
#791348 by katie666
17 Sep 2011, 09:10
I live 25 miles from Newcastle and we have friends who live 10 miles from Birmingham. Conversation isn't difficult; we each speak to each other in a slow monotone voice as though the others are a bit thick :) No problem!!

Katie :)
Virgin Atlantic