#790932 by Jeffers555
12 Sep 2011, 09:36
I am looking to upgrade my noise cancelling headphones and I am drawn to the Bose QC15's.

I just wondered if the price of £279 is worth it or if there are any other alternatives that are reccommended?
#790933 by Concorde RIP
12 Sep 2011, 09:45
Can't comment on the specific, but I've moved away from noise cancelling, to quality "over te ear" head sets focusing on comfort and quality of soulnd.

I got some Audio Technica head phones 18 months or so ago, about £140, and they are some of the best quality I've heard - and very comfortable for long periods, tough etc - in short I'm extremely pleased with them.

As they are such a great fit and well made, the lack of noise cancelling doesn't enter into it - in my opinion, and you don't have to worry about batteries etc, and your ears aren't getting the unheard noises that are being used to cancel out sounds.

Just my two-cents...
#790937 by Alex V
12 Sep 2011, 10:23
I have QC3 and i am very happy infact couldnt be happier!

My wife bought QC15, to me they sound the same however she is over the moon with them and loves them, i do prefer on ear sets versus over ear.

Neither of us care little for technology per se, but if you pay a lot for something they should be awesome, thats what i reckon on most things, not saying i always buy expensive but its my rule of thumb!

Blah blah blah they are great headphones, dont know why i didnt say that in the first place. ii)

Monday mornings what a drag ?|

cheers

alex
#790942 by chumba
12 Sep 2011, 11:30
Jeffers555 wrote:I am looking to upgrade my noise cancelling headphones and I am drawn to the Bose QC15's.

Not sure what you are looking to upgrade from? But i recently enquired in a BOSE store about the QC15's and they would allow me to trade in my QC 3's against the QC15's and would allow me £140 for them.
#790943 by Martin
12 Sep 2011, 11:34
I have a pair of QC15s and I think they are great. No hesitation in recommending them. I prefer the over-ear type to on-ear for long flights as I find the latter press too hard over a long period. I used to have Sennheiser on ear, but they were neither as effective or as comfortable. I originally bought QC2s and then upgraded them to QC15s for $89 at the Bose store in New York city.

Yes, Monday mornings are a drag - lessened somewhat by being the clubhouse waiting for VS19 :)
#790948 by stevebrass
12 Sep 2011, 12:06
I use QC2 - really happy with them - they really do let your enjoy sound whilst flying.
#790950 by DragonLady
12 Sep 2011, 12:27
Martin wrote: I originally bought QC2s and then upgraded them to QC15s for $89 at the Bose store in New York city.

I did the same a few months ago and upgraded my old QC2s to the QC15s for the same cost as Martin ($89) whilst I was in Delaware (and no tax either ;) ). I too prefer the on -ear variant and yes, they really are worth the money :) . I have other headphones that are non noise- cancelling and I find that the difference is significant. IMHO the QC15s are a far superior product to the QC2s (which did the job just fine too :) ).
DL
#790954 by slinky09
12 Sep 2011, 13:36
As people say, trot into your Bose store and mention the word "upgrade" (ensure you have your old ones with you) - then try out the QC3s or QC15s and see what they offer - it should be about half the price of a new pair of QC15s (that is if your current ones are a QC model).

Bingo y) .

PS I have the QC3s and prefer them, I can sleep with them on for example ... one other thing, the problem with in-ear headphones on planes is that a lot of sound is conducted through your skull, and esp. the mastoid process behind your ear, so if you leave that uncovered you will still hear plan noise more than an over ear headphone ...
#790960 by Concorde RIP
12 Sep 2011, 14:14
I'd encourage folk to examine options outside of noise-cancelling as well - my headsets have padding allround, so don't actually touch your ears, are not noise-cancelling - yet, I bearly hear a sound. And, I've frequently slept with these on my head, and woken up without sore/hot ears, yet they cacoon me in the sound of what I happened to be listening to before I dropped off!

What I do hear, is superb quality of sound reproduction - all for 140 quid!

It's all personal choice, of course, but I'd say beware the law of diminishing returns. Yes, generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

But bear in mind, the sound source is typically Ipod/Ipad/mp3-player of some sort, or maybe the IFE - in any event, they are poor sound sources in terms of quality. So, after a point, your buying increased quality of headphone that will never be realised due to source inadequacy.

As these are typically used for travelling, after a certain point in terms of sound quality and ability to cut out exterior noise, the quality of construction is a big factor as well as they get a fair degree of trauma during said travels and you want them to last - I assume!
#790988 by Petmadness
12 Sep 2011, 19:27
Jeffers555 wrote:I am looking to upgrade my noise cancelling headphones and I am drawn to the Bose QC15's.

I just wondered if the price of £279 is worth it or if there are any other alternatives that are reccommended?

Just a note to say that when I was in Naples,FL last month I went to 2 separate Bose shops and both said that the QC 15 were the headphones to have as they had the best technology. They even persuaded me away from the more expensive QC 3's as they didn't believe that the sound was any better but you were paying the extra for the rechargeable lithium battery.

I bought them for my Dad and he was delighted with the sound and the price $310 including tax! :D

Hope this helps y)
Mark
#791009 by slinky09
12 Sep 2011, 21:11
Concorde RIP wrote:But bear in mind

Sorry Concorde to pick your post, the miscreants are multiple.

PEOPLE STOP SAYING BEAR IN MIND

"Bear" is a noun meaning large hairy animal. To "bear" is to carry a baby. There is no such verb as "bear". Are you carrying a baby? OMG I am so over this one!
#791016 by Concorde RIP
13 Sep 2011, 00:12
Slinky - so much so that you feel the need to post in duplicate?:-)

You do know, do you not, that I am going to be studying every post you make for errors of grammar and spelling:D

I really hope your pedestal feels secure...heeheehahadidiheehee!

Let battle commence:V
#791017 by Martin
13 Sep 2011, 03:05
slinky09 wrote:"Bear" is a noun meaning large hairy animal. To "bear" is to carry a baby. There is no such verb as "bear". Are you carrying a baby? OMG I am so over this one!

Slinky

I think Concorde has used the expression correctly. The verb to bear, carry or hold is used in this context. Bear in mind = carry [that thought] in your mind.

There are many uses of bear, shown here as a phrasal verb.

Back OT, the part of Concorde's post I disagree with is about exploring non-noice cancelling options. QCs and other NC headphones are often used with no music source - I regularly use them purely for the peace and quiet. I'm sure they are much more effective than non-NCs in that regard.

Cheers

Martin
#791021 by Jeffers555
13 Sep 2011, 08:09
Thanks for your thoughts guys. It looks like I will be off to a BOSE store very soon.

slinky09 wrote: the problem with in-ear headphones on planes is that a lot of sound is conducted through your skull, and esp. the mastoid process behind your ear, so if you leave that uncovered you will still hear plan noise more than an over ear headphone ...

I will bear that in mind ;)
#794775 by Travelling man
02 Nov 2011, 16:03
Hi,

My wife and I have been using the original over the ear Bose Quite Comfort headphones for about 10 years now and wouldn't travel without them. If the cost is a problem, Bose stores in outlet malls in the states usually have them for about $299 so under £200
Virgin Atlantic