#791035 by Neil
13 Sep 2011, 11:55
I'm looking for any advice or tips people might have for what/how they access wireless data/internet whilst in the US.

Obviously using roaming is a no no because of the stupidly high charges, and with the growing need (or maybe just personal desire) to access the internet whilst out and about I have been looking at the options.

Mifi seems to be the way to go, but there are a couple of options it seems. Virgin mobile US do a mifi which costs $150 and then offer packages of $10 for 100mb (to be used within 10 days), $20 for 500mb (used within 30 days) or $50 a month for unlimited.

The other option would be to buy an unlocked mifi from say Amazon (about £60), and then I have read that AT&T do a voice/data sim only package which could work.

Does anyone have an experience of using mifi whilst in the States, or have any other options I haven't considered?

Cheers
Neil
#791037 by downhillski1
13 Sep 2011, 12:12
A mifi is great. Super fast and relatively cheap data, but cost a lot to buy. If you already have a UK broadband dongle, you can unlock it (as I have with mine) to work with any SIM card like the unlocked mifi would. You would be limited to AT&T or T-Mobile, which generally aren't as good as Verizon, but you'd save yourself the £60 for the unlocked mifi. If you need help unlocking yours, just shoot me a message.
#791046 by mitchja
13 Sep 2011, 14:55
I use a Virgin Mobile US PAYG MiFi dongle as well. Got mine from RadioShack in San Francisco. As with many PAYG plans, you have to buy a top-up at the same time.

Very easy to set-up and activate. Can be topped up using either vouchers or online using a credit card (my UK VS Amex card does work with it). It wont work anywhere else though as it's CDMA (so no SIM card) which is not compatible with any GSM network the rest of the world uses.

Anything GSM based (AT&T) also wont work with T-Mobile US 3G either as T-Mobile 3G is different again. Too many networks in the US using too many different systems!!! What ever you say about UK and Europe mobile networks, at least we all use the same standard mobile technology!!!

I believe it's very difficult to get a data package from AT&T without a long term contract.
#791048 by Neil
13 Sep 2011, 15:06
Thanks for the replies - think the Virgin Mobile mifi is the way to go.

James, I assume there is no issue with it being inactive for a period. We will obviously use it in October, but then it will be March next year before we need it again, I'm guessing there will be no issue with just topping it up again then?

Thanks,
NEil
#791049 by mitchja
13 Sep 2011, 15:14
I'm actually on the original Virgin Mobile data tariffs which comes with truly unlimited usage for 30 days. I also only have to pay $40 for an unlimited 30 day top-up as well.

Since then Virgin Mobile have changed their tariffs slightly (I believe their unlimited tariff is not actually truly unlimited anymore) plus it's an extra $10.

I've just logged into my account and I can see this:

Available Cash Balance
$0.00

Service Expires On
03/05/2012

...which will be exactly 12 months since I last topped-up when I was in Florida so my account will last 12 months without needing to be topped up.
#791100 by buns
13 Sep 2011, 21:36
Another vote for Virgin Mifi

The fact that you can run up to 5 machines on it, means it was great when Mrs Buns & I went to New York recently as we could use, I pad, I Touch & I phone all at once!!

buns
#791111 by Hev60
13 Sep 2011, 23:25
think the Virgin Mobile mifi is the way to go

OMG, I've only just learnt about WiFi and now you're talking another cyber type language - mifi? ii) Why wasn't I born in a different age era!!!!! ?|
#791179 by mcmbenjamin
15 Sep 2011, 04:29
Interesting to read the replies.

T-Mobile does a pre-paid for the iPhone. Easy to set-up. Had it for a bit.

AT&T and T-Mobile devices will work with each other if unlocked. The devices sold by the carrier are locked to that carrier. If you have an unlocked phone, all you need is the SIM.

AT&T does a 'post-pay' iPhone plan with no contract if your iPhone is unlocked. $36 activation fee and monthly rates. I will pop in tomorrow when I walk past and see what the details needed are to set up. Been a while.

How long are you coming to the USA for Neil?

Perhaps not 100% helpful to Neil's iPhone question: Virgin Mobile has the Peel. It fits on an iPod Touch and acts as 3G for it via WiFi. Neat.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-b ... -3200.html

Verizon, Virgin Mobile, Sprint are CDMA
AT&T, T-Mobile are GSM
GSM not equal to CDMA
CDMA is faster and has better signal than GSM nation wide.

There are deals on all the 'MiFi's etc at Target. I'll pop in tomorrow.

Also, IIRC iPads are unlocked. You can get an AT&T SIM and data plan VERY easy for the iPad. That would do the trick, yes?
#791180 by mcmbenjamin
15 Sep 2011, 04:39
Also note that many of the Pre Paid providers use Sprint's network including Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Cricket, and a few others. Can get challenging.

Cricket has a MiFi for about $100 that is $45/mo 2.5GB.
#791186 by Neil
15 Sep 2011, 07:37
Thanks Ben.

In the US for 16 days this trip, but got a couple of long trips next year and also a couple of quick weekend trips lined up, so potentially lots of hotel charges ahead.

My iPhone is unlocked, and I think the AT&T thing you mentioned is what I read about in a blog, but the guy just put the sim in his unlocked mifi and used the data, losing the voice allowance.
#791239 by Tinkerbelle
15 Sep 2011, 14:04
mcmbenjamin wrote:If you don't mind being somewhat 'wired', you can buy a Boingo 30 day unlimited WiFi access to about every WiFi spot ever (including most Marriott hotels) for $9.99.

Sadly there are no Boingo hotspots in Disney for Neil to use. ;)
#791240 by Neil
15 Sep 2011, 14:09
Tinkerbelle wrote:
mcmbenjamin wrote:If you don't mind being somewhat 'wired', you can buy a Boingo 30 day unlimited WiFi access to about every WiFi spot ever (including most Marriott hotels) for $9.99.

Sadly there are no Boingo hotspots in Disney for Neil to use. ;)

That is that option out of the question then :D
#791244 by mcmbenjamin
15 Sep 2011, 14:27
Don't know if this would work... Get an iPad data plan but use it in the iPhone?

Personally, I would not want to carry a MiFi around to use with iPhone. I am a man of few things in my pockets.

I enjoy the iPhone while traveling as it provides guidance and key information while using location based apps.
#791247 by Neil
15 Sep 2011, 14:34
Thanks Ben.

I also share that slight concern about *another* thing to carry around with me, but the benefits of the mifi are that when we are static it is handy as we have 2 iPhone, iPad, and will be buying Macbook Air whilst on there this trip, so it will allow us to use multiple devices from it.
#791249 by Tinkerbelle
15 Sep 2011, 14:41
I never even noticed I was even carrying a MIFI around as it is so small and light. It just stayed in the pocket of my bag that I always have with me anyway. I even thought I had lost it at one point as I couldn't see it in my bag!
#791250 by Neil
15 Sep 2011, 14:45
Tinkerbelle wrote:I never even noticed I was even carrying a MIFI around as it is so small and light. It just stayed in the pocket of my bag that I always have with me anyway. I even thought I had lost it at one point as I couldn't see it in my bag!

We don't 'do' bags, just pockets, so with phones, car keys, wallets, tickets, something else is a pain, but still the best option I think.
#791254 by mitchja
15 Sep 2011, 15:12
The Virgin Mifi is about the same size as a credit card albeit thicker, but at only 8mm thick it's not exactly huge. It only weighs a few grams as well.
#799959 by rtlynes
15 Jan 2012, 22:18
Hi All

Don't know if its of interest, but have just spent a week in San Francisco and Las Vegas.

Don't know if its new, but you can walk into an AT&T store and pick up a free ipad pay as you go sim, cant remember what all the price breaks were, but i paid $25 to get a 2gb data plan for up to 30 days.

Speeds were very good, well as good as 3g does get anyways.

I also picked up the t-mobile 4g wireless hotspot $129 with 1gb of data allowance for $30 for up to 30 days.

Speeds in the arse end of Vegas were approaching 4-5mbit so plenty fast enough.

Now if only i could find a solution for the iphone. Was stuck with a t-mobile sim, and unlimited data/calls / international calls for $70 for the 30 days.

Well like i say i hope this helps someone out. It doesnt appear the thread had been updated for a while.

Rob
#801536 by James!
30 Jan 2012, 12:45
When I was in the States last year I bought an AT&T PAYG micro SIM for my iPhone to use while I was there.

A quick message to O2 got the phone unlocked then I downloaded the settings for AT&T onto the phone while I was waiting to board at the airport.

I couldn't justify the up-front cost of a mi-fi device since I don't travel abroad that much, plus using a regular PAYG account meant I had a local number for making calls and sending texts which came in very handy.

Pro-tip - after unlocking an iPhone when you put the new SIM into it you need to connect sync it in iTunes to reactivate it or it won't work. This took me an embarrassing couple of days to work out!
Virgin Atlantic