#791317 by Kraken
16 Sep 2011, 19:55
I never thought I would be typing this (as my work involves supporting Windows PC's). However, since buying an iPad2 and really liking it, I can foresee that I will be buying a late Christmas present when in the USA in February, a Macbook.

I know that keyboards normally have a slightly different layout in the USA when compared to the UK (normally the @ and " are transposed and the £ and € symbols may be hard to find). Is the same true for Apple / Macbook keyboard layouts?

I know I could scour the internet to try and find the answer... however, equally, I know there are quite a few Apple fans on here, more than a few of whom have probably purchased in the USA.

Thanks
James
#791318 by MrT
16 Sep 2011, 19:59
I know that it used to be; some years ago I had a Powerbook with a US keyboard with the symbols moved around and a small enter key. Was quite annoying, in the end I took it to an Apple store and they put a UK keyboard on it for me - cost about £50 IIRC.
#791320 by Neil
16 Sep 2011, 20:06
Yes, the US keyboards will be as you have described (no £ etc). If you do a quick Google you will see there are a few quick and easy ways to solve it. I'm going to be buying a MacBook Air out there in a couple of weeks and the savings easily outweigh the slight inconvenience of having a US keyboard.
#791323 by honey lamb
16 Sep 2011, 20:25
OK folks, I'm typing this on my MacBook.

Yes, the @ and " are transposed but I do have a £ sign above the 3 as well as a € sign above the 2. Having said that, I bought mine at Dixons in T3 when they had some deal with MacBooks and the pound and euro was at parity. Otherwise I might have bought in the US and have found a slightly different keyboard. The MacBook was made in Cork not 30 miles from where I live! :o)

Having said that I have found many of the symbols that are "missing" by using the Alt key along with the numbers.