#798664 by HWVlover
02 Jan 2012, 11:36
Hi all,

My adventure in Australia is booked.

I shall be taking my android phone (data turned OFF) for texting back to UK. For local calls etc I shall take an old unlocked mobile from here and pick up a PAYG sim at my arrival point.

But I want to take my laptop. Assuming the Bruce Highway (Brisbane to Cairns and beyond) is not littered with Starbucks offering free wifi I was curious to know my alternatives. Specifically has any one made any use of laptop "dongles". If so any recommendations would be appreciated. I won't need a huge amount of data allowance - just enough for here (TRs?), e-mails and Facebook.

Thank you.
David
y)
#798666 by locutus
02 Jan 2012, 12:05
On my Android I use ChompSMS for texts and you can purchase web texts which work out about 7p per text, so as long as you have wifi, you can send cheap texts and they will come from your number.
#798671 by locutus
02 Jan 2012, 12:24
There seem to be quite a lot of data options, like you can buy an overpriced Virgin Australian SIM here in the UK or buy something like this out there.

I'd put the SIM in your android and tether your laptop to it and use your existing SIM in the old unlocked one, if you want to receive texts, otherwise you're going to have to buy a dongle or mifi.
#799455 by Golfman
10 Jan 2012, 06:18
Hi
I have just returned from a trip to Auss. Had the same issues regarding phones. As the previous post suggested, I picked up a SIM from amaysim when I arrived. They are available from 7-eleven stores. I did have to try several stores before found one in stock, but was told that just before Xmas lots of tourists had bought them. For me the $39.90 SIM was ideal, gave unlimited calls, text to Auss numbers, and 4GB data valid for 30 days. Put the SIM in my unlocked HTC Desire, and used tethering for the wifes phone and laptop etc. Used skype for overseas calls. You will have to call customer services to start with to activate the SIM, (free from the phone) and will be required to register an adress (hotel is fine) and passport number. Account can be accessed from website afterwards. Only downside was calls to Auss 1-300 numbers not included.
Have a good trip.
#799457 by slinky09
10 Jan 2012, 06:40
Check out places with free WiFi too, apparently all MacDonald's stores in Aus have free WiFi for example ...
#799511 by HWVlover
10 Jan 2012, 19:22
Thank you for the guidance. y)

I think that the Amaysim SIM card is the way to go for the android (also an HTC Desire). And tethering solves the problem with the laptop. y)

I cannot remember the last time I was in a MacDonalds but sense a few McFlurry moments could also be forthcoming as I wander north in Queensland. Hopefully not too many :$

Thanks again. y) y)
#799581 by mitchja
11 Jan 2012, 05:27
You may need to check that the tariff you are going to be using in Australia does include tethering and many don't. Often network providers either don't allow it or charge you extra for tethering with a mobile phone.
#800476 by HWVlover
20 Jan 2012, 14:04
mitchja wrote:You may need to check that the tariff you are going to be using in Australia does include tethering and many don't. Often network providers either don't allow it or charge you extra for tethering with a mobile phone.

Thanks for that James. Tethering is indeed included with the Amaysim sim. And 4gb of data too which should be enough for a TR or several!! y)
#803248 by HWVlover
20 Feb 2012, 10:54
slinky09 wrote:Check out places with free WiFi too, apparently all MacDonald's stores in Aus have free WiFi for example ...

Clearly having far too much time on my hands ):

MacDonalds in Brisbane, Hervey Bay, Gladstone, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns.

Wifi problem solved. y) y)

And god bless my waistline.....and cholesterol levels.
:0 :0
Virgin Atlantic